Paint.NET

Windows specific questions and discussion

Paint.NET

Postby themightymekon » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:38 pm

Dear Authors,
---------------------------
Paint.NET
The image type is not recognized, and cannot be opened.
OK
:cry:

The above Msgbox is what happens when I click 'Edit' to run that program.

The Paint.NET, when it is run separately, can open the file, from a navigator dialog, or by drag drop.

Paint.NET clearly can use the files. What is going wrong? Thanks,

themightymekon
themightymekon

Score: 2 Give a positive score

Re: Paint.NET

Postby MrJolteon » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:09 pm

GE does not support Paint.NET's .pdn files. You have to save your image as one of the supported file types. If you don't know what file types GE supports, just stick to .png.
Join us on Discord!
Game Editor 2
These are the best ways to reach me these days

Your local Community Janitor, always lurking in the shadows...
MrJolteon

Score: 105 Give a positive score

Postby themightymekon » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:55 pm

Hello MrJolteon ,

Thanks for the helpful advice.
It does not answer my question, but maybe I should clarify.

There is an 'Edit' button in the wee form which pops up with the frames of the actors displayed in a small canvas box. When I set 'Paint.net' in the Program preferences as the image editor, it should run that program and load the frame in from the GAME EDITOR game under construction.

I did that same process with other paint editors, and some of them open with the image loaded ready for editing, and when saved and the painter closed, i.e. it stops running; then the focus reverts to the GAME EDITOR game under construction. Then I see all the edits I just made in the painter, in the canvas box, and when I look in the pictures data folder for that game, the image with the changes has been placed there too. Then when in game mode, if my altered image is drawn in the game, it is reflected as a new altered, game sprite.

What I pasted at the top of this thread, is my Ctl+c copy of the content of the error msgbox, which is raised and displayed by Paint.net to reject this process.

Maybe it is something to do with the way the GAME EDITOR passes the commands to it. Maybe it can be corrected, as it is a distinct advantage in speed for the GAME EDITOR to GO and RETURN for us. I hope this makes it clearer.

I nearly always convert to PNG by habit.

There was one other painter which I tried in this role, which also failed in the same way. I forget which now, but I can try again if needed.

Thanks, themightymekon
themightymekon

Postby MrJolteon » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:26 pm

Maybe Paint.NET isn't supported?
Join us on Discord!
Game Editor 2
These are the best ways to reach me these days

Your local Community Janitor, always lurking in the shadows...
MrJolteon

Score: 105 Give a positive score

Postby lcl » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:26 pm

Yes, it seems that Paint.NET is just not supported. But for editing a graphic in the game, all you have to do is to open the file from the data folder and edit it, you can keep Game Editor open all the time. Then when you're done editing, just save the image and then go back to Game Editor. For getting the animation updated in Game Editor, just click the [Edit] button on the Actor Control Panel's Animation section, this reloads the image. Then just click the [Ok] button and your animation will be updated. :) No need to close and re-open Game Editor.
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby themightymekon » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:59 pm

Ok icl,

That sounds good. In the meantime, maybe open both Paint and Game Editor using a batch file, since we need to be painting all de time ??

Do you know if there is any plan to fix it so Paint.Net works like the others, or is it going to be left alone?

:?
Regards,
themightymekon
themightymekon

Postby lcl » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:19 pm

themightymekon wrote:Ok icl

Not that it matters, but it's actually lcl, with two l's, like LcL :D
themightymekon wrote:That sounds good. In the meantime, maybe open both Paint and Game Editor using a batch file, since we need to be painting all de time ??

Umm.. I'm not quite sure if I understand what you're saying? It sounds like you want Game Editor to open your image editor automatically when you open Game Editor? Is it so much trouble to start Paint.NET by hand? Notice that there is nothing requiring you to close the image editing program when you use Game Editor, just keep them both open, and when you have to edit your game's graphics, go back to Paint.NET and when done with that back to Game Editor.
themightymekon wrote:Do you know if there is any plan to fix it so Paint.Net works like the others, or is it going to be left alone?

This is most likely not going to be fixed any time soon. Game Editor development is being concentrated on the most important features. While it would be nice if Game Editor would automatically open an image file in the image editor of your choice, that is not a first priority feature, because opening images in image editors is very easy already even without Game Editor doing it automatically for you.
lcl

Postby themightymekon » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:40 am

Sorry LCL,

My bad eyesight to blame. I assumed it was ICL which I recall, was a big computer firm.

Cordially,

:oops: themightymekon
themightymekon

Postby lcl » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:04 pm

themightymekon wrote:Sorry LCL,

My bad eyesight to blame. I assumed it was ICL which I recall, was a big computer firm.

Cordially,

:oops: themightymekon

Nah, don't worry, you're not the first one :D I guess it's my fault using a lower case letter at the beginning of my username :lol:
lcl

Postby themightymekon » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:36 pm

Right!

I do like the pattern in your avatar/logo, though. Is it something you found? Or did you use some editor to make it? May be handy knowledge for tiles creating?

themightymekon
themightymekon

Postby lcl » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:14 pm

themightymekon wrote:I do like the pattern in your avatar/logo, though. Is it something you found? Or did you use some editor to make it? May be handy knowledge for tiles creating?

Thanks :) I made it myself in Microsoft Paint. The patterns I created just by drawing single pixels until it seemed nice :D
lcl

Postby themightymekon » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:52 am

dated: 24-03-15

Hi Lcl,

I get back to the topic of the thread in the following post.
But whilst on the subject of the avatar,
I had a go with PAINT.Net to make some of these patterns on my own.
I do not have the artistic talent in my hands, so it is hard for me.

I designed and painted the "Mighty Mekon" image using PAINT.Net years ago. It took a full day of my holiday on my laptop. The hurricane stopped me leaving my hotel that day, and the Irish ferry was washed up on Blackpool beach, near my hotel.

I did not like it much, so I recently re-worked it. That took me a full evening, but I like it now. The idea is from the old "Dan Dare" comic strip, you know.

I simply shrank it down to fit 80x80, which I understand is the biggest image for an Avatar.
themightymekon

Postby themightymekon » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:55 am

dated:

24-03-15

Hi All,
After a testing of the 'Edit' image button, with the path of a painter in the preferences menu, I discovered that these will work :

PaintStar
Chasys Draw Artist
Phoxo
Picpick
RealWorldPaint

###

These will NOT work :
PAINT.Net
PSPro
Jans Painter 2.5
Photobie
ArtWeaver 3.1
Pixia
###

Regards,

themightymekon :mrgreen:

PS If anyone else want to add their editors marked work or NOT WORK that will make things clearer for all in this circumstance.
themightymekon

Postby themightymekon » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:40 am

Hi there,

I am pointing you all at this developer of graphic functions.

Soon we will not need to run other apps to do everything of

painting images.

Regards,

themightymekon

http://game-editor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13511
themightymekon

Postby koala » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:29 pm

lcl wrote:
themightymekon wrote:I do like the pattern in your avatar/logo, though. Is it something you found? Or did you use some editor to make it? May be handy knowledge for tiles creating?

Thanks :) I made it myself in Microsoft Paint. The patterns I created just by drawing single pixels until it seemed nice :D
:shock: Lots of work and patience. It's great! :D
themightymekon wrote:dated:

24-03-15

Hi All,
After a testing of the 'Edit' image button, with the path of a painter in the preferences menu, I discovered that these will work :

PaintStar
Chasys Draw Artist
Phoxo
Picpick
RealWorldPaint

###

These will NOT work :
PAINT.Net
PSPro
Jans Painter 2.5
Photobie
ArtWeaver 3.1
Pixia
###

Regards,

themightymekon :mrgreen:

PS If anyone else want to add their editors marked work or NOT WORK that will make things clearer for all in this circumstance.
Thank you very much!
Phascolarctos cinereus
YouTube: Marko Radivojevic
Google+: Marko Radivojevic
koala

Score: 30 Give a positive score

Return to Windows