Octopus Game (Working Title) 2nd version

Post here your demos and examples with the source files.
Forum rules
Always post the games with a screenshot.
The file must have the ged and data files (complete game source)
Use the forum attachment to post the files.
It is always better to use the first post to put the game files

Re: Octopus Game (Working Title) 2nd version

Postby Zivouhr » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:19 pm

Turon wrote:The Main problem I have at the moment is that my current gameplay design has some complex physics. And my character has quite a few different animations that all have to display at the right moment
(far cry from a older game of mine "Super Ostrich" I recommend it to anyone that wants to laugh :wink: ).
Also a real programmer has insisted on helping me & has completely altered my code so I'll have to learn how it works! :lol:

Nice to hear it's moving forward. I agree, getting variables to work at just the right moment is like untangling a giant spider-web. No easy task as when one thing happens, it often affects something else. The Octopus swims, walks on the water and jumps but can also punch, so there's a lot to it and while it sounds simple, it's a challenge at times.

Super Ostrich, I'll have to check it out, thanks.

I did learn if using keydown events, that to change the animation when a button is pressed, sometimes using Forward for the animation direction can help, while other times depending on the scripting, Repeat ON can override other keydown animations and play the new animation, compared to having repeat off in the key down event, say Arrow Down for example.
City of Rott Game created on Game Editor http://cityofrott.wordpress.com/
Zivouhr

Score: 59 Give a positive score

Postby Turon » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:20 am

I'm currently it a little stand still with the project. remember when I said that the current version of the game had some complex physics? well maybe I should show you the current demo. It has the airtank with sucking and blowing fuctions though I haven't enabled one to suck onto the wall yet or use it as an attack, the visuals used weren't final. perhaps the original gameplay was better, though even if I had keeped the original gameplay it had many bugs and kinks also the code was quite messy.
Attachments
Octopus Game (New).zip
(539.07 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
Turon

Score: 32 Give a positive score

Postby DeltaLeeds » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:29 am

This is a cute little game, but since it is incomplete, there are a lot of bugs in the game so far like you said. Still, this has great potential, now for the review...
Pros:
  • Nice graphics. The enemies, terrain and player are nice.
  • Smooth water controls.
  • Nice sound effects.
Cons:
  • Enemies do way too much damage, put a cooldown for the player like the player flashes or stays partially invisible for half a second after getting hit.
  • Guessed which buttons were for jump (x) and attack (z), and the climbing (up) wasn't obvious at all. Give some instructions at the beginning at least.
  • I like your sound effects as I stated above, but they are waaay too loud and holding x triggers the jump sound effect... Put repeat off and reduce the volume.
  • No swimming sound effect.
  • Increase the cooldown for the plane part, and the planes don't crash at the ground, they crash above the ground which is obviously the work of magic, haha.
  • Pressing X underwater changes the player's animation and triggers the jump sound effect.
  • Make the player's attacks cool down, holding z could annihilate anything in your path. Add a ranged attack if you could too like ink or bubbles.

Very nice job Turon, I'm sorry I didn't notice the game earlier...

Now whether the new or old one was better, I prefer the new game's movement and sprites more, but I suggest making a smoother movement, like the player accelerating instead of going on a constant speed...

Hope this helped. Good luck for this game. ;)
Currently: Semi-Active.
Working on: Maybe putting my test games in gamejolt, polishing them a bit, but I still don't know when.
DeltaLeeds

Score: 38 Give a positive score

Postby Turon » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:44 pm

Thank's for the reply. You prefer the new movements? You didn't think the whole suck blow thing was a little clunky? especially how the new version handles vertical movement. Should I try recreating the original gameplay with a new engine with bug fixes. Or are there aspects of the new version that should be kept? Or is the new gameplay overall better?
Turon

Postby DeltaLeeds » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:47 am

Turon wrote:Thank's for the reply. You prefer the new movements? You didn't think the whole suck blow thing was a little clunky? especially how the new version handles vertical movement. Should I try recreating the original gameplay with a new engine with bug fixes. Or are there aspects of the new version that should be kept? Or is the new gameplay overall better?

I was just talking about the horizontal movement, I don't even know how the vertical movement works so far and I don't know how the suck blow thing works either... Well from how it stands now, I prefer you recreating the original gameplay in the new engine with bug fixes.
Working on: Maybe putting my test games in gamejolt, polishing them a bit, but I still don't know when.
DeltaLeeds

Postby Turon » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:57 am

jonathang wrote:
Turon wrote:Thank's for the reply. You prefer the new movements? You didn't think the whole suck blow thing was a little clunky? especially how the new version handles vertical movement. Should I try recreating the original gameplay with a new engine with bug fixes. Or are there aspects of the new version that should be kept? Or is the new gameplay overall better?

I was just talking about the horizontal movement, I don't even know how the vertical movement works so far and I don't know how the suck blow thing works either... Well from how it stands now, I prefer you recreating the original gameplay in the new engine with bug fixes.
maybe try playing with the vertical mechanics a little, you press z to suck and x to blow and you hold down on arrow keys to direct the flow. maybe I should have explained the controls earlier.
Turon

Postby DeltaLeeds » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:49 am

Turon wrote:
jonathang wrote:

maybe try playing with the vertical mechanics a little, you press z to suck and x to blow and you hold down on arrow keys to direct the flow. maybe I should have explained the controls earlier.

Aaah now I get it, it's sort of a little jump... It might work well, good idea. It is a bit hard to use, but it's pretty good so far. Maybe you can use the blow to blow enemies away with little particles going out to push the enemy away...
DeltaLeeds

Postby Turon » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:29 am

like it's predecessor I would also allow for you to suck onto walls and climb up. And as for attacking enemies, you would have been able to suck them almost like kirby except that instead of having them eaten like with kirby they'd be stuck to the sucker, and then depending on how much air was left in your airtank you'd be able to blow them out like a projectile killing the enemy and other enemies you might hit. As you may imagine these are some complex physics how could I possibly do this? yeah...
Turon

Postby Zivouhr » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:49 pm

Turon wrote:I'm currently it a little stand still with the project. remember when I said that the current version of the game had some complex physics? well maybe I should show you the current demo. It has the airtank with sucking and blowing fuctions though I haven't enabled one to suck onto the wall yet or use it as an attack, the visuals used weren't final. perhaps the original gameplay was better, though even if I had keeped the original gameplay it had many bugs and kinks also the code was quite messy.

I'll check out the update, and good to hear you added some new functions to the Octopus. 8)
City of Rott Game created on Game Editor http://cityofrott.wordpress.com/
Zivouhr

Score: 59 Give a positive score

Postby Turon » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:14 pm

Zivouhr wrote:I'll check out the update, and good to hear you added some new functions to the Octopus. 8)

New functionality may have to wait. My current plan is to replicate the gameplay of the 2013 prototype with a few improvements in a new engine. And build a sequel out of the later demo. I think that resolution may be more realistic. I do hope to use the new gameplay eventually though.
Turon

Previous

Return to Game Demos