So I started to make a game...

Game Editor comments and discussion.

So I started to make a game...

Postby ExeCute » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:10 am

Hi everyone...
I'm new to this forum. In fall 2013, I downloaded GE and began to make a game.
I didn't knew anything and still I don't know as much as I need, to make my game like I want it.
Many problems occured, but I solved them with your helpful threads. I learned tricky things.
My game grew to a 280mb Monster but I was always too lazy, to introduce the activation region thing...
And I think, that was my mistake.
It would be nice, if someone could help me with the following problem:
Last night, I wanted to build a new level on my platformer.... Added an actor... wanted to test the game and meeeep... it didn't jump on the main screen on startup like it always does. It showed me the gameoverscreen. Hmm... okay...
Back to the previous version... everythings fine... Add a new actor... whole game systems a mess...
I also have to notice, that I got about 600 collision scripts in my main actor. :roll:
Is there any last-in-first-out-rule, I should mention or is GE pushed to the limits (witch I don't want to belive).
Would be so nice, if someone could trying to help.

(Sorry for my bad english)

Edit: By pressing the gamemode-button this Errormessage appears: View->Draw Actor, line 0: Compilation error(0)
ExeCute

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Re: So I started to make a game...

Postby ExeCute » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:51 am

Got 839 Versionsteps... went back to 838... redone the last steps from a point, where everything worked in editmode.
Only added a few more actors and it's collision scripts to my main actor...
And again, it messed up my starting screen...

Okay... found out that the exported version works fine...
Let me think:
Is there a script or actor limit in the editor mode?

btw...
I'll post screenshots of my baby this weekend

:cry:
ExeCute

Postby ExeCute » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:25 pm

Like I promised... the screenshots of my almost 5 month old baby....
ExeCute

Postby lcl » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:43 am

Hi, and welcome to the forums!

You sure do have a huge project there, but it sounds that you've missed some of GE's
main features if you have over 600 collision scripts in the main actor. Do you know about cloning and tile drawing?

GE can handle pretty big projects quite well, if we forget about the lag caused by not using activation regions. And I have never seen a project with even 100 collision scripts on a single actor, so it does really sound like you've missed something, and because of that, built your game in an inefficient way.

What GE version are you using? You can find the exact version number by clicking [Help] and then clicking 'About'

If you want, you can put your whole game folder into a zip and send it to me via a PM message, and then I can have a look at what's wrong with your game. I won't of course steal your project or your graphics, it would just be easier to help if I could actuaöly have a look at what's going on in your ged.

lcl
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Return to GE - General