Are video games art?

How to find or create sprites, graphics, sounds and music.

Are video games art?

Postby j2graves » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:52 pm

It seems that one question that tends to float around these days is;
"Are video games art?"
Interesting question, isn't it? We game developers, who work long and hard on games, might be quick to say "Yes, they are!". But one cannot say something is art unless they first define art, and that thing fits into that definition. I'm curious on people's opinions on this. Do you think video games are art? Why or why not? What do you consider to be art, and why?
No games to my name...
j2graves

Score: 19 Give a positive score

Re: Are video games art?

Postby MrJolteon » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:19 pm

I'd say both yes and no, because some games are art, and some are not.
Join us on Discord!
Game Editor 2
These are the best ways to reach me these days

Your local Community Janitor, always lurking in the shadows...
MrJolteon

Score: 105 Give a positive score

Postby Jagmaster » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:27 pm

Graphics/spriting/animating=ART, Music/sound design/vocals and story development = ART Coding = ART!!!

This is why I love game development, it encompasses all the art forms I know of, and melts it into a single respectable art form in itself

Game A Gogo wrote:Game programming is an art. RESPECT IT!
Jagmaster

Score: 82 Give a positive score

Postby Game A Gogo » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:29 pm

Art is something that is suppose to bring out emotions in you.

Games are certainly arts. Not only that, but it's various media all put into one.

Images is art. Musics is art. Story is art. Animated images is also art (Look at movies).

How can games not be art if they are solely composed of art works?

On top of that, you can even choose what happens. So it's like all those art pieces multiplied by infinite of possibilities!

Really, if games are not art works, I'd trow my on-coming career away.

EDIT: I see jagmaster beat me to it :P
Programming games is an art,
    Respect it.
Game A Gogo

Score: 181 Give a positive score

Postby Jagmaster » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:03 pm

Game A Gogo wrote:EDIT: I see jagmaster beat me to it :P

:lol: after typing that it sounded like something you would say, so I decided to quote your signature. :P

The game industry is always expanding. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future like 50 years from now instead of say, going to a theater to see a movie, people will go to a theater to play games. Imagine, a movie you can actually be a part of! Being able to stand in the middle of a fictional environment and live a story side-by side with the characters themselves! As virtual reality increases, people will hire actors to play roles in virtual "movies" instead of regular ones so to speak. They are already doing it on a small level. Every gadget that comes out nowadays is just a step closer to this state of game art! It's just a matter of time until all the element come together. In a way, game development may be the future of art itself.
Jagmaster

Score: 82 Give a positive score

Postby DST » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:55 pm

The word 'art' gets thrown around a lot these days. Art is like Sanity. We can be pretty sure in the more extreme situations that someone isn't sane, but there isn't a sanity measure for everyone.
Almost anything can be art from a certain point of view, but not everyone shares that point of view.

But don't forget about Illustration. In most circles, that is not considered the same as art. Do a google search for 'art vs. illustration' and you'll find plenty of discussions there. I think that's the debate when it comes to video games.
It's easier to be clever than it is to be kind.
http://www.lostsynapse.com
http://www.dstgames.com
DST

Score: 151 Give a positive score

Postby ikarus » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:24 am

I believe just about anything can be art. And especially games! Down to it, art by it's definition is a way of communicating through unconventional means utilizing some kind of skill. So by that definition I'd say 100% games are art, is at a high skill level, so is programming.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.code1011.com <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
ikarus

Score: 11 Give a positive score

Return to Game Resources