[Forum Project #1] Story ***Spoilers in the making***

Subforum dedicated to discussing group projects.

Re: [Forum Project #1] Story ***Spoilers in the making***

Postby Turon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:54 pm

I was wondering about the end of the Game, will it end by making a world without a steampunk theme or will it stay?
When I think of steampunk I think of the Industrial Revolution and a world that is very non environmentally friendly and non
esthetically pleasing.
Turon

Score: 32 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:51 pm

Turon wrote:I was wondering about the end of the Game, will it end by making a world without a steampunk theme or will it stay?

The revolution is fighting to take down the new regime, and therefore the sleek non-steam powered machines must be removed. The revolution will not be completely righteous, but hopefully viewed as the lesser of two evils. So they will attempt to completely destroy the remnants and symbols of big brother. Therefore the end game world would still have primarily a steampunk nature, though with this kind of setting, it'll be prepared for a transitional period given 20-30 years. During that time is when people will start adopting post steampunk technology.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby Jagmaster » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:10 pm

Heh, I hadn't noticed the new posts on here, sorry. :oops:

skydereign wrote:I was thinking, we might want to make the player's father be his adoptive father.

I approve. I can imagine the "Father" could reveal this to the player, and Fenix would initially assume that he's too brainwashed to remember him, but then he would go on to explain to him about the adoption. Would be a good place to insert a boss fight.

His real parents probably won't be brought into it, as I can't think of a non-cliche way to add them in, that forwards the story.

Yeah that is a tricky one. Unless there's some wise old sage that accompanies your militia as some kind of aid, and then it all *clicks* after the revelation mentioned above.
still a little cheesy though..

However, when joining the revolution, he reveals that his primary goal is to save his father. They warn him that if he joins, he must be relied on, and cannot just drop as soon as they save his father. And to that end, he won't be able to just go after his father with the revolution's resources. This gives him an incentive to rise in the ranks. Note he doesn't tell them who is father is (and he doesn't look like him). Later on when the player tries to have the revolution go save him, and the other scientists, they still refuse (perhaps this is at a desperate moment, as they got intel saying the scientists were going to die or some such). At this point they find out who is father is, and since they know him to be a vital piece to either side, they have the player lead the raid.

This makes sense. I can see this working well.

skydereign wrote:
Turon wrote:I was wondering about the end of the Game, will it end by making a world without a steampunk theme or will it stay?

The revolution is fighting to take down the new regime, and therefore the sleek non-steam powered machines must be removed. The revolution will not be completely righteous, but hopefully viewed as the lesser of two evils. So they will attempt to completely destroy the remnants and symbols of big brother. Therefore the end game world would still have primarily a steampunk nature, though with this kind of setting, it'll be prepared for a transitional period given 20-30 years. During that time is when people will start adopting post steampunk technology.

Yeah, I can imagine the new regime tech as sort of a cross between diesel-punk and regular steampunk. Sort of not as clunky and primitive as the rebels tech, but still with a sinister edge to it.

Say, did the collab link for the mindmap work for everyone? I was gonna make some changes to the map, but want to make sure it worked before I invested more time into it.
Jagmaster

Score: 82 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:22 pm

Jagmaster wrote:Say, did the collab link for the mindmap work for everyone? I was gonna make some changes to the map, but want to make sure it worked before I invested more time into it.

It works, as I can view it. I just haven't spent any time figuring it out and using it.

-Edit
Though it seems it won't let me insert new nodes.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby Jagmaster » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:54 pm

Thanks for the catch, I hadn't set the permissions to "Edit".
It should work now. My Derp.

And yeah, It is a pretty good app for the most part. I wish it handled big nodes a little better though. We may have to migrate the really long ones to rich text attachments and give only a brief outline in the node itself. The app is constantly improving, so that's nice too.
Jagmaster

Score: 82 Give a positive score

Previous

Return to Forum Projects