I'm trying to write my blank test .ged file to the gp2x..

Learn how to make certain types of games and use gameEditor.

I'm trying to write my blank test .ged file to the gp2x..

Postby Sayato » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:15 pm

I'm trying to write my blank test .ged file to the gp2x.. but I honestly don't know where to go... I have tried briefly viewing this sites tutorials.

I'm basically just asking how do I do it? I on a gp2x an a USB cable an my computer specs are listed. I think (perhaps) my Gamepad at least USED to be listed in my "This PC" window. I apologize if this request is perceived as laziness, it just seemed like asking the discussion board was the correct ship to board after briefly viewing of this site's tutorials. My laptop specs are listed in the .GIF. I'm using Game Editor Professional version 1.4.0. I'm trying to load a blank test .ged onto my gp2x. Can anyone aid me?
Attachments
Specs.gif
Sephiroth's strength is unreal. He is far stronger in reality then any story you might have heard about him.
Sayato

Score: 1 Give a positive score

Re: I'm trying to write my blank test .ged file to the gp2x.

Postby lcl » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:28 pm

I'm not sure if I misunderstood something, but it sounds like as if you were trying to put a .ged file to your gp2x and play that with it?
In case that's what you're doing, that's not the right way to do it. A .ged is just a game editor project file, you'll have to export it for gp2x and copy that file (it's not a .ged, it's a .gpe) to your device.

As for how to export for gp2x, here's how it goes (click to see the full-size picture):
exportForGP2X.png

Doing that creates a .gpe-file with the name you specified to the location you selected. Note that it may be impossible to choose your gp2x as the exporting location! Just export the game anywhere, to the desktop for example, and then move the file to your gp2x.
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby Sayato » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:37 am

Question #1: If you know how to efficiently upload images without reducing the quality, could you please share this information with me?

Question #2. (This is the question the attached image is in reference to): My gp2x is connected via USB, and it's not showing up anywhere. I'm 76.8% positive that it -=USED TO=-.
Attachments
7-14 PM 1-17-2015.png
Sephiroth's strength is unreal. He is far stronger in reality then any story you might have heard about him.
Sayato

Postby lcl » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:46 pm

#1: Just use a better file type. Png for example won't lose any data.

#2: Have you tried to update your devices drivers? It may be that your computer can't recognize it because the drivers aren't up to date. Also, again, I suggest you to not try to use the device as the location where you create the gp2x executable file. Don't be fooled by the word 'export'. In this context it doesn't mean taking the game to anywhere, it just means converting the ged project to an executable program! You can create the executable to Desktop and then just move it to your device.

EDIT: It's also not advised to use spaces, commas or exclamation marks in your file names.
lcl

Postby Sayato » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:37 pm

My computer sees it now. I just had to wiggle the chords a little. Ha-ha.

What directory on the gp2x does it place the *.gpe file? I'm trying to test it with the dimension55355 file.
Sayato

Postby lcl » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:19 pm

Sayato wrote:My computer sees it now. I just had to wiggle the chords a little. Ha-ha.

What directory on the gp2x does it place the *.gpe file? I'm trying to test it with the dimension55355 file.

It seems that you're still not understanding it correctly. Game Editor creates the file in the location you choose via the [Select] button in the exporting window.
And exporting doesn't mean placing the file anywhere, or moving the game to your device. Exporting means compiling the ged-project to an executable form. That can mean a windows executable, linux executable, ..., gp2x executable, you select what you want to compile the project as. So, select gp2x executable and export it where ever you want. I'd suggest not trying to export straight to the device, as that may not work. Use the [Select] button and for example, select your desktop as the exporting location. Now, after you click [Export], Game Editor creates the file to your Desktop. From that point on, moving the file to your gp2x has nothing to do with Game Editor. You just move it to the device just as you would move any other file.
lcl

Postby Sayato » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:42 am

Alright, I -=THINK-= I understand what it wants. What directory on E:\ do I place the file? And is it looking for the .gpe or
.ged file?
Sayato

Postby Sayato » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:59 pm

*.gpe is the file use to play your game on the gp2x. I'm guessing. *.ged is the file you load to view it on your computer, right?
Sayato

Postby schnellboot » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:10 am

Sayato wrote:*.gpe is the file use to play your game on the gp2x. I'm guessing. *.ged is the file you load to view it on your computer, right?

ged is the source code and the resources are separated in the data folder
gpe is the exported game with the compiled code and resources in itself
schnellboot

Score: 102 Give a positive score

Postby Sayato » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:38 am

In other words, I was correct then?

Could I get a "blank" ged and gpe file to upload, just to make sure that I've basically got the upload process down before I begin programming my game?
Sayato

Return to Tutorials