Hello Old Friends

Game Editor comments and discussion.

Hello Old Friends

Postby foleyjo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:56 am

Hi everyone,

I haven't used game-editor for over 2 years now. I started a new job which took up most of my time and then never got back into it.
I've not stopped having game ideas though and last night I decided to start working on games again and downloaded the latest (beta) version.

Sadly I've forgotten how to do loads of things. Took me ages just to make the text change :lol: .

Before I get to work on my game I have a couple of questions.

1 - I can't find the page about license costs. I'm interested in making some small games that I can play on my android phone and thought it would be nice to put them on the market. My old C64 quiz for example.(I've read how Android support is still being worked on). I thought I could charge a small fee to make back some of the costs of putting the games on there in the first place.

2 - Is there issues with the beta and clone indexes? I was trying to read the clone index of a collide object but it wasn't working. I then tried to do textobject.textnumber = 2; and got no output. I'm going to have to go through my old game files as a refresh but if the beta has issues i'll go back to the main release.

3 - Were scaling and rotating implemented? When I last used it you needed to use canvasas to get these effects.

4 - Is everyone still using game-editor or is there an alternative they have moved too? (ie: is the old crowd still around as they were all very helpful)
KISS -Keep It Simple Stoopid
foleyjo

Score: 15 Give a positive score

Re: Hello Old Friends

Postby skydereign » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:04 am

foleyjo wrote:1 - I can't find the page about license costs. I'm interested in making some small games that I can play on my android phone and thought it would be nice to put them on the market. My old C64 quiz for example.(I've read how Android support is still being worked on). I thought I could charge a small fee to make back some of the costs of putting the games on there in the first place.

There are no license costs anymore. Do keep in mind though that the beta version is still in beta, and android is really in alpha right now. After I graduate I'll have more time to work on the android port.

foleyjo wrote:2 - Is there issues with the beta and clone indexes? I was trying to read the clone index of a collide object but it wasn't working. I then tried to do textobject.textnumber = 2; and got no output. I'm going to have to go through my old game files as a refresh but if the beta has issues i'll go back to the main release.

There very well may be. I don't recommend actually working with the beta version for your game. Develop in a stable version of gE until the new version is released.

foleyjo wrote:3 - Were scaling and rotating implemented? When I last used it you needed to use canvasas to get these effects.

They were in the 1.5 alpha which is not being released any time soon. The beta you downloaded is 1.4.1, which will be a minor gE release.

foleyjo wrote:4 - Is everyone still using game-editor or is there an alternative they have moved too? (ie: is the old crowd still around as they were all very helpful)

Some people have stuck around. Not sure what tools the others ended up leaving gE for, I know a few just got used to the freedom and power of real programming environments.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby foleyjo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:38 am

Thanks for the answers and I'm very happy to see you're still around Skydereign.
foleyjo

Postby MrJolteon » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:19 pm

Welcome back.
yeah i'm still around there's no way i'm leaving anytime soon
Join us on Discord!
Game Editor 2
These are the best ways to reach me these days

Your local Community Janitor, always lurking in the shadows...
MrJolteon

Score: 105 Give a positive score

Postby foleyjo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:36 pm

Thanks MrJolteon.

I've just been brushing up on a few things and I think part of my problem was actually bad coding. I think I forgot to put a break in a switch case. Will have a look when I finish work.
I'm glad I took sometime out because I'm really excited about starting again. I might actually get something finished this time. I've got an actual design plan this time rather than just jumping straight into it, and I know what bits of code I will need to get working before trying to create the levels.
Before I would have a basic idea with no real level/room design and throw in new ideas as they came to me resulting in lots of bugs and unfinished projects. I learned a lot of techniques but so much time was wasted re-writing code.

I'm looking forward to seeing what other games people have made while I've been away too. Any recommendations?
foleyjo

Postby knucklecrunchgames » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:59 pm

Hello newbie.
knucklecrunchgames

Score: 17 Give a positive score

Postby MrJolteon » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:11 pm

knucklecrunchgames wrote:Hello newbie.

This guy's been around for a lot longer than you.
Join us on Discord!
Game Editor 2

MrJolteon

Postby knucklecrunchgames » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:45 pm

MrJolteon wrote:

Yeah I know, sarcasm ever heard of it
knucklecrunchgames

Postby MrJolteon » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:55 pm

knucklecrunchgames wrote:
MrJolteon wrote:

no i have never heard of sarcasm can you tell me about it because obviously ive never heard of sarcasm its not like sarcasm doesnt translate well into text or anything its because ive never heard of it you must be blind to miss that
Join us on Discord!
Game Editor 2

MrJolteon

Postby knucklecrunchgames » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:07 pm

MrJolteon wrote:
MrJolteon wrote:

no i have never heard of sarcasm can you tell me about it because obviously ive never heard of sarcasm its not like sarcasm doesnt translate well into text or anything its because ive never heard of it you must be blind to miss that

Well let me te... You know what, I'm sick and tired of fighting with you and afterwards I get the blame because you were here before me.
knucklecrunchgames

Postby MrJolteon » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:08 pm

MrJolteon wrote:
MrJolteon wrote:

Well let me te... You know what, I'm sick and tired of fighting with you and afterwards I get the blame because you were here before me.

I
was
being
sarcastic
Join us on Discord!
Game Editor 2

MrJolteon

Postby lcl » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:21 pm

Hi foleyjo! It's good to see someone return to the forum! A lot people have left and a lot only spectate the forums without posting. I've stayed active, however. You may not remember me but anyway. Welcome back! :)

Also, Jolt..
MrJolteon wrote:
lcl wrote:
MrJolteon wrote:Nice hat.
Thanks!

I
was
being
sarcastic

Well I stole your face. asdfmovie, anyone
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby bat78 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:21 pm

Welcome back foleyjo.
Nomatter i must be.. just 1 year younger then you, i don't think our roads crossed anywhere in the past xDD
The future of "Game-Editor" here
bat78

Score: 88 Give a positive score

Postby MrJolteon » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:27 am

lcl wrote:Hi foleyjo! It's good to see someone return to the forum! A lot people have left and a lot only spectate the forums without posting. I've stayed active, however. You may not remember me but anyway. Welcome back! :)

Also, Jolt..
MrJolteon wrote:
lcl wrote:
MrJolteon wrote:Nice hat.
Thanks!

I
was
being
sarcastic

Well I stole your face. asdfmovie, anyone

:lol:
Join us on Discord!
Game Editor 2

MrJolteon

Postby foleyjo » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:23 am

Hey lcl I remember you.
Remember getting quite a bit of advice from you and skydereign and playing some of your games.
Is Bee-Ant still active? He had some decent games too.

Making steady progress with my game now and really enjoying it. I found that my initial problems were down to a bit of bad programming and those wonderful hidden features of game-editor.

The problem with the textnumber was simply the fact that it was (for no reason I could see) moving the text actor off the screen. When I made it follow a different character I could see it was working fine.
I then spent a couple of hours trying to get a global function to work and then I remembered you had to reference all the actors that would be used in the global function in the event that called it.

People who joined while I've been away - it's good to meet you, I look forward to asking you all lots of questions when I get stuck, (which is often :lol:)
foleyjo

Next

Return to GE - General