[Forum Project #1] Graphics - GEuser's Submissions

Subforum dedicated to discussing group projects.

[Forum Project #1] Graphics - GEuser's Submissions

Postby GEuser » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:37 am

Hi all.

I've created this thread to avoid cluttering on the main "Steam Run Design Document" thread. Also to index my suibmissions (on this first post to make future stuff more readily accessible when it gets swamped with future postings).

* Please give me credit if you use any of these for your own project.

INDEX OF SUBMISSIONS

| B |
- Bolts: 2D Packs (of 3D orientations with .obj files) viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12471&p=89346#p89346

| C |

- Capacitor (Electronics): Unoptimised models (includes zipped blender file of ): viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12471&p=90522#p90522

| E |
- Elevator: Concept Art (manual elevator: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12471&p=88714#p88813)
- Elevator: 3D model demo (including blender & .ged zip files): viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12471&p=90052#p90052

- Elevator2: 3D parts (includes .obj zipped files of individual parts): viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12471&p=90519#p90519

| G |
- Gears: Inkscape & GIMP Tutorial (viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12471#p88756)
- Gears: 2D Packs (8,12,16,20,24,28,32,36,40,44,48,52,54,56,60 teeth, in 3 styles, 1 svg plain file, Total=504 gears)

| N |
- Nuts: 2D Packs (of 3D orientations with .obj files) viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12471&p=89347#p89347

| P |
- Pipes: 2D Packs (of 3D orientations with .obj files) viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12471&p=89348#p89348

| R |
- Resistor (Electronics): Unoptimised models (includes zipped blender file of ): viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12471&p=90521#p90521

| S |
- Steam: Inkscape Tutorial & Demo ( viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12471&p=88714#p88716 )
Last edited by GEuser on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 8 times in total.
GEuser

Score: 19 Give a positive score

Re: [Forum Project #1] Graphics - GEuser's Submissions

Postby GEuser » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:45 am

Steam Demo and Steam Creation Tutorial

INKSCAPE ( http://www.inkscape.org )

Been experimenting with Inkscape (a vector graphics program) to create a steam animation. In Inkscape when you move a vector image you also change any filter effects you applied to it. This feature can be exploited to create an animation by repeatedly moving a vector image that has had a specific filter effect/s applied to it and export the image as a .png image format for each move.

DEMO SCREENSHOT

DEMO CODE

I've created a steam animation using this method. Here's the .zip for the code:-
Steam_Demo.zip
Demo code for Steam Tutorial
(908.89 KiB) Downloaded 296 times

TUTORIAL

GEuser

Postby master0500 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:16 am

i think it may be easier just to use use particles made to move in a random angle (give or take 5 or so degrees) and made to fade out
edit: than it will also look more random and you can add random shades and i think it would look pretty good
master0500

Score: 27 Give a positive score

Postby lcl » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:50 pm

master0500 wrote:i think it may be easier just to use use particles made to move in a random angle (give or take 5 or so degrees) and made to fade out
edit: than it will also look more random and you can add random shades and i think it would look pretty good

I agree that it would possibly look better to use particles, but since they usually cause the game to lag (even on computer) it would be better to avoid using them especially in this game, because this is going to get exported to smartphones also. And there the lagging could create a real problem. :)
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:57 pm

lcl wrote:
master0500 wrote:i think it may be easier just to use use particles made to move in a random angle (give or take 5 or so degrees) and made to fade out

I agree that it would possibly look better to use particles, but since they usually cause the game to lag (even on computer) it would be better to avoid using them especially in this game, because this is going to get exported to smartphones also. And there the lagging could create a real problem. :)

Therefore, we should find a good balance. A few particles bursts here and there is fine on mobile devices, the main problem comes from fading things. So we should probably use small animated steam balls, that fade out in the actual animation.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby GEuser » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:03 am

skydereign wrote:
lcl wrote:

Therefore, we should find a good balance. A few particles bursts here and there is fine on mobile devices, the main problem comes from fading things. So we should probably use small animated steam balls, that fade out in the actual animation.

Yeah agree, a compromise, is probably best. Having said that, I've only been experimenting briefly with this method. With more work and time you could create higher quality animations. Don't forget that those animations in the demo only use 8 frames so not that processor intensive really. I urge peeps to experiment with this technique using other filters and stuff. You can start off with a more complicated shape and use fractal filters and such to start off with a more sophisticated seeding shape.
GEuser

Postby GEuser » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:10 am

Simple Gear Tutorial using Inkscape & GIMP.

Been experimenting with Inkscape & Gimp art programs to create gears. Working on creating gear packs, more to add later on.

Here's the tutorial:-

WIll be working on gear packs. Even if these are not used they could still be used for initial design ideas.
GEuser

Postby Jagmaster » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:40 pm

I like your tutorials, you should consider making a tutorial site. :)

Your smoke tutorial was awesome. I would have never thought of that, and it made A nice result!

Being an absolute gimp nut, (and an inkscape nut), I'd like to point out one thing on your gear tutorial, if you'd let me. Steps 4.b through 5.b could be optimized a bit, instead of adding a transparent layer and deleting the extra background twice, one can simply (4.a right right click the texture layer in the layer panel and hit "add alpha channel". (4.b delete extra background and (4.c merge visible layers with the clip to image option set (no need to set layer to image size).

But that's really just a small gripe. Your tutorials are very good and well explained.

Another question, should we each have our own thread for posting graphics and such? Or should we make one thread for all the graphics related posts?
Jagmaster

Score: 82 Give a positive score

Postby GEuser » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:22 pm

Jagmaster wrote:I like your tutorials, you should consider making a tutorial site. :)

Thanks, but it would be too much hassle (I'd slacken on keeping it up to date).

Jagmaster wrote: Being an absolute gimp nut, (and an inkscape nut), I'd like to point out one thing on your gear tutorial, if you'd let me.

No offense taken. I'd rather know of better ways of doing things. Please feel free to recommend/correct stuff in my future posts and thanks for that alpha short cut :lol: been messing around with the long winded way all this time.

Jagmaster wrote:Another question, should we each have our own thread for posting graphics and such? Or should we make one thread for all the graphics related posts?

Having individual threads for each artist would allow them to keep tags on what they need to focus on and get feedback from others without cluttering up the main design threads. A development diary of sorts to keep organised. Also this would enable different themes to develope/emerge and you'd get a feeler for the particular contributors style which could influence certain levels in the game. However, I think these threads should be limited to people who are going to make more than just a handful of contributions otherwise you'd have a clutter of abandoned threads.

If decided, I have no problem with merging this thread with a single official one for graphics.
GEuser

Postby GEuser » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:24 pm

Elevator Concept Art

Had an idea for a manually operable elevator. A foot paddle linked to a gear mechanism would lock/unlock movement. A handle, that can be removed and exchanged between 2 different positions to enable up or down movement.

I imagine these elevators allowing access to different levels with in the world. These low tech versions would be more popular with the rebels because they would be more stealthy (not attract attention as with steam or electric using up precious energy) and require minimal maintenance. whilst the more superior steam/electric operated ones would appear in more advanced levels controlled by the authorities(not done concept art for these yet).

The removable handles function within the game plot could be expanded. Instead of one handle their could be many handles, each one tied to a spcific elevator that is controlled by a particular rebel faction. So the game hero may have to win over particular factions by performing tasks to gain their trust and privelleged access to elevators within their domain. The handle would become a key of sorts to operate specific elevators.
Last edited by GEuser on Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GEuser

Postby happyjustbecause » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:32 pm

Wow great work on these graphics. I really like the look of the elevator idea. It would be a cool and simple method for transporting the player around too.
For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.
-Carl Sagan

Night Knight Development Thread
happyjustbecause

Score: 15 Give a positive score

Postby GEuser » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:26 pm

GEARS 2D PACKS

Gears2D_01:
Gears2D_01.zip
(2.25 MiB) Downloaded 312 times

(contains gears 8, 12, 16, 20, 24 tooth).

Geasr2D_02:
Gears2D_02.zip
(4.98 MiB) Downloaded 275 times

(ontains gears 28, 32, 36 and 40 tooth).

Gears2D_03:
Gears2D_03.zip
(5.74 MiB) Downloaded 306 times

(contains gears 44, 48 and 52 tooth).

Gears2D_04:
Gears2D_04.zip
(4.71 MiB) Downloaded 290 times

(contains gears 56 and 60 tooth).

There are 504 gears in total. From 8 teeth to 60 teeth in multiples of 4 (8,12,16...60). Each gear tooth type comes in 9 styles, 3 materials (Brass, Copper & Iron) and finally a plain svg file that can be imported into most art software. You can use the svg file in GIMP as a cookie cutter for different textures(as shown in this tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12471#p88756). The Charts below illustrate the sizes, styles & materials made available:-

SIZES

STYLES & MATERIAL (per gear size)

No rest for the wicked, getting on with those nut, bolt & pipes now...
GEuser

Postby Hblade » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:53 pm

Amazing!
Subscribe to my YouTube? - Yes| No
Hblade

Score: 181 Give a positive score

Postby GEuser » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:21 pm

Thanks Hblade :)

ORIENTATIONS (Bolts, Nuts, Pipes)

Illustration below shows all the different orientations available. Not all are included because they can be obtained by vertical & horizontal flipping or left / right rotations. The z- axis orientations can be got by rotating the x & Y axis versions.

The downloads are captured renders from Blender, for best results you should import the .obj file included into your own blender projects or any other 3D program thats allows importing of .obj files. You'll have complete control this way and won't suffer from the subtle colour/lighting shifts in the captured images. The materials (Brass, Copper, Iron & Steel) have been procedurally generated by blender (Source: Blender Open Material Repository; http://matrep.parastudios.de/ ). Not sure how good the .obj files or materials will workout in non-blender programs but here for to use whatever the case. My lighting is not good because just noob with blender this doesn't really do much justice to the materials rendered (You have a play around).

BOLTS

Screenshot:

Downloads (including .obj file):
Bolt_Packs.zip
(4.73 MiB) Downloaded 295 times

You can get the z axis versions by flippling and rotating those not available from existing ones in the pack.

Materials: Brass, Copper, Iron, Steel.
Last edited by GEuser on Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GEuser

Postby GEuser » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:25 pm

NUTS

Screenshot:

Downloads (including .obj file):
Nut_Packs.zip
(2.27 MiB) Downloaded 264 times

See the orientations illustrations here:( viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12471&p=89346#p89346 ). You can get the z axis versions by flippling and rotating those not available from existing ones in the pack.

Materials: Brass, Copper, Iron, Steel.
Last edited by GEuser on Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GEuser

Next

Return to Forum Projects