[Forum Project #1] Programming - Map Editor

Subforum dedicated to discussing group projects.

[Forum Project #1] Programming - Map Editor

Postby skydereign » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:20 am

Design Document Head: http://game-editor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12449
Most Recent Release: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1y8dx6sfw0opuxm/RPG%20Template.zip

Summary
This section of the document is dedicated to discussion about the map editor, and how levels work. There may be some redundant information, but that's natural in a design document. We have a early concept build, but are looking for a good clean design interface, and controls.

Programmers
AliceXIII

Features
  • Save/Load maps for editing.
  • Customizable backgrounds (parallax)
  • Player spawn placements.
  • Doors mechanic to move between levels.
  • Use of spawners for enemies and similar.
  • Animatable objects (like gears).
  • Linking switches with certain actors.
  • Placeable pickups.
  • z setting for individual tiles.
  • Load functionality for in game testing (able to move the screen around).
  • Method of controlling currently enabled actors within the level (for efficiency).
  • More to come.

To Do List
  • The To Do List

Level Design
Will fill as discussion continues.

Current State
We are still in the early concept phase in terms of everything, so more to come depending on the direction of the project. We are currently visualizing large levels, meant to be explored multiple times. Due to the nature of steampunk it would be good to have a very solid cause and effect system, with at minimum two states (for simple switches). We should aim for a generic solution, allowing for more complex levels. Our primary concern is for the finished exported level, but also in terms of design simplicity for the editor itself. Depending on the results, we can even include the map editor into the game, allowing the players to build their own levels. Remember, the hub itself will be a level, which means we may need to support even more complexity.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Re: [Forum Project #1] Programming - Map Editor

Postby AliceXIII » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:45 pm

Features
Save/Load maps for editing. - almost done with this part, although this section will be under constant changes due to adding new features in!

Customizable backgrounds (parallax) - not started yet.

Player spawn placements. - not started yet.

Doors mechanic to move between levels. - not started yet.

Use of spawners for enemies and similar. - not started yet.

Animatable objects (like gears). - not started yet.

Linking switches with certain actors. - not started yet.

Placeable pickups. - not started yet.

z setting for individual tiles. - partially exists already i have 10 differnt z layers for tiles and objects, although they dont save yet!

Load functionality for in game testing (able to move the screen around). - im not quite getting what you mean by this please explain.

Method of controlling currently enabled actors within the level (for efficiency). - kinda do this i turn off tiles or objects that are just for looks and do nothing.

More to come. - surely!
"Taking a breath of fresh air."
AliceXIII

Score: 37 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:04 pm

Are there any art resources you would need, or would be helpful, in making the editor? I'm sure someone working on the game could help with at least some of the temporary graphics.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby AliceXIII » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:24 pm

as for temporary art assets if someone was to want to i would welcome it but i usually tend to create my own temporary graphics .

anyways sorry for being gone for awhile was going through switching isp's the old ones wasn't work for me.
AliceXIII

Postby GEuser » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:47 pm

AliceXIII wrote: ...but i usually tend to create my own temporary graphics...

I know exactly what you mean but hey, feel free to use any of the stuff I submit. Hope everythings going fine with the Map Editor, would appreciate a update even it not much to show yet. If you need anything don't hesitate to say. Happy coding :)
GEuser

Score: 19 Give a positive score

Postby AliceXIII » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:41 am

Well, all i need to do is add in this struct saving method and i'll have a demo doesn't have loads of features right now my developments been towards the interface and how the mapping will be done because that is well lets face it an important part of a map editor :wink:

Anyways i'll attach to my upper post as to keep it in a simple to find place.
AliceXIII

Postby AliceXIII » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:00 am

To any and all interested in seeing this project take a step forward beyond concept ideas!

Soon when i program in a couple of the wanted features i'll release a stable copy in .ged format for anyone interested in the engine itself or just game mode it for a demo :)
AliceXIII

Postby Jagmaster » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:32 pm

AliceXIII wrote:Soon when i program in a couple of the wanted features i'll release a stable copy in .ged format for anyone interested in the engine itself or just game mode it for a demo :)

Roger that. I'll be waiting. :)
Jagmaster

Score: 82 Give a positive score

Postby AliceXIII » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:36 am

I recently put together these demo's so you can check the parallax scrolling out.

Linux:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zd83opok47mgf ... itor_linux

Windows:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/llbgbl3qz6s43 ... or_win.exe

left and right key's move the "player" the pacman actor and the parallax layers.

As for mapping right now since saving and loading is broke i would not use the save and load buttons they'll just crash it, you can however still build the platforming layer(up to 100 actor's) the debug actor corresponds to the y axis of the "pathing actor" the red and black square that moves in 32X32 increments, the y cap for the platforming layer is set at 192 right now giving you 6 32X32 tiles stacked on top of each other.

You can use the debug actor to know where your at if needed, the tile that's misplaced by the tree by itself if you left/right click on it it will cycle through set images to determine the animpos of your current tile, left clicking the "pathing actor" will lay your tile where the "pathing actor" is.

I've only recently added the player into the map editor seeing as the idea was to integrate the two i'll need to split it into two different states right now he's basic you can left click and hold it to apply yvelocity until he collides with the platform but that's it.
AliceXIII

Return to Forum Projects