gameEditor 1.4.1 Announcement [Beta Released]

Mac specific questions and discussion

Re: gameEditor 1.4.1 Announcement [Beta Released]

Postby speckford123 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:34 pm

Well, I was making a random game with sprites that were scaled up.
But now the window can soon be changed in size.
Now I'll have to shrink all my sprites or else I'll feel bad about not being efficient.

-First world problems
speckford123

Score: 49 Give a positive score

Postby lcl » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:50 pm

speckford123 wrote:Well, I was making a random game with sprites that were scaled up.
But now the window can soon be changed in size.
Now I'll have to shrink all my sprites or else I'll feel bad about not being efficient.

-First world problems

:lol:

But seriously, this scaling feature will be so useful, and it'll benefit SABRE a lot!

Skydereign, how have you set up the resolution changing?
I mean, will it automatically scale things when changing the resolution, or will there be an option to choose to not scale anything automatically? So, would it be possible to just change resolution, e.g. make the view actor bigger if speaking as if we were in Game Editor?
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:51 am

lcl wrote:Skydereign, how have you set up the resolution changing?
I mean, will it automatically scale things when changing the resolution, or will there be an option to choose to not scale anything automatically? So, would it be possible to just change resolution, e.g. make the view actor bigger if speaking as if we were in Game Editor?

There are two main functions ChangeResolution and ChangeScale. The ChangeResolution function changes the window size while ChangeScale will change how the world is scaled. By the nature of how those work, they both will change the dimensions of the view.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby speckford123 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:59 pm

I've been checking this thread like a kid with a chocolate calendar come December
speckford123

Postby skydereign » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:01 am

speckford123 wrote:I've been checking this thread like a kid with a chocolate calendar come December

I'm really close, but with grad school have been pretty busy. I can definitely say I will officially release this year, but until I can get the time to fix gE's mac SDL I won't be able to give an official date.
skydereign

Postby speckford123 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:29 pm

skydereign wrote:I'm really close, but with grad school have been pretty busy. I can definitely say I will officially release this year, but until I can get the time to fix gE's mac SDL I won't be able to give an official date.

Oh, no rush, I'm sure everyone here has patience.
Just excited to hear about big updates after so many years, haha.
speckford123

Postby Kalladdolf » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:31 am

One thing I also noticed was that at full screen, the upscaling is accompanied by some sort of interlacing filter / algorithm.
If it's not too difficult, it would be nice to have the option to turn that off / adjust the upscaling properties.

That way small-resolution retro-games could be stretched accross 1080p displays without looking blurry.

Just a thought.
Kalladdolf

Score: 120 Give a positive score

Postby lcl » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:49 pm

Kalladdolf wrote:One thing I also noticed was that at full screen, the upscaling is accompanied by some sort of interlacing filter / algorithm.
If it's not too difficult, it would be nice to have the option to turn that off / adjust the upscaling properties.

That way small-resolution retro-games could be stretched accross 1080p displays without looking blurry.

Just a thought.

What are you talking about? As far as I know there is no full screen upscaling in any of the published versions of Game Editor so far. If your computer scales the small resolution games when in full screen, that has to do with your graphics card and display, not Game Editor.
lcl

Postby Kalladdolf » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:24 am

lcl wrote:What are you talking about?

Let me clarify: When in full-screen, the resolution is stretched accross the whole screen, more or less. Obviously where the aspect ratio differs, there will be black bars.
Now, since the birth of gE I've chewed through a lot of computers and that has been the case with every single one and I am certain this is the common experience, since a lot of prominent gE games were designed with this in mind, e.g. pyrometal's retro games, for the most part.
Kalladdolf

Postby lcl » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:34 am

Kalladdolf wrote:
lcl wrote:What are you talking about?

Let me clarify: When in full-screen, the resolution is stretched accross the whole screen, more or less. Obviously where the aspect ratio differs, there will be black bars.
Now, since the birth of gE I've chewed through a lot of computers and that has been the case with every single one and I am certain this is the common experience, since a lot of prominent gE games were designed with this in mind, e.g. pyrometal's retro games, for the most part.

Okay. I can't say I know anything for sure, but for me it's always been dependent on the screen and graphics card used. On some computers the low res games like pyrometal's games scaled beautifully to full screen, while on some setups the screen won't show anything and would just say that the resolution is not supported. And my current screen does something from between these two. Depending on the resolution used it either scales it, or then just draws it with huge black borders on every side. Now, I don't really know what Game Editor does with full screen games, I just assumed GE isn't doing anything on it's own, because of how different it has been on my different computer setups. But as I said, I don't have any actual knowledge on this matter, so you may very well be correct with your guess.
lcl

Postby Kalladdolf » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:20 am

I have also come across several cases where it would simply not be able to start the game in the first place.
Actually the point you're raising about gE reacting differently to various setups in fullscreen is interesting and helpful; all the more reason to look into it. :)
Kalladdolf

Postby JamesLeonardo32 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:48 pm

skydereign wrote:
speckford123 wrote:I've been checking this thread like a kid with a chocolate calendar come December

I'm really close, but with grad school have been pretty busy. I can definitely say I will officially release this year, but until I can get the time to fix gE's mac SDL I won't be able to give an official date.

Ah thats good to hear n_n
JamesLeonardo32

Score: 36 Give a positive score

Postby speckford123 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:48 am

How goes the progress?
No rush, was just curious because I don't know if I start making a game now that will take advantage of the zoom functions if it will work properly when it's released, haha.
speckford123

Postby skydereign » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:58 am

speckford123 wrote:How goes the progress?

I'm pretty much done. The only setback is that my macbook's battery swelled up and is now broken. I'm currently looking into using a school mac machine for finishing the export.
skydereign

Postby PookDGuru » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:55 am

skydereign wrote:I'm pretty much done.

Exciting! Cannot wait!

Edit: Since this post I've been eagerly checking back daily to see if the new version is up! I'm more excited than I previously thought!

Also, before I forget, I just had to ask... is your profile picture related to Death Note by any chance?
Check out Advent: Deep Space!
PookDGuru

Score: 1 Give a positive score

PreviousNext

Return to Mac