Maybe we are looking at group projects wrong.

Game Editor comments and discussion.

Maybe we are looking at group projects wrong.

Postby NightOfHorror » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:35 am

GE, through its change in the last 13 years, has had a constant, failed group projects. I thought of another method perhaps that could be used instead. I was thinking of all the group projects and the one thing they have in common is the large lengths they have. Even looking at the group project I had tried to start, Dark Hole, that would be years of work, with hope of online development. I was thinking that maybe we could take a game, that is medium range in length, not exactly a Pong game, and not a Winter Blast Remax, and work together on that instead. Not only that, but instead of 10 people trying to work at once, maybe just a few, like an artist, an actual coder. Perhaps like how Co-Authors work. The first author writes the book, and the second, usually more established author, changes it to what they believe is better, and then at the end, an editor for the grammatical and spelling errors in the writing.

I am just saying this as a suggestion, I am not trying to force this as the new structure, just a thought to change how we do things.

Thanks if you took the time to read, think about it, and suggest how I could smooth this idea a bit. :)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12136
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that wont work." quoted by Thomas Edison.
Over the year, I decided my motto for me is I am knowledgeable, but not practical.
NightOfHorror

Score: 51 Give a positive score

Re: Maybe we are looking at group projects wrong.

Postby CrackedP0t » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:55 am

Sounds like a great idea.
If you want to start a project, I'd be in.
Also, maybe the team could use GitHub, but it takes a little time to learn to use.
/人 ◕‿‿◕ 人\
Fang Pictures, my game development company:
http://fangpictures.comuf.com
CrackedP0t

Score: 8 Give a positive score

Postby MrJolteon » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:32 am

Free City's a pretty big group projectcurrently developed by just me though but still (referring to the size of the game), and I would say it's pretty successful. It's almost in beta, and now I'm experimenting with isometric graphics.
Join us on Discord!
Game Editor 2
These are the best ways to reach me these days

Your local Community Janitor, always lurking in the shadows...
MrJolteon

Score: 105 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:52 am

NightOfHorror wrote:GE, through its change in the last 13 years, has had a constant, failed group projects.

As MrJolteon has pointed out there are successful group projects (outside the forum). The Apalia HD games were group projects and were completed. There have been no real forum projects that have succeeded though which is the projects you are thinking of. Organizing people to work on a project of any size is hard through a forum. All group projects I have been a part of that succeeded required a faster forum of communication. Another thing, the main reason Steamrun hasn't succeeded yet, is the lack of art assets. I notice most of the more interested users can do the programming, but the art side is usually lacking. So team talent distribution is also something that is required. If you found a dedicated, and talented enough, artist for a group project then it has a much higher chance of succeeding.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby NightOfHorror » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:13 pm

skydereign wrote:
NightOfHorror wrote:GE, through its change in the last 13 years, has had a constant, failed group projects.

As MrJolteon has pointed out there are successful group projects (outside the forum). The Apalia HD games were group projects and were completed. There have been no real forum projects that have succeeded though which is the projects you are thinking of. Organizing people to work on a project of any size is hard through a forum. All group projects I have been a part of that succeeded required a faster forum of communication. Another thing, the main reason Steamrun hasn't succeeded yet, is the lack of art assets. I notice most of the more interested users can do the programming, but the art side is usually lacking. So team talent distribution is also something that is required. If you found a dedicated, and talented enough, artist for a group project then it has a much higher chance of succeeding.

Yeah, art holds back a lot of games in general in GE. Not much that can be done about that either as everyone has a life and most want pay for using their time on art, and those who will do it for free, are available rarely.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12136
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that wont work." quoted by Thomas Edison.
Over the year, I decided my motto for me is I am knowledgeable, but not practical.
NightOfHorror

Score: 51 Give a positive score

Return to GE - General