Gelman! (Demo 2!) - Source codes released!

Post here your demos and examples with the source files.
Forum rules
Always post the games with a screenshot.
The file must have the ged and data files (complete game source)
Use the forum attachment to post the files.
It is always better to use the first post to put the game files

Re: Gelman! (Demo 2!)

Postby Game A Gogo » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:30 pm

very nice and impressive!
but there is something that gets me, on the bottom right of the map, I crush those bricks and I stay stuck there D: will there be use for this? or just to be a trap and that shows a glitch when you try jumping in the hole?
Programming games is an art,
    Respect it.
Game A Gogo

Score: 181 Give a positive score

Postby pyrometal » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:46 pm

lol, that's because that place is intended for a door in the future... You aren't supposed to come back up once you reach this point in the game! Note that at first, Gelman wont be able to break the bricks to get there since he wont have the necessary moves to do so. Also, the rocket move will be used in combination with a special block type later, so you can get out of things like these. OR maybe I should simply make it so when the rocket collides, Gelman goes in jump gel mode instead of crush gel mode, does this sound better?

Anyway, thanks for commenting!
SPRITE WARRIOR:
Free, open-source & crossplatform pixel art editor (currently under construction).
pyrometal

Score: 86 Give a positive score

Postby pyrometal » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:33 am

Isn't there any other opinions out there??? I like opinions! Seriously, don't hesitate to comment! I'm looking for as much feed back as I can so I can steer this project in the best direction possible. Even the smallest comments will be appreciated!
SPRITE WARRIOR:
Free, open-source & crossplatform pixel art editor (currently under construction).
pyrometal

Postby Freddy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:54 pm

Great game! :D It's off to a good start. I'll be looking forward for the next demo.
Hola
Freddy

Score: 14 Give a positive score

Postby Game A Gogo » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:36 pm

Also what I would like to see, is like a menu where you can choose options and be able to set some movements. Like Super Metroid or something
    Respect it.
Game A Gogo

Postby pyrometal » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:30 pm

You mean like being able to set your own keys? Well, I think it might be a little late because of the way I programed the moves, but it wouldn't be impossible, just a lot of work. Thanks for the opinions!
SPRITE WARRIOR:
pyrometal

Postby Game A Gogo » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:39 pm

but also being able to customize the movements and stuff, like to set to whether switch to crush mode or jump mode after the shuttle thingy
    Respect it.
Game A Gogo

Postby jimmynewguy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:50 pm

ya! ive been waiting for this second demo since the first gelman demo, love the game! the background graphics are pretty cool and the game mechancis are phonomenal. 8) ya, i could'nt get out of the hole either :lol: , so i agree on the jumping out of the rocket. can't wait to see the next demo! :D
Working on a probably too ambitious project! Wild-west-adventure-RPG-shooter-thing.
jimmynewguy

Score: 89 Give a positive score

Postby pyrometal » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:07 pm

to Jimmy: Thanks! That means a lot to me.

to Gogo: I don't know if I can integrate that option... The moves and the way they work will have some puzzle sovling values later, so if I give too much freedom, people will be bound to find unwanted detours in the game and possibly causing themselves bugs... But I am willing to give some leeway, I think I will make some optional (possibly secret) moves/alterations available by doing certain things in-game. Thanks for the idea though!
SPRITE WARRIOR:
pyrometal

Postby Freddy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:56 pm

I actually managed to get out of the hole lol. I thought that was a glitch or something.
Hola
Freddy

Score: 14 Give a positive score

Postby pyrometal » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:09 am

You actually got out ?! :shock: I guess the game must have glitched then... The intention was to actually not be able to get out and having to go through a door at the bottom of it. Good work Freddy!
SPRITE WARRIOR:
pyrometal

Postby pyrometal » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:21 am

Oh, I wanted to know how you guys like the title screen's music. I made it, the 3rd tune I ever made. I think it sounds really odd, am I a hopeless case?
SPRITE WARRIOR:
pyrometal

Postby jimmynewguy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:33 am

The music is ok, i never really noticed it untill you said something, but i agree it kind of sounds awkward :)
Working on a probably too ambitious project! Wild-west-adventure-RPG-shooter-thing.
jimmynewguy

Score: 89 Give a positive score

Postby pyrometal » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:13 am

lol, I thought so...
SPRITE WARRIOR:
pyrometal

Postby pyrometal » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:41 pm

I've just added the possibility of jumping out of rocket mode and an attack while in cube mode. I haven't updated yet since these changes are not significant enough yet... Just thought I'd let you guys know!
SPRITE WARRIOR:
pyrometal

PreviousNext

Return to Game Demos