2d sprite rotation

Learn how to make certain types of games and use gameEditor.

2d sprite rotation

Postby Sayato » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:23 pm

I was wondering if anyone can point me towards an EFFICIENT way to deal with 2d sprite rotation? You see, I could bite down and do it the GIMP way, but it has already tried and it has taken me a long time in GIMP. Maybe there is some secret that I don't know.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a 2-d sprite rotation program I can use, or how I can accomplish easy sprite rotation in GIMP. I've seen a rotation example program made already, but it has several images to accomplish it's rotation. If I have to do it like that, I will. If I'm going to do it that way, I'd like to know if there is a quick way to accomplish this, because I'm going to have A LOT of rotation in my game.

My game currently is about 0.059% complete, so you can make fun of me if you want. I'm just looking for guidance.

Speaking of "guidance" does anyone know where I can find a manual for Game Editor that's like "A tutorial to DS Game Maker by James Garner"?
Attachments
12-27-2014.rar
(1.73 MiB) Downloaded 246 times
Sephiroth's strength is unreal. He is far stronger in reality then any story you might have heard about him.
Sayato

Score: 1 Give a positive score

Re: 2d sprite rotation

Postby DarkParadox » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:17 am

Rotsprite is a good way to rotate images. You input an image and you can output a new image for any degree of rotation. It's probably the best simple program for that sort of thing.
DarkParadox

Score: 84 Give a positive score

Postby Sayato » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:50 am

Thanks, but that is a dead link. My attempt to get on http://info.sonicretro.org/RotSprite replies with this:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The website cannot display the page

HTTP 500

Most likely causes:
•The website is under maintenance.
•The website has a programming error.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Am I alone in this, or not?
Sephiroth's strength is unreal. He is far stronger in reality then any story you might have heard about him.
Sayato

Postby Sayato » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:45 am

Thanks, but that is a dead link. My attempt to get on http://info.sonicretro.org/RotSprite replies with this:
The website cannot display the page

HTTP 500

Most likely causes:
•The website is under maintenance.
•The website has a programming error.
Could someone tell me how to apply http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb203869.aspx to my game?

Or does someone know of dfferent method to get the same results?
Sayato

Postby MrJolteon » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:36 am

Join us on Discord!
Game Editor 2
These are the best ways to reach me these days

Your local Community Janitor, always lurking in the shadows...
MrJolteon

Score: 105 Give a positive score

Postby Sayato » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:31 am

I got "Rotsprite" and rotated this sprite. Yet could I ask one of you fine gentlemen to plug these in for me. I don't see how you can get the ship to fly in the direction it's facing.

But keep track of what you did. So I can learn.

The idea is I want to rotate the ship either left or right when either the button is pressed... Like 20 degrees a frame. Could you please tell me how you did this and send me links to all old-school 2d code tutorials.

Please?

Attached is a copy of the original. Where is the code, you ask? I was in a car wreck in 9-11-2004. I was ejected 35 feet through the windshield and then ran over. As they were trying to save my life, I lost every digital connection I had.

My code was preserved IN EXECUTABLE format by this my EX-best friend (https://www.facebook.com/bill.eckerson). The code wasn't saved. It was eaten. According to this pantywaist, it's all my mothers fault. NOT HIS. His logic (?) seems to escape my understanding. I would have sucked it up and said "You know what, Billy, this (really) sucks, but thanks for being honest". That didn't happen, so that explains why he is dead to me now.

Oh well, you can't correct the past... I've pretty much given up on decompilation. I'm rebuilding the game for Gp2x, now... I would really appreciate al links to Gp2x coding that you can provide.
Attachments
Force Disruptor.rar
(4.04 MiB) Downloaded 210 times
1-4-2015.rar
(1000.11 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
Sayato

Postby Sayato » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:56 pm

I made a sprite rotation image animation. It currently just sits there. I think this is how it's done. The image is 64 pixels(frame size) *16 (frames) = 1024 pixels. Everything seems right. In every frame, the ship is just sitting there. I need it to rotate. I know how to do it with separate frames, but it's very, very slow

This game is going to be old school, so I'm asking for the image to be very pixilated.

It's kind of a joke. Between me and 73% of the voices.

Can someone take these images and rotate them? Could you then explain how pixelated rotation was accomplished? An efficient way is what I'm looking for. I've done frame by frame rotation in gimp, but I'm really hoping that there is a better way.

I'm also thinking Rotsprite.exe would do it, I just would like instructions on how to use this.
Attachments
Force Disruptor.png
Force  Disruptor Back-up.png
Force Disruptor Back-up.png (549 Bytes) Viewed 8859 times
Sayato

Postby tvz » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:43 am

Use this script for gimp. It rotates image and add the rotated image to the original. We just give the no of frames we need and after this it does everything with a single click.
Paste it in user\gimp\scripts

setup-brush.zip
script
(1.73 KiB) Downloaded 216 times

e.g.
Attachments
Untitled.png
example
I have not left.
tvz

Score: 3 Give a positive score

Postby Sayato » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:13 am

Thanks a lot! I have (meaning you have(Ha-ha)) accomplished writing a .ged file of my ship spinning. That is the perfect size in the game.

How do I zoom in? Don't worry, this game is supposed to be extremely old-school and very pixelated. I'm going to like it when the zoom in and it is very pixelated. It'll make 87% of the voices in my head laugh, I predict! It also makes this voice laugh, currently, if that means anything to you.

I guess step #2 consists of me going through the gp2x help file to figure out controlling the ship and then step #3 is going to be zooming in and out. I want the up button to be used as acceleration. That's the way part 1 was.

Tomorrow I'll focus on reading the manual. I opened it for the first time today. Ha-ha.
Attachments
01-19-2015.rar
(24.81 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
Sayato

Postby Sayato » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:59 am

I just opened the manual then tried to view another page. I got an error. It wasn't there. Could I have an internet link to the manual? The full manual?
Sayato

Postby awalker2561 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:42 am

You could use Make Human, I often combine 3D and 2D image to make textures.
awalker2561

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Return to Tutorials