Application Support

Ideas for Game Editor evolution.

Application Support

Postby marathon332 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:56 pm

I realize that Game-Editor is a tool dedicated to making games and I really love it.

However, at some point, it would be a nice upgrade to the product to make Game Editor a little more application-friendly too.

This software is a little weak in string handling, math and text input and some added functions to beef these up would make it much better IMHO.

Internet and device connectivity would be nice too.

Games would be somewhat more intelligent and interactive and developers could leverage off of the excellent multi-platform capabilities of Game Editor to make a few simple applications to sell in addition to their games.

It would really round out the product nicely.

The way I see it, Game-Editor is one terrific piece of software that has remarkable capabilities.

Over time, I know it will gain a wide following because I'm not aware of any software in it's price bracket that can compete on so many levels.

Even large companies have a hard time delivering what Game Editor does so simply and elegantly.

But, I've strayed from the point of this post......

--Steve
Editor
PDA and Mobile Today
http://pdatoday.blogspot.com

P.S. The new SmartPhone and VGA Support in v1.33 is AWESOME!
marathon332

Score: 2 Give a positive score

Postby willg101 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:03 pm

So true!
http://www.wish-games.com
Old betas now available!!
willg101

Score: 5 Give a positive score

Postby Joshua Worth » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:39 am

you can make text inputs. We have already asked about networ support, and it is not easy to program.
Stay sweet
Joshua Worth

Postby marathon332 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:43 pm

Joshua:

Thanks for pointing that out.

My point however is, that Game Editor is weak in the area of string handling, input, etc. Not that it doesn't have it.

The way it handles these things is clumsy in comparison to other development environments. It's not powerful at all. Only adequate.

I'm sure that's because Makslane is not thinking about applications but is focused on the graphical/animation aspects of game development.

That's why Game Editor is so good at game dev but weaker from a strictly programming perspective. Which is what you'd expect.

And of course users can write their own functions to overcome much of this if they know how. It would just be nicer and easier if it was native.

My thought was that if he worked on this area at some point, he could actually create a tool that would be valuable to serious application developers too. (Of which I'm one)

It would expand the reach and functionality of Game Editor and the games would benefit too.

However, I'd have to say that in terms of priority, this would be way down the list.

We need things like sprite rotation, joystick support and others things first.

-- Steve
Editor
PDA and Mobile Today
http://pdatoday.blogspot.com
marathon332

Score: 2 Give a positive score

Postby Joshua Worth » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:23 pm

Rotation and resizing would be good, exept for ppc, which would go quite slow. But it would be nice to have it!
Stay sweet
Joshua Worth

Return to Feature Requests