sprite maker beta 5 - now with scaling & FX

Talk about making games.

Re: sprite maker beta 3

Postby DST » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:09 am

So i used the program, found a small bug, and helped you improve your program.
Then i used the program, created a new monster, and helped me improve my program.

ecbsnake.jpg

See how this works, ppl? :D
It's easier to be clever than it is to be kind.
http://www.lostsynapse.com
http://www.dstgames.com
DST

Score: 151 Give a positive score

Re: sprite maker beta 3

Postby feral » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:25 am

DST wrote:So i used the program, found a small bug, and helped you improve your program.
Then i used the program, created a new monster, and helped me improve my program.
See how this works, ppl? :D

looks great ! :)
BTW. a point for you for your help with this, thanks...

feral
feral

Score: 47 Give a positive score

Re: sprite maker beta 4 - now with scaling

Postby feral » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:08 am

BETA 4.0 now with scaling

This version allows you to scale any 24bit bitmap from below 100 percent to above (does not yet go backwards)

Use the scaling options below the preview window instead of the rotation options to the right.

A preview of the scaled sprites will appear on screen, AND will save as series of bitmaps.

I am not worried about making spritesheets for these, as there would simply be too much "fill" around the smaller images resulting in very big files.

you will note that as there is no need for "fill" in the individual images , it has been removed on the scaled images.

please test this out and try all sorts of images.. if you find some that do not work let me know, or if you try heaps of different types and they all worked... please let me know that to.. if there is anything not working or any requests for features etc etc etc

try it with photos too ... you will be amazed :shock:

WARNING NOTES:
1. as this writes files to your hard drive, I can't be held responsible for any damage that may occur ( sorry had to put that in :lol: )
2. IT WILL overwrite existing files of the same name(s).. i will be adding a test for this soon
3. I forgot on the scaling section to give you a pop-up, to let you know the process was complete... please wait until all disk activity has ceased before closing it down, as it may still be in the process of writing files..
4. the export filename for "scaled" sprites is different from the filename box for rotated sprites so make sure you fill in the correct one ( the one at the bottom left corner)
5.it still sometimes creates one extra frame more then asked for, this is always the "last, or highest numbered" frame/image, and sometimes that particular one will have very odd scale (I will be fixing that soon), in the meantime if you get an extra frame, simply delete the highest numbered image in the series if you don't want it.
5.PS: the rotation section still needs to be restarted ( ie: reload the spritemaker app) after each image is processed... another fix on the list..

oh, and unlike the rotation section, the scaling section allows you to load new images and modify them over and over.. ( no need to shut it down and restart it ..)

you can now...if you want to try ... create rotozoomed sprites.. ie: ones that zoom in and out, while rotating :D
I am actually planning on creating automatic version of rotozooming with this app soon, but in the meantime you will have to work it out yourself :twisted:

have fun and please get back to me..
feral
feral

Re: sprite maker beta 5 - now with scaling & FX

Postby feral » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:16 am

UPDATED TO BETA 5.0

beta 5.0, now has the First f what will be a series of sprite effect's availiable in future versions, this is only a test run
to tryout,

TO USE: Instead of selecting export rotated ( as in previous versions) select EXPORT DISSOLVED
IT creates a spritesheet (spritesheet only, no single files) of your sprite slowly dissolving.. a simple first example, but as I said it is simply a preview/test of upcoming features..

let me know if you like the idea of a sprite FX creator ?

attached is a sample spritesheet created by the program

if you don't want to download the program.. just download the sheet and try it..

see first post for example spritesheet and latest executable
feral

Postby pyrometal » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:51 pm

This is pretty amazing work feral! I'm glad to see the code I created along with gogo is being expanded upon!
SPRITE WARRIOR:
Free, open-source & crossplatform pixel art editor (currently under construction).
pyrometal

Score: 86 Give a positive score

Postby zygoth » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:39 pm

this could be really useful for me later...right now i am using a different program. once you get some of the new features on there I think it will be very helpful to everybody on the forums. By the way, pyro, does this mean you are officially back? i'm still waiting for some more mazeman, you know.
Nova: 100% Vertigo/Mazeman: 100%
Visit my website to download them both! http://www.ketonegames.com
zygoth

Score: 5 Give a positive score

Postby feral » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:12 am

zygoth wrote:right now i am using a different program

I would be interested to know what the program is you are using ? so i can see what features i need to work on...
feral

Postby DST » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:00 am

Ok i got a suggestion for ya.....i got a transforming spaceship, with lots of parts. The part rotate on axis, like an arm rotates on a shoulder. It seems it would be very difficult to move their xy's along with the animation, and still keep the thing together, using a normally rotated sprite. So how bout adding axis to sprite maker?
DST

Postby feral » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:33 pm

DST wrote:Ok i got a suggestion for ya.....i got a transforming spaceship, with lots of parts. The part rotate on axis, like an arm rotates on a shoulder. It seems it would be very difficult to move their xy's along with the animation, and still keep the thing together, using a normally rotated sprite. So how bout adding axis to sprite maker?

sounds like a cool idea :D

do you mean something like the "door opening" solution I posted on the GTA thread ?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5741&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=gta&start=60#p40294

or something more complex ?

feral

PS: I can now open and save transparency capable TGA files - Just working them into the sprite maker now.. so transparency's coming soon :D
feral

Postby Rux » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:54 pm

This program is AMAZING!!!! I'm going to try to make a rocket battle game, rotating the rockets with this!!!
I'm not good at coming up with signatures...
Rux

Score: 35 Give a positive score

Postby DST » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:27 am

yes something like the door opening, not much more complex.....kinda like a ragdoll, except the torso doesn't rotate or apply inertia to the limbs.
DST

Postby Lexcondran » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:06 am

Dst i had an idea for your meteors game. You could add sound and use the mouse to move and shoot.
http://www.mediafire.com/?e4zzycilztdm1qm =My RPG APP FILE V. 3.0 {7/15/2010}
http://www.mediafire.com/?tjjmmmkzyga =My editable demo of my Rpg for people V2.3
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10247 =Link to my RPG's (4.0) Topic =]
Lexcondran

Score: 8 Give a positive score

Postby feral » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:26 am

DST wrote:So how bout adding axis to sprite maker?

It took me a while to figure out what you meant...I hope I got this right... basically you want to be able to decide where the center point is of the rotation ?

if so, I am planning on adding that option in... but in the mean time you can do it manually.. all you have to do is make sure your sprite is evenly numbered ie width and height are even numbers ( so the rotation has a dead center) and make sure the centerpoint you want to rotate around, is in the centre of the sprite..

that is, the entire sprite background included should be evenly numbered, not the actual character/item/artwork... that can be anysize.. the program simple rotates around the center so by moving the artwork you can change the center,,

eg
in this first example the "robot arm" sprite rotates around the roughly in the middle of the arm... NO GOOD :(
shoulderA.jpg

in the second example the sprite (background ) was made larger and the shoulder joint was then centered in the sprite... ...now, it rotates around the shoulder... GOOD :)
shoulderB.jpg

if that is what you mean ?, then yes I am planning on adding it in soon, you will be able to select the center and the sprite will adjust its size so that the center is correct.

In the mean time it can be done manually....

feral
feral

Postby speckford123 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:12 am

I agree with what others have said...........this is awesome..........
and will save ALOT of time, you gave me more inspiration :lol:
+point
speckford123

Score: 49 Give a positive score

Postby paperboy321 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:24 pm

I am confused how to make it please post how step by step.

Thanks
PaPeR BoY
paperboy321

Score: 0 Give a positive score

PreviousNext

Return to Game Development