Stop child actors inheriting z depth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ideas for Game Editor evolution.

Stop child actors inheriting z depth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby JayInACob » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:51 pm

Very Annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JayInACob

Score: 0 Give a positive score

Re: Stop child actors inheriting z depth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby feral » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:49 pm

when first using GE i too found this very annoying until i figured out how it worked, then I realized it was a very useful tool, as it kept all child actors at an equal zdepth to the parent compared to other actoirs....

once you understand it , it is quite useful..

see my post here

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5754

feral
feral

Score: 47 Give a positive score

Postby Cleve Blakemore » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:57 am

Imagine assigning a parent to a big image background and the children remain beneath it. It would be very confusing. I think it could work no other way.
Cross Platform executable generation in a 4GL C-Scripted Compiler? I've got your Game Maker hanging right here.
Cleve Blakemore

Score: 1 Give a positive score

Postby DST » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:28 pm

The problem with parent/child is exactly what makes it useful. My onscreen actors, when i want one to follow another, i use x=actor.x, y=actor.y

But a menu....that's when i use child/parent. That's what child parent is for.
It doesnt just set an actor to mirror another, it actually has them share the parent's struct data.
Child x and parent x become the same thing, and child transp in actor control is only to define his transp difference from the parent.

What this means is, if you parent something to another actor, you can't reference its xy coordinates properly again.
You can't reference anything of that child properly without subtracting the parent values. Its very very hard to do anything real with a child actor.

But a menu....ahh, it works so beautifully. The child buttons sit perfectly on the parent menu background; they move perfectly with it, and when the parent disappears, so do the children. That's why they share transp, THAT"S why they share zdepth.
I have a game where you leave bullet holes in things. When a bullethole is made in an object, it childs itself to that object. Now they share the same Zdepth. It works perfectly. There isn't anything wrong with child/parent relationships.

If you want an actor to follow another, just use x=actor.x; y=actor.y; :P
It's easier to be clever than it is to be kind.
http://www.lostsynapse.com
http://www.dstgames.com
DST

Score: 151 Give a positive score

Postby Bee-Ant » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:11 pm

Sometimes i feel annoyed because it,but sometimes i feel happy because it too. What about make a dialog when parenting?such as "inherit zdepth?" y/n...it would be easier if we have more option :D
Bee-Ant

Score: 210 Give a positive score

Return to Feature Requests