Apple FAQ: iPad, iPhone, iPod, Mac HOWTO

Mac specific questions and discussion

Re: Apple FAQ: iPad, iPhone, iPod, Mac HOWTO

Postby akr » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:54 am

geapp is the executable you need to run a datfile on apple devices.

there is no revenue share when u put your app to apptore at all.

whe didnt have gotten any apps rejected. if there are any problems lemme know.
all apps used geapp.
Co-Developer of GE engine

If u are interrested in new features of apple or android ge engines check the engine support website game-editor.net regulary.
akr

Score: 40 Give a positive score

Postby Chai » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:38 pm

Dear Akr and Alex:

Finally, my new game is finished.
I still confused how to export and get a game file for submitting to the Iphone Dev.
which would be *.ipa file, I guess.

It would be very helpful if you can guide me a little more.
What is the next process.

Because, the last tutorial, it will automatically install a file into iphone.
So, I really have no idea to process the next step. Really need your help. Please Please...
Chai

Score: 30 Give a positive score

Postby akr » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:49 pm

Chai, no problem. You need to login into you apple account and look for itunes connect.
Itunes connect can be found here

https://itunesconnect.apple.com

Before u need screenshots, icons...

Steps:

1) Setup you distribution profile according to the apple guidelines
2) Compile and compress your application. Can be compressed with right mouse button.
3) The resulting file (ipa) can then be submitted to itunes connect.

If u are interrested in new features of apple or android ge engines check the engine support website game-editor.net regulary.
akr

Postby Chai » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:14 am

Dear Aka:

It works very well.
Thank you very much for your guides.

Would you mind if I put your name and Maslane name on the 1st loading page.
and I will put your name on the about page as a speciall thank you

"Makslane (Game-editor.com)
Aka (Game-editor.com) "
Chai

Postby akr » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:30 am

Chai, thats very kind. Thank you.

For me its

andreas (game-editor.com)

akr

Postby CCJ » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:07 pm

@Akr: that's great news about the revenue issue; I was afraid I had somehow completely misinterpreted the FAQ! Now regarding geapp-- clause 3.3.2 of Apple's iOS 4 dev. agreement states that:
An Application may not itself install or launch other executable code by any means, including without limitation through the use of a plug-in architecture, calling other frameworks, other APIs or otherwise. No interpreted code may be downloaded or used in an Application except for code that is interpreted and run by Apple’s Documented APIs and built-in interpreter(s).

Isn't geapp kind of violating this by being an app that (by the sound of it) interprets the C script and encoded media in the .dat files at runtime?
I don't mean to be a wet blanket, and it's wonderful to hear that apps made with Game Editor are proving successful on the appstore, but with Apple it pays to be paranoid...

I would really love to commit to GE as my 2D solution for iPhone development, but I'd like to understand the technical details of the process a bit better so I can feel assured Steve Jobs won't pull the rug out from under us all someday.

Thanks so much for your patience and may I say you, Makslane, and the other kind contributors have created quite a remarkable game creation tool!

-CCJ
CCJ

Score: 1 Give a positive score

Postby Chai » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:05 am

Dear CCJ:

Let me try to submit my application to apple.
The result should outcome within a week.
Hopefully, everything will be good.

So far, I have tried, Game Salad, Game Editor, Torque Game Builder, and so so many game engines.
I can say "Game-Editor is the best of the best."
- Easy to understand
- Stable
- Small

CCJ, you pick the right choice to choose Game-Editor. I can say that.
Chai

Postby CCJ » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:01 pm

I know a few apps made with GE have already been accepted, so I doubt you'll have any trouble Chai; I'm just concerned that Apple might crack down on GE some time in the future like it did on the Scratch app, which basically did what it [kind of] sounds like geapp does- it read in the data file for a Scratch project and then interpreted the content at runtime on the device. Apple was afraid someone would make a 'meta-appstore' within the appstore if they were allowed to use interpreters, and thus the Scratch app was removed. I'm hoping geapp functions by reading in the .dat file and then producing a unique standalone app completely independent of itself all while still on the developer's Mac-- that way the actual app we would submit would be a tidy compiled package and Apple would have nothing to complain about...

Anyway, good luck with your app!
CCJ

Postby akr » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:20 pm

CCJ, we are 100% aware of what u mean. Thats fact. So far we dont have any problems. But you never know what apple will do.
Here are my thoughts if anything will change:

1) Interpretion is common to all game editors. There are a dozen out there . Many of them produce 3D games like Unity, Stonetrip.com.....
2) If Apple complains we will switch and generate a standalone app which reads in nothing at all. Btw everything is encrypted.
Anyone looking at the app will see the executable only and nothing more. So I think this will pass the apple test finally.

akr

Postby CCJ » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:26 pm

@Akr: Okay, that sounds like a good plan. Here's hoping said trouble never arises!

Thanks,

CCJ
CCJ

Postby Chai » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:37 am

Dear CCJ:

Today , I 've got an email from the Game-Salad.
===========================================
As many of you have probably read, Apple has officially loosened restrictions in relation to the controversial 3.3.1, 3.3.2, and 3.3.9 clauses of the Apple iPhone SDK. In particular, they have given the official ‘okay’ to 3rd party development tools like GameSalad. The GameSalad team has always been confident about our users’ continued ability to publish GameSalad-built games to the Apple App Store, and with yesterday’s press release, we’re thrilled that those who were still hesitant can now share our confidence.
From the beginning, GameSalad has seen games as a form of human communication and expression. Like film, music, art, and every other form of media, games enable people to express themselves and convey complex ideas in an aesthetic and entertaining fashion. The press release yesterday better helps us to make that vision a reality.
We’re very excited about Apple’s announcement, and even more excited about what this means for GameSalad and it’s incredible community of developers.
-The GameSalad Team-
=============================================
That means, our Game-Editor is 'okay' for submitting to apple too.
So, keep going up with Game-Editor. Don't worry.
Chai

Postby zxcvbnm » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:06 am

Excellent Chai!! Thanks for the great news
Check out Momo AlienStarcatcher , featured in apples new and noteworthy and has 5 star reviews!!!
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/momo-ali ... 61779?mt=8
zxcvbnm

Score: 10 Give a positive score

Postby akr » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:23 am

Yes. I can confirm that. Got a notice yesterday from makslane. Same applies to game-editor. No more limitations from apple.

akr

Postby Rufus 01 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:02 pm

@ akr can u check your privat messeges please. :roll:
My game is finished now with all tests on the iPhone :!:
Please give me an answer :)

Regards, Rufus
Was geht'n? =D
Rufus 01

Score: 3 Give a positive score

Postby akr » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:49 pm

I think the question was whether u need geapp or geplayer.

You need geapp to generate an application ready to run on device/simulator or appstore.
You need geplayer to test it without having to recompile each time you change your game.dat. You can simply download to iphone.

andreas

akr

PreviousNext

Return to Mac