Screen aspect ratio

Ideas for Game Editor evolution.

Screen aspect ratio

Postby Novice » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:23 pm

It would be nice to be able to tell GE to keep the aspect ratio while in full screen mode. I have a wide screen monitor and i hate seeing my game stretch while I'm making a game for a 4:3 monitor and I would want someone playing on a wide screen monitor to experience the non-stretched version of my game.
It would also be nice if we could select the color used to keep the aspect ratio (the color represented by # in my pretty drawing :roll: ).

Normal full screen
---------------------

Keep aspect ratio
----------------------
Why do i always get stuck?
Novice

Score: 5 Give a positive score

Postby makslane » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:33 pm

Your system is making the stretch, not Game Editor.
makslane
Site Admin

Score: 182 Give a positive score

Postby Novice » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:16 am

Is it possible for GE to override system stretching and force it to keep the aspect ratio? I mean in the future of course.
Why do i always get stuck?
Novice

Score: 5 Give a positive score

Postby makslane » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:29 am

I will see if is possible
makslane
Site Admin

Score: 182 Give a positive score

Re: Screen aspect ratio

Postby Cleve Blakemore » Fri May 23, 2008 5:53 pm

I second the motion - my 1024x768 game is getting stretched badly on a widescreen and I'd really like to see the screen letterboxed to retain the aspect ratio. As mentioned, would also be great if you could pick the color to be used for the outside area.
Cross Platform executable generation in a 4GL C-Scripted Compiler? I've got your Game Maker hanging right here.
Cleve Blakemore

Score: 1 Give a positive score

Re: Screen aspect ratio

Postby DST » Fri May 23, 2008 8:04 pm

well from what i've seen, most widescreen monitors of any type don't have any aspect rules of their own; that's one reason i really hate them. Everyone has a friend or two with a widescreen television where they watch squashed versions of tv programs....it drives me crazy! i want to smack them and tell them to go buy a real monitor!

The point is, everywhere i go, there isn't much in the way of handling aspect ratio in widescreen monitors. ITs kinda sad.

I think the monitor manufacturer should deal with the problem! But they never do!

The other downside to it is, if any of you have ever been into emulation, that it wastes a lot of cpu. Zsnes runs fine on a 350 mhz celeron....but not if you stretch to match tv aspect ratio! Now i doubt any of us are still using 350 celerons, but the point remains valid. 3.58 mhz snes cpu + scaled to fit screen = 350mhz cpu can't do it!
It's easier to be clever than it is to be kind.
http://www.lostsynapse.com
http://www.dstgames.com
DST

Score: 151 Give a positive score

Return to Feature Requests