Apple FAQ: iPad, iPhone, iPod, Mac HOWTO

Mac specific questions and discussion

Apple FAQ: iPad, iPhone, iPod, Mac HOWTO

Postby akr » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:32 am

EDIT: Note that we have changed the way to support non apple users to create appstore games.

Q: I am a mac user and have xcode installed. how can I create a iphone game from my exported game file?
A: Thats easy. Just use the provided geapp project and add your exported game file to the project (name it <yourprojectname>.dat or "game1"

Q: I need to test my game on iphone. Whats the best way to do this.
A: Use geplayer. If you are working on mac you can use the geplayer project provided or download geplayer from appstore. Geplayer has a
"ftp" protocol. You can download your game to your iphone if geplayer is installed. See also game-editor.net.

Q: What skill/experience is needed to produce a appstore game running on a apple device by myself without the appstore service?
A: You must have a apple developer subscription and already compiled some apples examples for your device. This is the prerequisite. You can save yourself a lot of time if you are familiar with the apple environment. GE will make use of that. Using the provided xcode project geplayer and geapp you can create your own Appstore games!

Q: How can I run a exported mac/linux game?
A: open terminal. type: "chmod +x game", "./game"

Q: Is there anything I need to know compared to desktop game?
A: Maximum textures size is 1024 on mobile apple devices. Maximum texture size on mac is 8192. Larger images will not be displayed correctly!

Q: When I export to Mac i get a binary only. No icon.
A: Right. This is a plain executable without a app directory holding it. Create a app directory and an icon and your there!

Q: How do I start a apple exported binary?
A: Do a chmod +x game. Then start it either per click from finder or do a ./game.

Q: Whats geplayer for?
A: geplayer makes live easier for iphone, ipad and ipod developers. Can download a game.dat file without xcode.

Q: Whats geapp for?
A: When u finished your tests with geplayer, you can compile a standalone app with geapp to be released on appstore.

Q: How do I use geplayer?
A: Compile geplayer and install it on your device. Then start a ftp session. The ip address to ftp to is given by geplayer when started.

Q: How do I ftp from windows to geplayer?
A: Open a dos box. Then type "ftp". Then do a open, e.g.: open 192.168.178.62 20000. Leave user name and password blank. Then "put geplayer.dat". Then "Stop ftp server"

Q: Can I create games without splash screen?
A: Yes. If you are a GE professional user, you can.

Q: Is iphone 4 supported?
A: Yes. U need to adjust your game to the new screen size. Thats all.
Last edited by akr on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Co-Developer of GE engine

If u are interrested in new features of apple or android ge engines check the engine support website game-editor.net regulary.
akr

Score: 40 Give a positive score

Re: Apple FAQ: iPad, iPhone, iPod, Mac HOWTO

Postby Superbeni » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:50 am

Could you add something like a step-by-step tutorial for this? (game for IPhone/appstore)
Where can I get geapp/geplayer?
Superbeni

Score: 31 Give a positive score

Postby akr » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:32 am

geapp/geplayer is part of the distribution. Have a look at the download section.

Can do a tutorial when I have time. Right now my time is gone because apple made several changes in the SDK4.0. Having said this another
new SDK is available now: 4.1. All this needs to be tested. They bring products to market faster then someone can download.

andreas

If u are interrested in new features of apple or android ge engines check the engine support website game-editor.net regulary.
akr

Postby Chai » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:04 am

Dear Aka:

After I created game with GE on PC and export game project as DAT file as iphone data only.
Then I move the file to MAC.The game can run with GE on MAC really smooth and haven't had any problem with that.

However, I still have some problem when I would like to compine game data for the iPhone device.
In the Xcode application on MAC, Which template of new project should I create for support the Game editor DAT file.
I copy the DAT file in to the resources folder am I right?. I tested a some of template projects but the result doesn't work well. The screen of Iphone emulator after run the file show only empty screen.
Am I missing some points or something?

Thank you,
CHAI
Last edited by Chai on Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Chai

Score: 30 Give a positive score

Postby akr » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:24 am

Dear Chai,

you dont select any template. Just doubleclick the geapp.xcodeproj or geplayer.xcodeproj and xcode starts with everything setup.

Then you set your provisioning profile and sdk and it should compile.

Andreas

akr

Postby Chai » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:50 am

Dear Aka:

Thank you for your reply, but I still have a little problem. When I click the file geplayer.xcodeproj like the image below.

then Xcode app will apper automatic. After that I click the Buile and Run action.
I put the game files [DAT file and all the rest of files] in the same place of geplayer.xcodeproj

It has something error and it can't compline the game application,
I am not sure because I haven't install some application on my mac or not.

Edit---
This is the image show error from Xcode I found.
It said "Code sign error: The identity "iPhone developer" doesn't match any valid certificate/ private key pair in the default keychain."

SO, I am not sure for this. But It will try to find some way for Keychain access.

Thanks,
CHAI
Chai

Postby akr » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:56 pm

Chai, pls setup your provisioning profile then build a apple demo.

Geplayer expects the data file via ftp!! Not at compile time.
So compile and start on iphone.

Am on vacation in italy. More when i am back.

Greetings
andreas

akr

Postby Chai » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:14 am

Akr:

We have some situation here.I dind't have any problem with provision now.
Apple relese the ios SDK 4, and this sdk make the problem, and I believed almost game engines for iphone have this effect.

After I installed the SDK4, I can't build and run for Game.dat file in Xcode and it course some problem on SDK in Xcode also.
Now, I try to download the older SDK [SDK3] for my Mac, and let''s see how it work.
[If I can download SDK3 file.][I can't find the ways to download SDK3.]

P.S. If you can make the tutorial for upload the Game editor dat file via ftp and run on the iphone that would be good.

Thanks.
Last edited by Chai on Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chai

Postby NevenResnik » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:54 pm

Hello. Could I please get your attention? I've been trying to explain to everybody that I'm not an Unix programmer, and I can't do the chmod +game command via the terminal because I don't know how. I am a mac user, and I have had some troubles with making an executable that starts the game when you double click it. When I asked, everyone told me to make a game package (.app folder) and create a "MacOSX" folder inside. Inside the MacOSX folder should be the Game Editor's mac executable file and an icon. I did that, and the final .app folder didn't work. Then they told me to do a "chmod +game" command for the package and that then it would work while double clicked. The problem is, I even don't know where to start. Can anyone PLEASE do a step by step tutorial? It would be GREATLY appreciated.

THANKS!!!
NevenResnik

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Postby krenisis » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:13 pm

Chai in order to have a valid certificte you must be enrolled in the $99 dollar apple developer program. I read the articule on apple.com and thats what it says.
Tutorial Database for all beginners click this link
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8680
krenisis

Score: 51 Give a positive score

Postby Chai » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:17 pm

Dear krenisis:
I enrolled it already around half year ago and I believed my developer certificate still working on.

In my opinion, the IOS SDK4 is a problem that make the code can't compline,
because when I used the old version SDK3. it didn't say any error about sdk.
However, You can't download the SDK3 from Apple website anymore.
Chai

Postby jimmynewguy » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:35 pm

Hey Chai, try this website. It has links to the old sdk's it might work :)
http://iphonesdkdev.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... e-sdk.html

EDIT: Apparently I was told this doesn't work, I'm not sure why/how but I tried right?
Working on a probably too ambitious project! Wild-west-adventure-RPG-shooter-thing.
jimmynewguy

Score: 89 Give a positive score

Postby akr » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:41 pm

Chai,

what are u trying to do? Do u work with geapp or geplayer? Lemme know. Will get this fixed.
If u are trying to test on device then use geplayer first. Make sure u are able to build it.
What errors do u get? Just load the xcode project and press build. Lemme know if any problems.

andreas

akr

Postby zxcvbnm » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:51 pm

Hello sirs , I am new here but I do understand what the gentlman Chai is trying to do from the photos. Chai is trying to export an ipa file using the getapp. I hope that helps lessen the confusion.
Check out Momo AlienStarcatcher , featured in apples new and noteworthy and has 5 star reviews!!!
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/momo-ali ... 61779?mt=8
zxcvbnm

Score: 10 Give a positive score

Postby akr » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:53 pm

NevenResnik wrote:Hello. Could I please get your attention? I've been trying to explain to everybody that I'm not an Unix programmer, and I can't do the chmod +game command via the terminal because I don't know how. I am a mac user, and I have had some troubles with making an executable that starts the game when you double click it. When I asked, everyone told me to make a game package (.app folder) and create a "MacOSX" folder inside. Inside the MacOSX folder should be the Game Editor's mac executable file and an icon. I did that, and the final .app folder didn't work. Then they told me to do a "chmod +game" command for the package and that then it would work while double clicked. The problem is, I even don't know where to start. Can anyone PLEASE do a step by step tutorial? It would be GREATLY appreciated.

THANKS!!!

Ok, lemme know your current progress and I will see what I can do.

akr

Next

Return to Mac