Direct Frame Buffer Access

Ideas for Game Editor evolution.

Direct Frame Buffer Access

Postby asmodeus » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:30 pm

What about the feature of direct frame buffer access? SDL (what is used by GE) has got the feature of getting the frame buffer pointer to individual manipulate pixels. Maybe that feature in GE would be very interesting, and it would make thinks like the "RayCastle" faster ;)
It's also useful is people want to write custom draw functions for example to draw special custom shapes quickly.
asmodeus

Score: 43 Give a positive score

Re: Direct Frame Buffer Access

Postby akr » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:59 pm

In principle this is a good idea. But almost all newer ge engines use opengl. For opengl there is no "direct buffer access".
The framebuffer is encapsulated in hardware. We could think about exposing some opengl functions to public.
Co-Developer of GE engine

If u are interrested in new features of apple or android ge engines check the engine support website game-editor.net regulary.
akr

Score: 40 Give a positive score

Postby asmodeus » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:17 pm

akr wrote:In principle this is a good idea. But almost all newer ge engines use opengl.

Does Game Editor really use OpenGL by now? I haven't been using GE for a long while, and as so far as I remember GE only offered simple drawing functions what was easily possible in SDL.
asmodeus

Postby akr » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:56 pm

All newer ge engines i ported use opengles: mac, iphone, ipad & android. Otherwise performance on iphone, ipad and android would be unacceptable.
With opengles e.g. games like 1945 run at full frame rate on iphone and android.

Woher kommst Du genau?
Co-Developer of GE engine

If u are interrested in new features of apple or android ge engines check the engine support website game-editor.net regulary.
akr

Score: 40 Give a positive score

Postby asmodeus » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:26 pm

akr wrote:All newer ge engines i ported use opengles: mac, iphone, ipad & android. Otherwise performance on iphone, ipad and android would be unacceptable.
With opengles e.g. games like 1945 run at full frame rate on iphone and android.

Woher kommst Du genau?

Okay, I didn't know about that. I currently don't use GE any longer and work with the SDL or SFML gaming library and C++.

Bin aus Nordrhein-Westfalen.
asmodeus

Return to Feature Requests