Fire Maker

How to find or create sprites, graphics, sounds and music.

Fire Maker

Postby FeralX » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:33 am

Guys

I am fooling around with creating a Fire Animation tool as one of the effects for my sprite editor, I know there is already a couple of applications out there that do this already, but I thought I would have a go.

Attached are some of the early attempts of generating fire..

Please give me your opinions, if you will, or if you have samples of good fires, and if you would like to email a copy of them to me them for me to use as comparisons to my efforts, that would be nice (or if you have requests for certains types of fires..)

if I get this working well. you will be able to create fires of any size, color, or shape :)

note: as of yet, they do not "loop" but they will.. this is just some early work to get some feedback
Also note they will have transparent backgrounds although some of the samples below do not.

Cheers
FeralX
[EDIT] They run best at around 20 to 25 frames a second... I should be able to make it create fires that look good at lower FPS as well
fire.gif
fire.gif (45.01 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
Attachments
FLAMETRANSP2.png
FLAMETRANSP2.png (18.58 KiB) Viewed 3334 times
FIREBLACKBACKGROUND.jpg
FIRETRANSP1.png
fireNsparks.png
fireNsparks.png (27.88 KiB) Viewed 3334 times
FIREFX1.png
FeralX

Score: 6 Give a positive score

Re: Fire Maker

Postby Kalladdolf » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:40 pm

They look pretty gorgeous!
I guess pure pixel particles won't do at higher resolutions?
Kalladdolf

Score: 120 Give a positive score

Postby Game A Gogo » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:01 pm

They look almost realistic at 64fps! 20-25 fps is unrealistic in my taste ;P
seems normal fire usually flickers quickly, even more if there's wind.

My mind wants to go into theories into how fire works.. which is the oxygen burning. Which essentially means that the oxygen is heated enough for it to emit light, and with heat means the particles are vibrating quite a lot! which would mean they are colliding with each other often too, making them flicker and all. Why does fire rises? I can only assume it's the pressure of the surrounding air, think of bubbles in water. So it's essentially gravity that makes fire flicker and rise. If there would be no gravity it'd be a blue ball.

Of course taking in those calculation could be CPU unfriendly so I can say your fire is quite pretty! :) I can't wait to see more of it and play with it! perhaps have it so you can change it's direction too?
Programming games is an art,
    Respect it.
Game A Gogo

Score: 181 Give a positive score

Postby Azou » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:11 pm

You can use Particle Illusion, it's a good software for SFX-making :D
Azou

Score: 35 Give a positive score

Postby lcl » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:59 am

Nice work Feral!
I will test them as soon as I get to
my computer which has GE on it, then I
will tell what I think of them.
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby FeralX » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:43 am

Thanks for the feedback so far guys

keep bringing it :)

and yes to someone who talked about particle engines, this one is based on an "Old Skool" algorithm I found on the internet, and have since been tweaking..

I also plan to make a "particle based" fire maker as well for "larger then pixels" fires

Oh, and I am now working on a Light Saber addon which will allow you add "Light Sabers" to any pic :D

early work yet...but you will simply be able to click at the base and drag your mouse to the locatioan you want the tip to be .. :shock: and it will do it for you

hopefully ready next weekend

Again if anyone has some good fire animations and or light saber animations, or any other effects from other games they would like me have a go at , feel free to email a sprite sheet or screen shot etc so I can compare and get these right.

email me at feralx at ymail.com

[EDIT] the image below is not mine, simply one i found on the internet, my apologies to the original auther, it was simply a way to show how easy it would be to add 'light sabers" into an already created sprite.

cheers
Feral

let me know what you want..
saber2.png
saber2.png (3.29 KiB) Viewed 3293 times

saber3.png
saber3.png (6.67 KiB) Viewed 3293 times
saber4.png
saber4.png (8.47 KiB) Viewed 3293 times
FeralX

Postby FeralX » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:39 am

Btw in case you are all wondering...

I originally was planning on making "fire swords" and fire type weapons, but got side tracked... :(

Light Sabers will be cool , but they are covered by all sorts of copyrights, and all sorts of things.. just so you know.. :(
FeralX

Postby lcl » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:28 am

Tested them now, very nice!
Good work!
FeralX wrote:and yes to someone who talked about particle engines, this one is based on an "Old Skool" algorithm I found on the internet, and have since been tweaking..

Can you post link to that algorithm, I'd like to see it :D
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby Game A Gogo » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:47 pm

FeralX wrote:Light Sabers will be cool , but they are covered by all sorts of copyrights, and all sorts of things.. just so you know.. :(

Light Sabers? what are you talking about! These are plasma energy beam swords! Or even shortened super laser swords! ;)
Programming games is an art,
    Respect it.
Game A Gogo

Score: 181 Give a positive score

Postby FeralX » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:49 pm

lcl wrote:Tested them now, very nice!
Good work!
FeralX wrote:and yes to someone who talked about particle engines, this one is based on an "Old Skool" algorithm I found on the internet, and have since been tweaking..

Can you post link to that algorithm, I'd like to see it :D

see http://www.mobydisk.com/softdev/techinf ... index.html at the end of the post
all of the fire code in is Window1.xaml.cs

I have seen versions of it elsewhere, but usually in C++ this is the only copy so far I have found in C#, but then it is not hard to port between the two.

Secondly I am glad you asked becuase it just occurred to me that this algorithm could also drive "paritcles" ie: larger then a pixel per, I will give that a go asap.

It is not very computationalyl intense so you "could" use it live in games, tho, I still prefer prerending things like fires etc to allow more CPU time for the game..

if you play with it and get better fires then me, please share :)
feral
Last edited by FeralX on Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
FeralX

Postby SuperSonic » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:48 am

This sounds amazing! :D

When will you release it? :P
A tree never hits an automobile except in self-defence.

Want to use your joystick or controller with Game Editor? Check out my controller engine =D
SuperSonic

Score: 72 Give a positive score

Postby FeralX » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:20 am

SuperSonic wrote:This sounds amazing! :D

LOL what the light saber...ooops i mean light sword or fire swords/weapons, or do you mean the "fire maker" ?

I hope them have both in about a couple of weeks

Feral
FeralX

Postby SuperSonic » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:00 pm

FeralX wrote:I hope them have both in about a couple of weeks

Ok, that's what I wanted to know. Thanks :D

Want to use your joystick or controller with Game Editor? Check out my controller engine =D
SuperSonic

Postby FeralX » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:31 am

FeralX wrote:
SuperSonic wrote:This sounds amazing! :D

LOL what the light saber...ooops i mean light sword or fire swords/weapons, or do you mean the "fire maker" ?

I hope them have both in about a couple of weeks

Feral

Guys

actually I am sorry , but i probably won't get to release any of this till about XMAS

Sorry, but the last month has been really hectic as I have been preparing for an unforeseen trip to the USA for a work project , and I will be over there until the end of november on a the project.. I don't think I will have much spare time until I get back.. sorry to dissapoint.

However, if it is any consolation, while I was researching on how to do lightsabers, I found quite a few examples of "Force Lightning" - which can also be used for actual lightning and other electrical type effects ... I hope to now add a "lightning FX generator" to the editor as well..... now that I know how to do them.. (Look for "midpoint displacement" on google.... you yourself could probably even do them "live" in Game Editor :shock: )

Atttached are some early efforts in case you don't know what i mean..

I will be in contact as regularly as I can, sorry about the wait.
Feral

ff5.png

ff4.png
FeralX

Postby SuperSonic » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:58 pm

Wow, that's cool. haha, this will be my Christmas present :lol:

SuperSonic

Next

Return to Game Resources