AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!

Game Editor comments and discussion.

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!

Postby knucklecrunchgames » Mon May 19, 2014 5:21 pm

Hello everyone, a massive problem. GE keeps crashing on me and I can't load my files, this has happened twice and it happens when I put in lots of work.

Can you guys see what the problem is?

CarEscapeCrash.zip
(4.49 MiB) Downloaded 125 times

Thankyou so so so so much if you can solve this problem.
knucklecrunchgames

Score: 17 Give a positive score

Re: AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!

Postby lcl » Mon May 19, 2014 5:55 pm

As the ged won't even open up without crashing, you'll have to use the undo file to access an earlier version of the game.
Just open the yourprojectfilename.ged.undo in Game Editor and it creates you a list of different states of the ged, numbered so, that, if I recall correctly, the smaller the version number, the newer the version. Then just search for a working version and avoid doing whatever mistake it was that caused the crashes in the first place.
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Postby knucklecrunchgames » Mon May 19, 2014 6:17 pm

lcl wrote:As the ged won't even open up without crashing, you'll have to use the undo file to access an earlier version of the game.
Just open the yourprojectfilename.ged.undo in Game Editor and it creates you a list of different states of the ged, numbered so, that, if I recall correctly, the smaller the version number, the newer the version. Then just search for a working version and avoid doing whatever mistake it was that caused the crashes in the first place.

I pressed the undo and nothing happens. I put days and days and days of work into this. I should use another game creator if this is gonna keep happening.
knucklecrunchgames

Postby lcl » Mon May 19, 2014 6:35 pm

knucklecrunchgames wrote:I pressed the undo and nothing happens. I put days and days and days of work into this. I should use another game creator if this is gonna keep happening.

I didn't tell you to press undo. Please read my instructions again, and this time more carefully. Also yes, Game Editor can be a little unstable at times, but if your game project is unstable, in most cases it's not a sign of Game Editor not working correctly, it's a sign of that that something you've done, is seriously wrong. Trust me, Game Editor has crashed on me hundreds of times, but only like 3% of them I haven't been able to find a reason for from my code. In most cases it has been something I've done wrong.
lcl

Postby knucklecrunchgames » Mon May 19, 2014 6:51 pm

lcl wrote:
knucklecrunchgames wrote:I pressed the undo and nothing happens. I put days and days and days of work into this. I should use another game creator if this is gonna keep happening.

I didn't tell you to press undo. Please read my instructions again, and this time more carefully. Also yes, Game Editor can be a little unstable at times, but if your game project is unstable, in most cases it's not a sign of Game Editor not working correctly, it's a sign of that that something you've done, is seriously wrong. Trust me, Game Editor has crashed on me hundreds of times, but only like 3% of them I haven't been able to find a reason for from my code. In most cases it has been something I've done wrong.

GameEditor won't load the undo, or at least the new one I'm using. Do I drag the undo file onto the gameEditor.exe?
knucklecrunchgames

Postby lcl » Mon May 19, 2014 6:55 pm

knucklecrunchgames wrote:GameEditor won't load the undo, or at least the new one I'm using. Do I drag the undo file onto the gameEditor.exe?

Which version of Game Editor you are using? You can see the version from by clicking [Help] on the top bar in Game Editor and then selecting "About...".
I also tried to open the undo file that came with the version you uploaded, but that didn't do anything. Try using the original project's undo file instead.
If it doesn't work by drag & drop, you can always try right click and "Open using..." and then selecting Game Editor from there.
lcl

Postby knucklecrunchgames » Mon May 19, 2014 6:59 pm

lcl wrote:
knucklecrunchgames wrote:GameEditor won't load the undo, or at least the new one I'm using. Do I drag the undo file onto the gameEditor.exe?

Which version of Game Editor you are using? You can see the version from by clicking [Help] on the top bar in Game Editor and then selecting "About...".
I also tried to open the undo file that came with the version you uploaded, but that didn't do anything. Try using the original project's undo file instead.
If it doesn't work by drag & drop, you can always try right click and "Open using..." and then selecting Game Editor from there.

Yep I've done all that, that was the original version. I'm using gameEditor1.4.1b.

Well, I guess it's broken.
knucklecrunchgames

Postby lcl » Mon May 19, 2014 7:13 pm

knucklecrunchgames wrote:Yep I've done all that, that was the original version. I'm using gameEditor1.4.1b.

It might have something to do with the fact that you're using 1.4.1b. That version is just a beta, and it might have some problems with the .ged.undo files, but this is just me guessing the reasons.
Well, if you want, you can put the whole project folder into a zip and send it to me and I can have a look at it and see if I can get it fixed. The reason why I need the actual project folder is that there might be something missing from the example file you sent.
lcl

Postby knucklecrunchgames » Mon May 19, 2014 7:18 pm

lcl wrote:
knucklecrunchgames wrote:Yep I've done all that, that was the original version. I'm using gameEditor1.4.1b.

It might have something to do with the fact that you're using 1.4.1b. That version is just a beta, and it might have some problems with the .ged.undo files, but this is just me guessing the reasons.
Well, if you want, you can put the whole project folder into a zip and send it to me and I can have a look at it and see if I can get it fixed. The reason why I need the actual project folder is that there might be something missing from the example file you sent.

That was everthing in the folder, but I did find this. Two images were not loading properly and I fixed them, (this happened in my last game (knuckle crunch flyerz)) but the game still crashes. If you look in the data folder, you will see that two images aren't coming up on the preview.
knucklecrunchgames

Return to GE - General