[Forum Project #1] Steam Run Design Document

Subforum dedicated to discussing group projects.

Re: [Forum Project #1] Steam Run Design Document

Postby Jagmaster » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:28 pm

Here's a mockup of the drill vehicle.

As this is a rough draft, I'll certainly make the vehicle a lot less blocky looking and more streamlined and certainly more steampunky...

On another note, I did notice after rendering that the drill is indeed spinning backwards. I will fix that in future updates (too lazy to fix now xD ).
Jagmaster

Score: 82 Give a positive score

Postby happyjustbecause » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:27 am

Wow that looks awesome Jag, I would love to see further development of the drill. Sorry I haven't been active much either, I'll check out everything again and get back into it.\ soon.
For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.
-Carl Sagan

Night Knight Development Thread
happyjustbecause

Score: 15 Give a positive score

Postby Jagmaster » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:40 am

In other news-
I just saw a review for Mercenary Kings, and it immediately made me think of this project.

http://www.tigsource.com/2013/07/29/mercenary-kings/

It features metal slug type gameplay with weapon crafting. Lotsa weapon crafting. Pretty inspiring, really.

I initially pictured our game's crafting (if it were implemented) to have a bit more flexibility though. A little more like Minecraft, where you'd have a grid, and you'd put various pieces in different spots to make items. But then again, maybe something more straight-forward like MK's system would be better.
Jagmaster

Postby happyjustbecause » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:48 pm

I think that Mercenary Kings is a good representation of what I was picturing for the menus and even the style of graphics. I think ours would be a little more colorful, I think that the building you made has nice warm colors like I'm imagining, also the initial picture of the main character has nice reds and yellows like I've been picturing.

But yeah, that crafting system looks alright, I do think that Minecraft's way of handling crafting is really nice and simplistic, but some kind of mixture between the two would be nice. I've never been much of a crafter in games, I customize and create my characters all the time, spending a lot of time on making a cool character, but I've never been one for crafting a trap or something in RPGs.

I think the reason that is, is because so many crafting systems in games require you to go through a boatload of menus (that's a lot). I like minecraft's system because it's so easy and quick, a little restricted and not as complex, but it opens up the crafting system to a bigger audience. So if we could merge the easy to navigate with complex and deep system of crafting, it would turn out better than one or another.

I'm still so impressed by that drill concept you made.

Well, I hope this project gets realized and comes into existence, it seems gE really bounces around from activity to inactivity. I'm not a good programmer or much of an artist, I think I just have ideas in my head that want to come out, but not even all that many, I need to respond to someone else's idea and build on it instead of come up with my own. That's why I've been so absent from this project.
For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.
-Carl Sagan

Night Knight Development Thread
happyjustbecause

Score: 15 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:16 am

happyjustbecause wrote:Well, I hope this project gets realized and comes into existence, it seems gE really bounces around from activity to inactivity. I'm not a good programmer or much of an artist, I think I just have ideas in my head that want to come out, but not even all that many, I need to respond to someone else's idea and build on it instead of come up with my own. That's why I've been so absent from this project.

I know what you mean. I've been busy, so I haven't done anything presentable. But minimally we should be able to bounce ideas around, and keep this thread alive. I'm still quite concerned with the need for artists. We can't go too far without nailing down some graphics for the player and world.

Jagmaster wrote:I initially pictured our game's crafting (if it were implemented) to have a bit more flexibility though. A little more like Minecraft, where you'd have a grid, and you'd put various pieces in different spots to make items. But then again, maybe something more straight-forward like MK's system would be better.

happyjustbecause wrote:But yeah, that crafting system looks alright, I do think that Minecraft's way of handling crafting is really nice and simplistic, but some kind of mixture between the two would be nice. I've never been much of a crafter in games, I customize and create my characters all the time, spending a lot of time on making a cool character, but I've never been one for crafting a trap or something in RPGs.

I'd like guns to be a collection of parts, that way they can be dismantled and recreated. It'll be simple enough to allow reverse crafting, but then we get into the problem of very specific recipes. The idea of tweaking augments and abilities on the weapons makes the most sense to me, that way the player has a perfect idea about what they are trying to build. But, at the same time the more dynamic/powerful the crafting is, the better.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby sonicforvergame » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:45 pm

I don't intend in making any game right know but i do have the time to make some backgrounds,floor,and all kinds of environment for the game
If you can tell me what kind of Environment i will be working on it as soon as i can .
Kaizoku ni ore wa naru
sonicforvergame

Score: 10 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:57 am

sonicforvergame wrote:I don't intend in making any game right know but i do have the time to make some backgrounds,floor,and all kinds of environment for the game
If you can tell me what kind of Environment i will be working on it as soon as i can .

The game takes place in a steampunk world, so a steampunk environment. That means lots of pipes, gears, and open machinery. Try doing something for lower city, where the player lives. It isn't a well off place, but not quite the slums.
skydereign

Postby sonicforvergame » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:09 pm

I will see what i can do but it's gonna take some times , i need to get My tools and stuff,but i got a pretty good idea about the city
Kaizoku ni ore wa naru
sonicforvergame

Score: 10 Give a positive score

Postby Jagmaster » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:26 am

Sorry, I've been absent for a while too. Summer does that to you ;)

skydereign wrote:
But minimally we should be able to bounce ideas around, and keep this thread alive.

Agreed. I'll try to stay more active. I'll be quite busy the last few weeks of this month though.

I'm still quite concerned with the need for artists. We can't go too far without nailing down some graphics for the player and world.

I could start on some player mockups for ya. Anything specific you want?

Speaking of art, where has GEuser gone I wonder? He must've drove a DeLorean at 88 mph without an adequate supply of plutonium, stranding him in the past.
We must save him. Does anyone have a Tardis I could rent? :P
Jagmaster

Postby JaroodaGames » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:43 am

Jagmaster wrote:Speaking of art, where has GEuser gone I wonder? He must've drove a DeLorean at 88 mph without an adequate supply of plutonium, stranding him in the past.
We must save him. Does anyone have a Tardis I could rent? :P

Here you go.
EDIT:
Jagmaster wrote:Oh, that's much too big of a tardis for this forum. :P Shrink it, and it should still be plenty big enough on the inside.

Done.
Last edited by JaroodaGames on Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
JaroodaGames

Score: 2 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:18 am

Jagmaster wrote:I could start on some player mockups for ya. Anything specific you want?

The two main images/animations that would probably help out the most are a run animation and standing, aiming at various angles (without weapons). Weapons and particles don't take too long, so I should be able to handle that. With that we can start having a concept ged that gets the feeling of the game across. I'm partial to the style used in the concept sprite, but if you find another style to be easier to use for animations go ahead. These don't need to be near final quality by any stretch, just stuff to get the ball rolling.
skydereign

Postby Jagmaster » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:46 am

JaroodaGames wrote:
Jagmaster wrote:Speaking of art, where has GEuser gone I wonder? He must've drove a DeLorean at 88 mph without an adequate supply of plutonium, stranding him in the past.
[img]massive%20image[/img]
Here you go.

Oh, that's much too big of a tardis for this forum. :P Shrink it, and it should still be plenty big enough on the inside.

skydereign wrote:The two main images/animations that would probably help out the most are a run animation and standing, aiming at various angles (without weapons). Weapons and particles don't take too long, so I should be able to handle that. With that we can start having a concept ged that gets the feeling of the game across. I'm partial to the style used in the concept sprite, but if you find another style to be easier to use for animations go ahead. These don't need to be near final quality by any stretch, just stuff to get the ball rolling.

Alright got it. I'll go with 2D cutout image puppets in blender. I'm sort of tempted to try a fully geometric one though. Whatever works best will be the one I post. :)
Jagmaster

Postby Jagmaster » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:36 pm

Alrighty, here's the Fenix Cryptwell rig, mark 1

cool pose -

turnaround -

model sheet, front view -
The side view turned out horrible, so I'm not posting it. :P

Blend file

I will animate later this weekend.
Jagmaster

Postby skydereign » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:32 am

The model looks pretty awesome. The head I think needs a little work, he looks a little too cartoonish right now. But I look forward to seeing an animated version.
skydereign

Postby Turon » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:16 pm

So if Fenix Cryptwell looks to cartoonish do you want a head like real person?
Turon

Score: 32 Give a positive score

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Projects