lcl's Game Editor lessons

Learn how to make certain types of games and use gameEditor.

lcl's Game Editor lessons

Postby lcl » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:00 pm

Hi!

This topic will from now on act as the main topic for GE lessons.
I will list here links to all the single lesson topics and all general discussion about these lessons should happen in this topic.
Questions about single lessons belong to the lessons' topics.

Lessons:

Original message containing more detailed information on what GE lessons are:
Code: Select all
Hello!

So, I was trying to clean up my apartment when this idea hit me,
and to my great sorrow made me stop that all so lovely process of cleaning of this chaos I live in. :lol:

The idea that interrupted me was this:

The long version:
If there would be some people eager to learn about Game Editor and programming, I would be ready to start
teaching them according to what I know about Game Editor and programming in general.

When I began using Game Editor I was pretty confused at first. I didn't know what to do to start and how I would bring my visions of games come to life with this program.
And a simplest bit of code ever seen made my face turn into this :?: xD Well, I got the hang of it quite quickly by searching around the forums and by watching Hblade's excellent tutorials for beginners. But all that would have been so much faster if there had been someone telling me what this program is and what it does and how it works and guiding me on my way to understanding the basics of Game Editor and programming in general.

Now that I've used Game Editor for about 4 and a half years (I think it was the autumn of 2009 when I first downloaded GE), I have a pretty good understanding of how it works and how I can make it do the things I want it to do. And I would like to share my knowledge with people who are like I was when I started using GE, motivated and eager to learn to use this amazing program.

My idea of how this would work is that every week I'd write a post explaining something about Game Editor and I would add in some exercises for my apprentices to do. With these exercises, the things I write about would be better learnt through trying them in practice.

Now it all really depends on if there is anyone willing to take advantage of this opportunity. I would really like to try my hand at teaching, and you would benefit from it in form of learning. I can't guarantee any results, as I've never tried this before, but I'm pretty sure that if you are willing to commit that half an hour - hour a week to really reading through my posts and then trying the things in practice, you can't get away from it without learning anything.

If there is some people interested in this I will plan the teaching according to their level of experience in using GE.
Most of the things in this system can be changed since we haven't even started yet. If you have an idea of how this would work better, just tell me. I'm willing to do my best to make this as efficient and worthwhile as possible.

There's one thing I want to make clear. I don't want this to turn out like a school, boring and dull, something where there is old boring people telling young people things that make them become old and boring. XD I want this to function through interaction between me and you.

If you want to be a part of this, please report yourself here.

TLDR version:
- I can use GE pretty well and would like to help other people learn to use it
- Teaching would be designed according to the level of experience of the people who I would be teaching
- There would be some exercises to boost learning
- This wouldn't be like a school, I'm not old enough to be a boring old teacher talking about boring things XD
- If you're interested, report yourself here

So, would there be anyone interested?

geLessons1.png
Lol xD Just to make you notice this topic by this stupid picture
Last edited by lcl on Thu May 01, 2014 11:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Re: Would something like this be needed?

Postby Hares » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:15 pm

I am reporting myself ... sir :D

I can't guarantee any results, as I've never tried this before, but I'm pretty sure that if you are willing to commit that half an hour - hour a week to really reading through my posts and then trying the things in practice, you can't get away from it without learning anything.

Challenge accepted

Personaly I am struggling with the whole cloning thing. If you have a bunch of clones and you want an other actor to change variables in one specific clone, it gets confusing.
The fact that * is a wildcard in the search engine on the forum, perventing you to search on char*, doesn't help either :?
And in the help section there is also nothing more to find on the subject.
So it would be great if you could cover that somewhere along the line.
Hares

Score: 14 Give a positive score

Postby lcl » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:33 pm

Hares wrote:I am reporting myself ... sir :D

Great!

Hares wrote:
I can't guarantee any results, as I've never tried this before, but I'm pretty sure that if you are willing to commit that half an hour - hour a week to really reading through my posts and then trying the things in practice, you can't get away from it without learning anything.

Challenge accepted

:lol:

Hares wrote:Personaly I am struggling with the whole cloning thing. If you have a bunch of clones and you want an other actor to change variables in one specific clone, it gets confusing.
The fact that * is a wildcard in the search engine on the forum, perventing you to search on char*, doesn't help either :?
And in the help section there is also nothing more to find on the subject.
So it would be great if you could cover that somewhere along the line.

Good to know. Where I start teaching depends totally on you and other people who enter.
When there's enough people who are willing to participate, I will map out your level of experience with GE via a bunch of questions and then I'll plan the teaching according to the results. It is very probable that I decide to start from the very beginning, the basic of the basics of GE, just to make sure that all the crucial points and features of GE are clear for everyone participating. Having clear understanding of the basics is very important to have, because only through that I can teach the more complex stuff and be sure that everyone has equal chance to understand what I'm talking about.
lcl

Postby LeeFesler » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:06 pm

I'm hell of interested man. There is a lot of stuff I need to learn. And you are amazing so yes, teach me!!! How will you do it tho?
Be a DJENTLEMAN!!!!! \m/
LeeFesler

Score: 3 Give a positive score

Postby lcl » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:23 pm

LeeFesler wrote:I'm hell of interested man. There is a lot of stuff I need to learn. And you are amazing so yes, teach me!!! How will you do it tho?

Great!
As I said, the teaching would happen by me posting once a week to the forum. In the posts I would always explain one or more things regarding Game Editor and programming. The posts would also include a few exercises to help learn the things I wrote about.
I guess you went with the TLDR version. ;D
lcl

Postby LeeFesler » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:23 am

That sounds good to me. :D I'd make sure to check it out every week. :D
Be a DJENTLEMAN!!!!! \m/
LeeFesler

Postby tvz » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:31 am

I will be your student.
tvz

Postby lcl » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:53 pm

tvz wrote:I will be your student.

Great! :D
lcl

Postby lcl » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:56 am

So, it seems that at least three people are going to participate.
Some time next week I will post a list of questions for you three to answer. It will be for mapping out your level of experience with GE.
lcl

Postby tvz » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:18 am

will it be tough in coding?
tvz

Postby lcl » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:19 pm

tvz wrote:will it be tough in coding?

I'm not sure if I understood your question correctly.

If you mean the list of questions I'm going to post, it's not going to be tough in anything, because it won't be like a test.
I will simply ask things about how much you know about coding and using of Game Editor in general. Just so that I can get an idea of your level as users of Game Editor so that I can plan the teaching accordingly. :)
lcl

Postby tvz » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:29 pm

lcl wrote:
tvz wrote:will it be tough in coding?

I'm not sure if I understood your question correctly.

If you mean the list of questions I'm going to post, it's not going to be tough in anything, because it won't be like a test.
I will simply ask things about how much you know about coding and using of Game Editor in general. Just so that I can get an idea of your level as users of Game Editor so that I can plan the teaching accordingly. :)

I thought it to be a test. But it is not. thats good :D
tvz

Postby CrackedP0t » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:50 am

I'll read along; I'll probably learn a lot.
/人 ◕‿‿◕ 人\
Fang Pictures, my game development company:
http://fangpictures.comuf.com
CrackedP0t

Score: 8 Give a positive score

Postby lcl » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:48 am

CrackedP0t wrote:I'll read along; I'll probably learn a lot.

Awesome! It's great that there is already four people willing to take part in this.

@everybody:
I am going to travel abroad today and will be back after 5 days. When I'm back I will write you the questions which will be used to map out your experience with GE.
lcl

Postby NightOfHorror » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:42 am

I will look at this time to time, just to freshen up and extend my knowledge.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12136
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that wont work." quoted by Thomas Edison.
Over the year, I decided my motto for me is I am knowledgeable, but not practical.
NightOfHorror

Score: 51 Give a positive score

Next

Return to Tutorials