My life ON GE

Game Editor comments and discussion.

Re: My life ON GE

Postby DeltaLeeds » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:23 pm

Bee-Ant wrote:Hello everyone. Long time no see ;)
Is this some kind of goodbye message?
Sorry I didn't read all of them. Bad on reading >.<

YAYYYY! FINALLY, A POST FROM BEE-ANT!!! :D
How about telling your life on gE? (What you've been doing, how you started gE, etc etc.)
It must be interesting, you're an early member! :D
Currently: Semi-Active.
Working on: Maybe putting my test games in gamejolt, polishing them a bit, but I still don't know when.
DeltaLeeds

Score: 38 Give a positive score

Postby lcl » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:46 pm

Bee-Ant wrote:Hello everyone. Long time no see ;)
Is this some kind of goodbye message?
Sorry I didn't read all of them. Bad on reading >.<

:D !!BEEEEEEEEEE-AAAAAAAAAANT!! :D
So good to see you, you haven't posted anything in ages!
Are you working on any project currently?
But yeah, it's very nice to see you here. Seeing your post made me act like a child :mrgreen:
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby NightOfHorror » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:06 pm

Like a couple of giggling school girls we are when we see Bee-Ant on the forum. :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12136
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that wont work." quoted by Thomas Edison.
Over the year, I decided my motto for me is I am knowledgeable, but not practical.
NightOfHorror

Score: 51 Give a positive score

Postby lcl » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:24 pm

NightOfHorror wrote:Like a couple of giggling school girls we are when we see Bee-Ant on the forum. Image

Exactly. :lol: :P :oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
lcl

Postby Bee-Ant » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:20 am

Relax relax... I'm monitoring this forum almost everyday. It's just I have nothing to do or a need to do since so many talented member already replaced my function here. So i'm totally useless.

Well, about life here... I'll try to write a couple of sentences. I'm not good in writing really.
Bee-Ant

Score: 210 Give a positive score

Postby lcl » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:14 am

Bee-Ant wrote:Relax relax... I'm monitoring this forum almost everyday. It's just I have nothing to do or a need to do since so many talented member already replaced my function here. So i'm totally useless.

Useless? You? In my opinion that is totally false. There's always a need for experienced GE users willing to help other people and to share their knowledge.
And every single person actively helping others here and even just talking with everyone makes the forum more active and thus makes it nicer to hang around here :D
lcl

Postby NightOfHorror » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:00 am

Bee-Ant wrote:Relax relax... I'm monitoring this forum almost everyday. It's just I have nothing to do or a need to do since so many talented member already replaced my function here. So i'm totally useless.

Well, about life here... I'll try to write a couple of sentences. I'm not good in writing really.

but you are sole purpose of me joining GE. If I didn't see your game, I don't know how I would have felt about GE.
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that wont work." quoted by Thomas Edison.
Over the year, I decided my motto for me is I am knowledgeable, but not practical.
NightOfHorror

Postby Bee-Ant » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:38 am

It seems like I'm too overestimated.
Well here's...

My Life with GE
===============

I first met GE at Q3 2007 by googling several keywords like "game maker", "game builder", "game designer", and then "game editor". The last keyword was what made me satisfied with the final result, since it directed me to the main site contained forum and download link. As simple as that, so I tried it as soon as I downloaded it. It had (it still has) usefull integrated video tutorial, the Caveman. From that tiny piece of demo, I tried to develop it more by adding more objects or characters.

Next on, I tried to make my own game (but still borrowed other's design). It was a Digimon game, sidescroll platformer. I first made small demos containing part of the gameplay. Like, player walking and shooting demo, enemy movement demo, background, main menu, credits, etc etc. And then finally I merged those into single game. Polished it, and then published it. I got many compliments from senior members, I was so happy. But I also got several criticisms concerning the copyright and the way I code. I then started to do more experiment to fix the later.

By asking to the forum about "how to make player shoot with single button depending on the direction he faces" or something like that, I got a good reply from Sgt. Sparky. That's where I was introduced to the variables manipulation. I started to think about how to extend this knowledge to handle other things like crouching, running, change form, etc etc. And then I finally got to know how to use variables to make some kind of "state" on inanimate object like brick, bullet, key, coin, etc. Those are the basic knowledge I used to built "Mario and the Golden Key" game. This game once again got me many compliments as well as criticism concerning copyright.

Ok Bee, it's time to reevaluate yourself, make your OWN game!
Browsing through the forum, I found a talented member in designing. His name was dsd (it's d-soldier by now). God, his designs are marvelous. I played his game "Incursion" once. It gave me completely different experience with GE. From there on, I stated that d-soldier was my designing idol. Someone that I had to surpass, but of course in a different way... in this case, with my own style. There, I developed my OWN game. "Darkboy", "Monster Egg", "The Wanderer", you name it, I forget already. Those games brought no more copyright issue, I only got criticsm concerning the way I code and several bugs they found. But I guess it's okay, since my coding knowledge back then was like about 15% of my current one. I still have loooong way to go. I kept making more games and helping people to get 30 forum points. And tadaaa, finally I got my GE license which then helped me developed more professional-like games (or at least that's what people said).

Those games I made dragged me new friends like Tekdino (my first partner ever), Fuzzy (this one was the one blabbered much on coding), Sgt. Sparky (my first teacher as well as my coding idol), Caaz, j2graves, DilloDude, I forgot the rest I'm sorry... and then new "rival" like Kalladdolf, and foes like Automail10, Automail20 (basically the same person). By the time I got my skill polished, DSD left the forum. I was so shocked. I lost my designing idol. That's where DST came. With similar name and similar skill. By the time, we got to know each other, and then I made him to replace dsd as my designing idol.

One day, Tekdino made a game contest. It was "Baby Seal Game Contest" if I'm not mistaken. And as you probably have guessed, that's where I developed Winter Blast for the first time. My coding knowledge at that time was like 40% of my current one. I was still clueless actually. Not only clueless on coding but also clueless on the character's environment. And then I asked help from Fuzzy. He lives at Canada, so I thought he had ideas on snow and stuff. I made a right call (I guess), and then we talked a lot about coding and stuff. And finally I finished the game with Fuzzy's help (sorry Tekdino, I didn't mean to break the rule :P).

So that's how I grew here up until now. Big thanks to Makslane, Tekdino, Kalladdolf, d-soldier, Sgt. Sparky, DilloDude, sumer_goth, j2graves, diormeh, pyrometal, lcl, NightOfHorror, krenisis, Caaz, and... darn, I can't remember everyone.
Hugs and kisses to Fuzzy and DST for powering me up on most games I made :P
And Fee, this one is too TLDR like your FACE!
Last edited by Bee-Ant on Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bee-Ant

Postby DeltaLeeds » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:46 pm

Bee-Ant wrote:It seems like I'm too overestimated.
Well here's...

My Life with GE
===============

I first met GE at Q3 2007 by googling several keywords like "game maker", "game builder", "game designer", and then "game editor". The last keyword was what made me satisfied with the final result, since it directed me to the main site contained forum and download link. As simple as that, so I tried it as soon as I downloaded it. It had (it still has) usefull integrated video tutorial, the Caveman. From that tiny piece of demo, I tried to develop it more by adding more objects or characters.

Next on, I tried to make my own game (but still borrowed other's design). It was a Digimon game, sidescroll platformer. I first made small demos containing part of the gameplay. Like, player walking and shooting demo, enemy movement demo, background, main menu, credits, etc etc. And then finally I merged those into single game. Polished it, and then published it. I got many compliments from senior members, I was so happy. But I also got several criticisms concerning the copyright and the way I code. I then started to do more experiment to fix the later.

By asking to the forum about "how to make player shoot with single button depending on the direction he faces" or something like that, I got a good reply from Sgt. Sparky. That's where I was introduced to the variables manipulation. I started to think about how to extend this knowledge to handle other things like crouching, running, change form, etc etc. And then I finally got to know how to use variables to make some kind of "state" on inanimate object like brick, bullet, key, coin, etc. Those are the basic knowledge I used to built "Mario and the Golden Key" game. This game once again got me many compliments as well as criticism concerning copyright.

Browsing through the forum, I found a talented member in designing. His name was dsd (it's d-soldier by now). God, his designs are marvelous. I played his game "Incursion" once. It gave me completely different experience with GE. From there on, I stated that d-soldier was my designing idol. Someone that I had to surpass, but of course in a different way... in this case, with my own style. There, I developed my OWN game. "Darkboy", "Monster Egg", "The Wanderer", you name it, I forget already. Those games brought no more copyright criticisms, I only got criticsm concerning the way I code and several bugs they found. But I guess it's okay, since my coding knowledge back then was like about 15% of my current one. I still have loooong way to go. I kept making more games and helping people to get 30 forum points. And tadaaa, finally I got my GE license which then helped me developed more professional-like games (or at least that's what people said).

Those games I made dragged me new friends like Tekdino (my first partner ever), Fuzzy (this one was the one blabbered much on coding), Sgt. Sparky (my first teacher as well as my coding idol), Caaz, j2graves, DilloDude, I forgot the rest I'm sorry... and then new "rival" like Kalladdolf, and foes like Automail10, Automail20 (basically the same person). By the time I got my skill polished, DSD left the forum. I was so shocked. I lost my designing idol. That's where DST came. With similar name and similar skill. By the time, we got to know each other, and then I made him to replace dsd as my designing idol.

One day, Tekdino made a game contest. It was "Baby Seal Game Contest" if I'm not mistaken. And as you probably have guessed, that's where I developed Winter Blast for the first time. My coding knowledge at that time was like 40% of my current one. I was still clueless actually. Not only clueless on coding but also clueless on the character's environment. And then I asked help from Fuzzy. Hi lives at Canada, so I thought he had ideas on snow and stuff. I made a right call (I guess), and then we talked a lot about coding and stuff. And finally I finished the game with Fuzzy's help (sorry Tekdino, I didn't mean to break the rule :P).

So that's how I grew here up until now. Big thanks to Makslane, Tekdino, Kalladdolf, d-soldier, Sgt. Sparky, DilloDude, sumer_goth, j2graves, diormeh, pyrometal, lcl, NightOfHorror, krenisis, Caaz, and... darn, I can't remember everyone.

LOL! I got game editor by searching a lot of times too, except I didn't want to MAKE games, I wanted to hack them. Then I searched for Mario RPG editor, Any game editor (I didn't know hacking a game was "editing"), and Game Editor went out, I thought it could hack a lot of games, but I realized that it was for making games, and that's when I got interested. xD
Well, it's good to see you back, and it's awesome that you made games out of trying stuff! I always made games by doing that, but I never release it. (Which I pay the price for because of my corrupted Acer. >_< ). Well, I'm looking forward to your progress, and your story was lovely. I couldn't stop reading it over again! :lol:
Working on: Maybe putting my test games in gamejolt, polishing them a bit, but I still don't know when.
DeltaLeeds

Postby NightOfHorror » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:11 pm

Bee-Ant wrote:It seems like I'm too overestimated.
Well here's...

My Life with GE
===============

Browsing through the forum, I found a talented member in designing. His name was dsd (it's d-soldier by now). God, his designs are marvelous. I played his game "Incursion" once. It gave me completely different experience with GE. From there on, I stated that d-soldier was my designing idol. Someone that I had to surpass, but of course in a different way... in this case, with my own style. There, I developed my OWN game. "Darkboy", "Monster Egg", "The Wanderer", you name it, I forget already. Those games brought no more copyright issue, I only got criticsm concerning the way I code and several bugs they found. But I guess it's okay, since my coding knowledge back then was like about 15% of my current one. I still have loooong way to go. I kept making more games and helping people to get 30 forum points. And tadaaa, finally I got my GE license which then helped me developed more professional-like games (or at least that's what people said).

One day, Tekdino made a game contest. It was "Baby Seal Game Contest" if I'm not mistaken. And as you probably have guessed, that's where I developed Winter Blast for the first time. My coding knowledge at that time was like 40% of my current one. I was still clueless actually. Not only clueless on coding but also clueless on the character's environment. And then I asked help from Fuzzy. He lives at Canada, so I thought he had ideas on snow and stuff. I made a right call (I guess), and then we talked a lot about coding and stuff. And finally I finished the game with Fuzzy's help (sorry Tekdino, I didn't mean to break the rule :P).

what a great life story for this Bee-Ant. Btw, since you around I have to ask if you have gotten the chance to work on WBR at all, or if you are still away from that project, and if you are, do you have an estimate of when you will come back? Glad to see you made rivals, rivals drive us all. I still have not found a rival though. jonathang, for now on, I will destroy you in everything. :P
NightOfHorror

Postby Bee-Ant » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:16 am

NightOfHorror wrote:Btw, since you around I have to ask if you have gotten the chance to work on WBR at all, or if you are still away from that project, and if you are, do you have an estimate of when you will come back?

I'm still working on it actually. But with very slow rate due to all the business given.
I just need to find super free time to draw the rest scene. It's not hard, but it's difficult.
Bee-Ant

Postby DeltaLeeds » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:06 am

Bee-Ant wrote:I just need to find super free time to draw the rest scene. It's not hard, but it's difficult.

I hope you can have free time to draw! Can't wait for more stuff in WBR! :D
P.S: What is the difference between hard and difficult. xP
DeltaLeeds

Postby Wertyboy » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:10 pm

jonathang wrote:What is the difference between hard and difficult. xP

Hard is 4 letters and Difficult is 9 letters... I think? xD

Oh and hi Bee :D Long time no see. Glad to hear that WBR is still alive
Wertyboy

Score: 44 Give a positive score

Previous

Return to GE - General