Mac exports not working on MacBook Pro

Mac specific questions and discussion

Mac exports not working on MacBook Pro

Postby TomUNSW » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:14 pm

Hello, thanks for your software. I am having trouble on an OSX machine using version 1.4.

Making a small test file - one actor on a blank background.
Game Editor works, and Game Mode works as expected.
When I export to a Windows .exe that works OK on a Vista machine.
Export to OSX app, when made into an executable opens a blank window and freezes.
This blank window is always the full width of the screen, not the requested game window size.
It has to be force quit, ESC doesn't work. There's no crash report.

The machine is an Intel Core 2 Duo, running 10.5 (Leopard).

Thanks for any advice you may have.
Attachments
testgame.jpg
TomUNSW

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Re: Mac exports not working on MacBook Pro

Postby akr » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:29 pm

Hmm, this should work and is tested. Did u try another machine? If problem persists lemme know.

andreas
Co-Developer of GE engine

If u are interrested in new features of apple or android ge engines check the engine support website game-editor.net regulary.
akr

Score: 40 Give a positive score

Postby zxcvbnm » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:17 pm

akr wrote:Hmm, this should work and is tested. Did u try another machine? If problem persists lemme know.

andreas

Please note alot of people dont own different computers . In the future please note which PC, MAC, or linux computers have errors . Thank you Akr.
Check out Momo AlienStarcatcher , featured in apples new and noteworthy and has 5 star reviews!!!
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/momo-ali ... 61779?mt=8
zxcvbnm

Score: 10 Give a positive score

Postby TomUNSW » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:23 am

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried the export on a Mac Mini, Intel Core Duo with Intel graphics card. This machine is running Snow Leopard.
The symptoms were the same, a window opens that fills the width of the screen, and then freezes.

On that machine I haven't fully uninstalled Final Cut Suite, and so whenever any task tries to use QuickTime libraries, it complains about some missing components. This doesn't make a difference here, but I noticed that Game Editor must open QuickTime before the freeze, as the complaint about the components shows up. So the freeze occurs after the library is opened, but before the software is able to resize the window.

I would very much like to use Game Editor next year in teaching a beginners class in game design, and we use Mac, so I will try to give you as much information as I can. Is there is a standard game that I should download and try compile in testing this problem?

Cheers.
TomUNSW

Postby zxcvbnm » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:13 am

Ok now that you specifed the problem lets see what we can do.

1) What components is the quicktime player need?

I know sometimes lets say it says cannot load wmv. avi. or mpeg 4 . In that case you have to download it. Here is a apple page with various components . Hopefully what you need is here. If not let us know what you need.
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/resource ... nents.html
Check out Momo AlienStarcatcher , featured in apples new and noteworthy and has 5 star reviews!!!
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/momo-ali ... 61779?mt=8
zxcvbnm

Score: 10 Give a positive score

Postby akr » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:53 am

So far I have no clue what quicktime player has to do with. Yesterday I compiled moonpatrol and ran it on mac SnowLeopard without any problems.

Must admit that I havent much programs installed other than Xcode, ntfs-3g, photoshop...

U can get moonpatrol on the demo section.

If u are interrested in new features of apple or android ge engines check the engine support website game-editor.net regulary.
akr

Postby TomUNSW » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:40 am

zxcvbnm wrote:Ok now that you specifed the problem lets see what we can do.

1) What components is the quicktime player need?
I know sometimes lets say it says cannot load wmv. avi. or mpeg 4 .l

Sorry, I have been unclear.
The Mac Mini used to have Final Cut Pro. When I launch any QuickTime it complains about missing frameworks of Motion, Final Cut Pro, Compressor and so on. I used the wrong word. QuickTime does that every time for everything, because the uninstall is not complete. On the MacBook, these programs are installed and there is no warning. Nevertheless, the game does not run. The actor is using the ball.gif that comes with the tutorials.

So far I have no clue what quicktime player has to do with. Yesterday I compiled moonpatrol and ran it on mac SnowLeopard without any problems.

I found MoonPatrol. It loaded up and opened in the Editor no problem. But the executable doesn't work.

I will have to try more macs... there's about 200 here at work!
I'll also try building on a PC. Somewhere, a machine will work and then I can figure out what the difference is. Maybe it's Final Cut? Or a sound driver? I have Pro Tools on here as well, might be trying to open the digidesign sound driver. Whatever it is, it seems to be waiting for a device...
TomUNSW

Postby TomUNSW » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:15 am

I tried Game Editor on the teaching machines here and had this error:
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libX11.6.dylib
Which suggests something like X Windows is required.

I would be great to have a specification for what GE needs to run. I have to ask computing services here about any non standard set up required for the software, and it can take weeks to get a new build.

If I can get GE running it would be in front of many students some of whom are in Computer Science courses, and might be able to contribute to code development. I really need something that can work cross platform, and GE is really close to perfect - if I can just solve these problems before next year.

The freeze might be due to digidesign sound drivers, I'm going to remove them and see if that works...
TomUNSW

Postby akr » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:12 pm

Instead of doubleclicking try the following:

open terminal
change to your directory
chmod +x exported-game
./exported-game

This should work.

akr

Postby akr » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:14 pm

I most likely found the problem. Will send u a updated gameEditorMacosx (engine only). Place this into your ge/bin directory. Every generated executable will then run as app bundle also.

andreas

akr

SOLVED

Postby TomUNSW » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:46 am

Hi andreas, that's fantastic!
This works as predicted - the game plays.

So I didn't need to remove all my Pro tools libraries! :lol:

So what I'll do now is go ask the guys at Computing Services about the dynamic library. I am sure this will be OK - they are obviously going to be comfortable with open source software.

There's no panic on it as the course will run next year - but it gives me time to start developing some teaching materials. The problem we had this year was that the software was too limited for some of the students, and Mac only. I think GE will be perfect.
TomUNSW

Postby DST » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:47 am

So what about the rest of us? I just found out yesterday that the osx versions of my games haven't been working either.
It's easier to be clever than it is to be kind.
http://www.lostsynapse.com
http://www.dstgames.com
DST

Score: 151 Give a positive score

Postby akr » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:55 pm

Hi DST. Which version are u using? From game-editor.com or from the appstore?

akr

Postby Kalladdolf » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:44 pm

Using the game-editor.com version. Confirming.
Kalladdolf

Score: 120 Give a positive score

Postby master0500 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:59 am

mine also wont work, using .com version
master0500

Score: 27 Give a positive score

Next

Return to Mac