Strategy game in GE?

Non-platform specific questions.

Strategy game in GE?

Postby RacerBG » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:05 pm

I wonder does it's possible to be created a strategy game in GE? If there is already I would like to see it. :) In terms of strategy games: can I have yes/no dialogs or any pop up messages in GE? Any menu systems? Buttons systems?

Im asking this questions because Im coming from Game Maker and there this functions were everything for me (when I was making my RTS game). I wonder can I achieve such a result here... If you ask me why you had left GM then? Now Im a Linux user - that's why! :D GE have a lot of potential and I would like to play with it a little but my biggest dream with it is to re-create my RTS and racing games.
Im pretty familiar with the editor structure, I will only need to know about the C functions (at school I was very poor with it) and about the rooms thing.

And because this is my first post here: Hello to all! :P
RacerBG

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Re: Strategy game in GE?

Postby tzoli » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:29 pm

Well...
Everything is possible with coding but there is no basic pop-up function in GE only if you write/find a code for yourself.
It can be hard but it gives you the ability to customize whatever you want.
RTS is hard to make but it is possible but not in 1-2 days.
As you can see my FreeCity project takes a little bit more time than just a basic game.
And a tip for your RTS game:
First you have to make the engine(Pop-ups,menus,map system,unit control and stats, building etc.) and if it's done then you can add different types of units buildings map objects etc.
I hope you will finish your game :)
And welcome to the gE community.
Creepers are capable of climbing ladders, despite lacking arms. (Minecraft wiki)
tzoli

Score: 15 Give a positive score

Postby RacerBG » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:41 pm

tzoli wrote:Well...
Everything is possible with coding but there is no basic pop-up function in GE only if you write/find a code for yourself.
It can be hard but it gives you the ability to customize whatever you want.
RTS is hard to make but it is possible but not in 1-2 days.
As you can see my FreeCity project takes a little bit more time than just a basic game.
And a tip for your RTS game:
First you have to make the engine(Pop-ups,menus,map system,unit control and stats, building etc.) and if it's done then you can add different types of units buildings map objects etc.
I hope you will finish your game :)
And welcome to the gE community.

Thanks, it's great to know that such a game is possible to be created in GE. :) The pop up system is not important (I had used it in GM because of my own limitations) but I get it how to pass this thing nowadays.

That said from you sounds like "mission impossible" for a newbie like me! :D I hope that with the tutorials I will get the global idea and then maybe I should try the basic RTS things. Hopefully like I said the interface is not hard for me because GM uses similar in terms of names and functions.

And two off topic questions:
1. Can I have sound in my games (because Im using Linux)? I had readed that this is a problem. :o
2. When we can expect version 1.5 finished?
RacerBG

Postby MrJolteon » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:04 pm

RacerBG wrote:2. When we can expect version 1.5 finished?

Not anytime soon.
Join us on Discord!
Game Editor 2
These are the best ways to reach me these days

Your local Community Janitor, always lurking in the shadows...
MrJolteon

Score: 105 Give a positive score

Postby RacerBG » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:46 am

Thanks, that really opens my eyes about how is working the menu & buttons system. :)

Not anytime soon.

This is strange but anyway to have information is better than to not have.
RacerBG

Return to General