Is Game Editor's Popularity Decreasing?

Non-platform specific questions.

Is Game Editor's Popularity Decreasing?

Postby kickstart » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:00 pm

I have brought up this question because in 2009 there was a time where there was 69 active viewers on the site. There are over 23000 members on this forums but I only see about 50 at the most participate. I do not have statistics for this site and the popularity of it, and the popularity of game editor, but it seems as theres been a decrease of gE members in recent years.

Is this because of lack of development? What has been the last time that there has been an update to game editor, anyways? Because iOS has been a relatively new feature right? Or was that a couple of years ago? As a comminuty we need to keep game editor popular, even if we aren't involved in its development or even if we aren't administators (Global Moderator).
kickstart

Score: 6 Give a positive score

Re: Is Game Editor's Popularity Decreasing?

Postby lcl » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:56 pm

This is one of the main reasons Steam Run project was launched.
To make Game Editor more famous.
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:09 pm

JetpackGrizzly wrote:but it seems as theres been a decrease of gE members in recent years.

This is true, but that 69 users wasn't even gE's highest. The stat was reset I think in 2008, but I believe it went over 150.

lcl wrote:There are over 23000 members on this forums

And if you look, a lot of them never signed in more than once. It used to be you had to have an account to use gE. But even then, a good number were created as spam accounts, that just happened to never be used (you can tell because they share identically sized images, all have information in their profile filled out in similar ways, and so on).

JetpackGrizzly wrote:Is this because of lack of development? What has been the last time that there has been an update to game editor, anyways?

For some ex-active members, this is the case. The longer people use gE, the higher the chance they will switch to a different tool that can do what they want. People tend to learn programming here, or at least start their game design here. Last official update was 1.4.0, which came out first half of 2010 I believe. There have been very minor invisible updates, but you'd only know that if you were the reason it got updated. And 1.5 has been talked about since mid 2011, and was originally slated for a release sometime around then. But it has been pushed back for quite some time.

JetpackGrizzly wrote:Because iOS has been a relatively new feature right? Or was that a couple of years ago?

It's been around for 3 years. So far it hasn't proved to be a solve all problems feature. I doubt there is one. But it and mac support did boost our user count for a while.

lcl wrote:This is one of the main reasons Steam Run project was launched.
To make Game Editor more famous.

This is right. We are currently aiming to make an amazing game, and my goal is to get it and gE kickstarted (profits go to gE's development). That way we increase views of gE, and show off what a great game it can make. Hopefully by then, we'll have cleaned some things up, and created more documentation.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby kickstart » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:15 pm

Are we planning to sell this game? (Steam Run)

And what about websites like Kickstarter that could earn more money towards development of gE?
kickstart

Postby skydereign » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:21 pm

Umm....
skydereign wrote:my goal is to get it and gE kickstarted (profits go to gE's development)

We don't want to kickstart gE directly, as it isn't in a decent enough state yet. And even then, there aren't very good rewards we could give, especially since licensing is no longer existent.

JetpackGrizzly wrote:Are we planning to sell this game? (Steam Run)

Currently I don't plan to. If this game is supposed to show off gE, and convince people to use it, I feel they shouldn't need to pay for it (and I'd prefer not doing a demo full version split). Now, we do intend to release it on as many stores as gE supports, so we could have certain devices have paid versions. Or we can bundle it, so they can pay what they want for it. There is still a lot we need to consider, but that'll continue happening while we make the game.
skydereign

Postby kickstart » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:28 pm

Well, if this game will be available for iOS, and well, every platform, it could get a lot of attention and become very popular. What do we have done on the game so far with the .ged itself? Or has that not been started yet?
kickstart

Postby skydereign » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:50 pm

JetpackGrizzly wrote:What do we have done on the game so far with the .ged itself? Or has that not been started yet?

Not really the place to be asking this, but we haven't started the main game file, nor should we. There is still tons of planning that should be done before that happens.
skydereign

Return to General