SABRE - (Stable Actor Based Raycasting Engine) - UPDATES!

Post here your demos and examples with the source files.
Forum rules
Always post the games with a screenshot.
The file must have the ged and data files (complete game source)
Use the forum attachment to post the files.
It is always better to use the first post to put the game files

Re: SABRE - (Stable Actor Based Raycasting Engine) 1.0 GOOD

Postby lcl » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:05 am

JetpackGrizzly wrote:Those are both really awesome! I do not know how you will pull off multiple floors, but I am sure am excited to see. Do you think that you would be able to make the view have a weapon or some sort to make a Call of Duty like game, well any first player shooting game in a 3D level?

Thanks! :)
Adding a weapon to the screen is nothing more than adding an actor with an animation of weapon.
That's why I haven't added it to Sabre. I am concentrating on the raycasting engine itself and the world editor.
When I get them done, I can start adding smaller things, like this. The only real challenge with weapons is shooting.
And I am going to step into that kind of things with Sabre when the bigger parts are ready.

A 3D engine without possibility for shooting would be pretty useless, I think. :P
I don't even like FPS games or play them, but I still know that most of the 3D games out there are FPS games.

And the game which I will make to show off Sabre's capabilities, will be an FPS game.
Or.. not exactly. Something like FPS game, but more interesting (for me at least :wink: ).
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby kickstart » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:18 pm

lcl wrote:Thanks! :)
Adding a weapon to the screen is nothing more than adding an actor with an animation of weapon.
That's why I haven't added it to Sabre. I am concentrating on the raycasting engine itself and the world editor.
When I get them done, I can start adding smaller things, like this. The only real challenge with weapons is shooting.
And I am going to step into that kind of things with Sabre when the bigger parts are ready.

A 3D engine without possibility for shooting would be pretty useless, I think. :P
I don't even like FPS games or play them, but I still know that most of the 3D games out there are FPS games.

And the game which I will make to show off Sabre's capabilities, will be an FPS game.
Or.. not exactly. Something like FPS game, but more interesting (for me at least :wink: ).

Well, I guess the other thing would be floors, and other characters, which would seem most hard to me. Enemies with their own mind and their own actions seems to be impossible with gE. I have always wanted to make my own world, (Like Grand Theft Auto, without gangs and drugs, sorry I cannot think of any other example) and create a really fun city or something to explore as a 3D character. With things to collect and missions to beat, etc, but I do not know if Sabre could ever be capable of that , that would probabley be something like Google Sketch Up that could pull off that design.
kickstart

Score: 6 Give a positive score

Postby lcl » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:38 pm

JetpackGrizzly wrote:Well, I guess the other thing would be floors, and other characters, which would seem most hard to me.

I've been thinking about the floors, and it seems to be impossible to implement textured walls to sabre, because the texture fractioning + draw_from() -combination won't work.
It could be done with putpixel(), but that would slow the engine down way too much. So, I think one has to settle for a one-color floor. Of course I could add possibility of drawing some grid to represent the floor. But I'll have to take a look to this to see what I can do. But enemies and items are definitely possible to add, there is tutorials about that on the Internet.
JetpackGrizzly wrote:Enemies with their own mind and their own actions seems to be impossible with gE.

It's not impossible. One just has to be a pretty good coder to write functioning AI codes. Of course it depends on what you want the AI to be able to do.
If he is just going to follow the player and shoot (or do something else) when within a good distance, it isn't anything too complicated. But the more options you want to add to what he can
do and decide, the more difficult it gets. But the difficulty of this has nothing to do with GE, it is just as complicated in GE as it would be with any other program (when we talk
about programs that don't have automatic AI's).
JetpackGrizzly wrote:I have always wanted to make my own world, (Like Grand Theft Auto, without gangs and drugs, sorry I cannot think of any other example) and create a really fun city or something to explore as a 3D character.

That is something I've dreamt of, too. I can't understand why games should have to always contain weapons and shooting. It would be really cool to play a massive exploration game in different environments (nature, abandoned city, inhabited city) with graphics as good as modern fps games have.
JetpackGrizzly wrote:With things to collect and missions to beat, etc, but I do not know if Sabre could ever be capable of that , that would probabley be something like Google Sketch Up that could pull off that design.

Well, I'd say that even if it could be possible on some level in Sabre, I wouldn't recommend using Sabre for something like this, since in Sabre, the world is built from (big) blocks, and that's not all too great for exploration games.
lcl

Postby lcl » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:02 pm

Update!

This time I've been messing with the multiple storey drawing.
It seems to make the raycasting slow down depending on how big textures are used, how many storeys
of blocks there is, and what is the y position the player sees the world from (is he standing or crawling).

However, at least with 64 x 64, or 128 x 128 textures it runs smooth.
And this may vary depending on the computer one uses. I think I'll have to make you somekind of a test program
with all different graphic options, so that you can then tell me how it runs on your computer. This way I would get different results
from different computers, and that would help me to get the engine balanced well for basic computers.

Here's a screenshot of the world with three storeys.
It looks pretty neat, doesn't it?
(In the pic they players y position is slightly more than it would be when he's just standing. That's why it looks like as if he was floating in the air. :P )

In this pic all the walls are 3 blocks high, but if I am going to add the multiple storey -option to Sabre, it will of course be possible to
set the height for every piece of wall, and also to make one block tower consist of many different blocks.

I think that was all I wanted to say this time.
Thanks for all the attention and downloads, be patient waiting for the version 2! :)

EDIT:
I made a video about these updates/tests, here:
lcl

Postby kickstart » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:36 pm

I have been watching the videos on your wbesites! :)

Well, How would stairs be possible where a character could actually walk up them? An elevator would be cool too, where it could travel up and down he multiple stories.
kickstart

Postby lcl » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:35 pm

JetpackGrizzly wrote:Well, How would stairs be possible where a character could actually walk up them? An elevator would be cool too, where it could travel up and down he multiple stories.

I'm not sure how I would do the stairs, yet, but I think an elevator will be pretty easy. :)
lcl

Postby kickstart » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:19 pm

lcl wrote:
JetpackGrizzly wrote:Well, How would stairs be possible where a character could actually walk up them? An elevator would be cool too, where it could travel up and down he multiple stories.

I'm not sure how I would do the stairs, yet, but I think an elevator will be pretty easy. :)

Yeah, I would like to see elevators that could go up and down different levels. That would be very cool.
kickstart

Postby Hblade » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:32 am

Wow! I'm very impressed!
Subscribe to my YouTube? - Yes| No
Hblade

Score: 181 Give a positive score

Postby xcer1212 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:15 am

That's awesome lcl great work!!!
xcer1212

Score: 1 Give a positive score

Postby lcl » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:38 pm

JetpackGrizzly wrote:Yeah, I would like to see elevators that could go up and down different levels. That would be very cool.

And I'm pretty sure that you will get to see that! :)

Hblade wrote:Wow! I'm very impressed!

Haha, thanks again! :) I can guarantee that you'll be much more impressed when the version 2.0 is there!

xcer1212 wrote:That's awesome lcl great work!!!

Thank you, too! :)
lcl

Postby lcl » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:56 pm

I made a Progress Updates -section to the world editor post.
Here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12644&p=90376#p90376
lcl

Postby Hblade » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:15 pm

This is crazy!
Hblade

Postby lcl » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:13 pm

Hblade wrote:This is crazy!

Haha :D Thanks!
lcl

Postby Hblade » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:01 pm

No problem :) I look forward to a future game with this :3
Hblade

Postby lcl » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:05 pm

Hblade wrote:No problem :) I look forward to a future game with this :3

:) It'll take some time. A lot of work has to be done before Sabre is finished. And then I can finally begin working on the game that
will represent Sabre's abilities.
lcl

PreviousNext

Return to Game Demos