gameEditor 1.4.1 Announcement [Beta Released]

How to find or create sprites, graphics, sounds and music.

Re: gameEditor 1.4.1 Announcement [Beta Released]

Postby skydereign » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:15 am

digiot wrote:There is something I have to add here, concerning the text size.

Also outside the editor window, the text in the menus and the tooltips
can become nearly unreadable, if you use a HD-monitor.

Maybe, you can simply enlarge the text generally a bit, in the whole GE ?

Would be nice, if you could tell me, where in the source I have to look
for setting the x windows properties, I'm totally lost among all the
h/cpp files!

I understand legibility is a problem, but there isn't an easy solution to this. gE is using an image file font for all text, and therefore almost all of the user interface of gE is hard coded in size. gE uses kyra for the ui so if you want to poke around, there is one place to do it. But you can't just increase the size of the text font, because every pixel position reference that aligns everything in gE would be messed up.

digiot wrote:My search in the GE sources has not brought me any further.

It takes a long time to get a general idea of where to look for this. I still don't have anywhere close to a good idea where to look for everything.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby digiot » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:02 am

skydereign wrote:...but there isn't an easy solution to this. gE is using
an image file font for all text, and therefore almost
all of the user interface of gE is hard coded in size. ...

When it is really such strange, like it sounds, then I'm out here.
Just thought, that were peanuts...

But I will not give up trying to give the GE window the name it
deserves, i.e. to mess around with the X properties, as long as I
can find them in the code !
digiot

Score: 7 Give a positive score

Postby Lacotemale » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:23 pm

Overall I think what you did was very brave and I think the extra features such as dimensions settings for the editor really make a great difference! 8)

However, file IO operations that work in standard C don't work in GE and there are annoying issues regarding feature parity.

If I need to copy & paste or use sounds I need to use the Windows version.

If I need to test IO operations I need to use the Linux version... which doesn't even seem to work anyway.

Hopefully in the future we can have the same features across multiple platforms. :)
Lacotemale

Postby digiot » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:50 pm

@Lacotemale : Ooh, you're baffling me a bit, thought, the sound issue on Linux
was fixed !?

Have just started to use GE daily, no experience with sound yet.

But in Wine it is working ?
digiot

Postby skydereign » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:19 pm

Lacotemale wrote:However, file IO operations that work in standard C don't work in GE and there are annoying issues regarding feature parity.

This is something I still need to fix with the beta, as school work has been taking up almost all of my time. It'll be two weeks or so before I have any serious time to work on gE dev. Also please remember the beta version is not a finished release, so there may be small things here and there that aren't working completely.

Lacotemale wrote:Hopefully in the future we can have the same features across multiple platforms. :)

Indeed. This is one of the first things I'll be trying to get done when I get the time.
skydereign

Postby Hblade » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:05 pm

This may have been asked before, but do you guys plan on using a smoother rendering engine? You mentioned once before that the "burps" in framerate have to do with screen tearing, I've discovered more of this on tons of software, including virtualdub, and a lot of other video-display softwares. This also happens on YouTube videos, unless you're using something like XBox Media Center for windows/linux or w/e. I've tried recording w/fraps a video that burps, and it was smooth as can be. Which is why I was wondering if you are planning on enhancing/changing the way things are rendered in the future
Subscribe to my YouTube? - Yes| No
Hblade

Score: 181 Give a positive score

Postby LeeFesler » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:11 pm

Overall it runs alotttttt better. But a big issue I keep having is that every time I right click on any actor, and click, DELETE, the program freezes, says its encountered an issue and then closes. When I load it back up, I'm able to leave off where I was, but its quite annoying. That deffinately needs fixed.
Be a DJENTLEMAN!!!!! \m/
LeeFesler

Score: 3 Give a positive score

Postby knucklecrunchgames » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:36 pm

Are you all still making this?
knucklecrunchgames

Score: 17 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:48 pm

knucklecrunchgames wrote:Are you all still making this?

Yes. School and the end of the year have been keeping me quite busy, but I'll be releasing an updated version of the beta within a few weeks.

LeeFesler wrote:But a big issue I keep having is that every time I right click on any actor, and click, DELETE, the program freezes, says its encountered an issue and then closes. When I load it back up, I'm able to leave off where I was, but its quite annoying. That deffinately needs fixed.

I'll take a look. What version are you using (windows/linux)?

Hblade wrote:This may have been asked before, but do you guys plan on using a smoother rendering engine? You mentioned once before that the "burps" in framerate have to do with screen tearing, I've discovered more of this on tons of software, including virtualdub, and a lot of other video-display softwares. This also happens on YouTube videos, unless you're using something like XBox Media Center for windows/linux or w/e. I've tried recording w/fraps a video that burps, and it was smooth as can be. Which is why I was wondering if you are planning on enhancing/changing the way things are rendered in the future

That would be much further down the line.
skydereign

Postby LeeFesler » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:47 am

LeeFesler wrote:But a big issue I keep having is that every time I right click on any actor, and click, DELETE, the program freezes, says its encountered an issue and then closes. When I load it back up, I'm able to leave off where I was, but its quite annoying. That deffinately needs fixed.

I'll take a look. What version are you using (windows/linux)?

I am using Windows 7. :3
Be a DJENTLEMAN!!!!! \m/
LeeFesler

Score: 3 Give a positive score

Postby Lacotemale » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:46 pm

Sky if you get file I/O with standard C sorted and Export to Android from the export Menu done I will reward/sponsor you for your dev time. :)

(Im dead serious) Since I/O isn't working I completely stopped working on my game and I do want to get back working on it, but only if there is a point. (if I can save game)
Lacotemale

Postby skydereign » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:07 am

Lacotemale wrote:Sky if you get file I/O with standard C sorted and Export to Android from the export Menu done I will reward/sponsor you for your dev time. :)

(Im dead serious) Since I/O isn't working I completely stopped working on my game and I do want to get back working on it, but only if there is a point. (if I can save game)

I'll push the changes for working io this weekend. The android part will take some investigating but I should have a better idea of what it'll take in a few days.
skydereign

Postby Lacotemale » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:32 pm

I'll push the changes for working io this weekend. The android part will take some investigating but I should have a better idea of what it'll take in a few days.

Awesome! The I/O stuff is far more important to me at the moment, so the export can wait a while if you like.

Will I need to make my own build of GE after you push the changes or can you send me a build? :)
Lacotemale

Postby lcl » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:07 pm

Hey, it's great to hear file i/o will be fixed! :D
But I also have two little bug reports:

1. Exporting doesn't work when it should overwrite a previously exported file.
I click the export button, but it does actually nothing.

2. Actors that have been moved using the nudging with control + arrow keys don't
keep their positions. When the ged is reloaded, the actors are back at where they were before adjusting their positions via nudging.

Those are just minor things, but I thought informing you about them would possibly help. :)
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:08 pm

lcl wrote:But I also have two little bug reports:

1. Exporting doesn't work when it should overwrite a previously exported file.
I click the export button, but it does actually nothing.

2. Actors that have been moved using the nudging with control + arrow keys don't
keep their positions. When the ged is reloaded, the actors are back at where they were before adjusting their positions via nudging.

Those are just minor things, but I thought informing you about them would possibly help. :)

Thanks. Bug reports are great. I can't fix them if I don't know about them.
skydereign

PreviousNext

Return to Game Resources