gameEditor 1.4.1 Announcement [Beta Released]

Questions, comments and discussion about the Game Editor development.

Re: gameEditor 1.4.1 Announcement [Beta Released]

Postby skydereign » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:13 am

The linux/windows beta of 1.4.1 has been released! Changelog is in the first post, as well as the download link.

247wkman wrote:nudging actors!- i was just gonna mention this (i forgot it was on the list). when canvas envelops your actors and has higher z level you can't crab your other actors behind it- just end up grabbing canvas like a fly bumping into a window. using actor control to select and d-keys to move would prevent the musical chairs of z changing to grab stuff- yay.

You can actually hold down left control to grab an actor behind other actors. If there are multiple actors in the way just keep holding control, and each click will go one actor further down.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby lcl » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:46 pm

Sky, are you sure you uploaded the correct version?
All the new features or bug fixes seem to be missing..
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:16 pm

lcl wrote:Sky, are you sure you uploaded the correct version?

The Linux version was correct, but I forgot to copy over the new windows version. Should be fixed now.
skydereign

Postby lcl » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:25 pm

skydereign wrote:The Linux version was correct, but I forgot to copy over the new windows version. Should be fixed now.

Ok. Great, I'll get to try it tomorrow! :)
lcl

Postby Hblade » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:05 pm

Now I'm pumped =D
Subscribe to my YouTube? - Yes| No
Hblade

Score: 181 Give a positive score

Postby Jagmaster » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:16 pm

Awesome, I'm soo glad to have a better way to delete actors. :D Script window resizing is going to prove to be quite useful with outrageously long sprintfs's
Also, dat nudging... that's a huge bonus.

Here's my beta feedback (from playing around with it for a few minutes.)
I'd like to have some of the keyboard shortcuts without the added ctrl button bound to it (specifically the delete and nudge, they'd be more accessible with just "delete key" and "arrow" keys).
I have no idea how the editor works, so maybe there's a reason for that. If not, is there any chance we could have a custom menu for keyboard shortcuts perhaps? (maybe in version 1.4.2 or later on).
But that's my picky feedback...

You've done an awesome job. It's soo good to see the development ball rolling again. You get a point as well as this ...

Jagmaster

Score: 82 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:19 am

Jagmaster wrote:Here's my beta feedback (from playing around with it for a few minutes.)
I'd like to have some of the keyboard shortcuts without the added ctrl button bound to it (specifically the delete and nudge, they'd be more accessible with just "delete key" and "arrow" keys).
I have no idea how the editor works, so maybe there's a reason for that. If not, is there any chance we could have a custom menu for keyboard shortcuts perhaps? (maybe in version 1.4.2 or later on).
But that's my picky feedback...

There's nothing preventing that within the code. The idea was eventually to have gE controls entirely customizable via a preference menu, but I still have to set all of that up (color themes will be there as well). As for the reason I chose to do it that way, eventually you will be able to add events, animations, and anything else you can do with the actor control panel by hitting keys (without the control key). With that in mind there would be a lot of overloaded keys (a to add animation, ctrl-a to add actor). One of my major goals for gE dev is to reduce the need for a mouse as currently there is way too much clicking getting in the way of really fast use of gE. Of course one of the other major goals is to have support for command line gE, which could remove the need for mouse entirely.

Jagmaster wrote:You've done an awesome job. It's soo good to see the development ball rolling again.

Thanks! With any luck I'll get the mac version working soon, as well as the other exports, and gE 1.4.1 will be officially released. From there gE development should remain fairly stable.
skydereign

Postby lcl » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:08 pm

AAAWWW YYYEEAAAAHHH!! :D

This is just perfect!! This must be one of the greatest days in the history of GE, since
the Wait for frame / Immediate action -bug has finally been solved! :D
I mean, really, It's impossible to describe the feeling of hitting that Cancel -button, then selecting Immediate Action and seeing
GE manage it just as if it was only natural to not crash.... I'M IN LOVE! ♥ :lol:

Same goes for the unparenting glitch finally being fixed Image
It seems that the bug had actually something to do with setting the parent, because the fix doesn't
work when unparenting actors that have been parented using the old version of GE.

That nudging is really a feature I've needed so many times. I absolutely love it!
This whole thing... all of it is so great, I don't know how to express my thankfulness and appreciation to you, Skydereign.
I'll definitely give you a +1 for your hard work and all the effort you've put into making this!

There's only one thing that doesn't seem to work, the shortcut for locking an actor. It seems to be the same as for
loading a project.

I'd also like to know the correct syntax for the new 2-functions. I could make the function dialogs for them, since I've played
around with that functions.xml-file containing some of the most simple functions' function dialog definitions and I'd like to
contribute to GE development somehow. I know it isn't much, but it's something I could do :mrgreen:

Once more, thank you skydereign! :)

EDIT:
skydereign wrote:One of my major goals for gE dev is to reduce the need for a mouse as currently there is way too much clicking getting in the way of really fast use of gE. Of course one of the other major goals is to have support for command line gE, which could remove the need for mouse entirely.

That is awesome, I prefer using keyboard over mouse whenever possible.
lcl

Postby skydereign » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:54 pm

lcl wrote:There's only one thing that doesn't seem to work, the shortcut for locking an actor. It seems to be the same as for
loading a project.

Nice catch. I wrote it wrong in the first post, locking an actor is just l.

lcl wrote:I'd also like to know the correct syntax for the new 2-functions. I could make the function dialogs for them, since I've played
around with that functions.xml-file containing some of the most simple functions' function dialog definitions and I'd like to
contribute to GE development somehow. I know it isn't much, but it's something I could do :mrgreen:

Everything counts. The getAnimName/getAnimIndex/DestroyTimer 2 functions use the syntax you'd expect from gE functions (added char* to the front), and getclone2 is the typical getclone2.
Code: Select all
char *getAnimName(char *actorName, int animIndex);
char *getAnimIndex(char *actorName, char *animName);
int DestroyTimer(char *cloneName, char *timerName);
Actor* getclone2(char *actorName, int cloneIndex);
skydereign

Postby lcl » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:08 pm

skydereign wrote:Nice catch. I wrote it wrong in the first post, locking an actor is just l.

Oh, I see. Great. You may want to make it change the text in the right click menu. It's a little confusing with the menu saying 'Lock actor' when it's already locked.
Otherwise it's great.

skydereign wrote:Everything counts. The getAnimName/getAnimIndex/DestroyTimer 2 functions use the syntax you'd expect from gE functions (added char* to the front), and getclone2 is the typical getclone2.

Okay thanks, I will start working right now. Will send you the modified functions.xml-file via a PM.
lcl

Postby skydereign » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:30 pm

lcl wrote:Oh, I see. Great. You may want to make it change the text in the right click menu. It's a little confusing with the menu saying 'Lock actor' when it's already locked.
Otherwise it's great.

Does that happen? Right now you can't toggle the lock while in the right click menu, but it should lock/unlock properly and the right click menu should always be showing the correct state.
skydereign

Postby lcl » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:02 pm

skydereign wrote:Does that happen? Right now you can't toggle the lock while in the right click menu, but it should lock/unlock properly and the right click menu should always be showing the correct state.

I took a closer look.. It actually does change, but it just can't seem to follow all the changes. For example, when you first create an actor, and then right click it without locking it, and then lock it with l, it still shows 'Lock'
instead of 'Unlock' when you open the right click menu again.
lcl

Postby Jagmaster » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:48 pm

One of my major goals for gE dev is to reduce the need for a mouse as currently there is way too much clicking getting in the way of really fast use of gE. Of course one of the other major goals is to have support for command line gE, which could remove the need for mouse entirely.

YES

I will finally be able to quit clicking like a n00b! Wunderbar!
And yeah, that ctr-nudge thing makes sense now if it's planned to control the menu.
Jagmaster

Score: 82 Give a positive score

Postby Turon » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:05 pm

:D Thank you Skydereign! :D
Turon

Score: 32 Give a positive score

Postby Turon » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:44 pm

Jagmaster Wrote:
Script window resizing is going to prove to be quite useful with outrageously long sprintfs's,

How do you resize the Script editor?
Jagmaster Wrote:
Also dat nudging... that's a huge bonus.

How do you nudge? I did what skydereign said.
Turon

Score: 32 Give a positive score

PreviousNext

Return to General