Filled Region controlling normal actor help needed!

Non-platform specific questions.

Re: Filled Region controlling normal actor help needed!

Postby kickstart » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:06 pm

skydereign wrote:So is the problem that the animation never changes? Or is it that the animation changes, but is changed back to something else immediately? They may look the same at first, but you can find out by disabling all events for your player/button actors using EventDisable. That way nothing should be able to change Jumper's animation. If it is the correct animation after the mouse button down, then you know it is something else changing the animation afterwards. If it didn't change, that just means some of your variables used in the switch statements aren't the values you think they should be.

I pasted the exact same code into the filled region>Mouse Button Down>Script Editor that is also currently in the Jumper>Key Down, and Jumper>Key Up.

Can i not do this? Is that the wrong location to put it in the filled region?

By the way, The animation just looks lie its jittering whil running.
kickstart

Score: 6 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:13 pm

JetpackGrizzly wrote:I pasted the exact same code into the filled region>Mouse Button Down>Script Editor that is also currently in the Jumper>Key Down, and Jumper>Key Up.

Normally you shouldn't be able to do that, but it seems you wrote your keydown events without using "Event Actor", so it didn't impact it too much. But in this case that isn't important, because you don't want the filled region to specify event actor. Are currenttexture and state actor variables? If they are, then copy/paste won't work, because they will now reference the filled region's variables. To fix that change them to Jumper.state for instance.

JetpackGrizzly wrote:By the way, The animation just looks lie its jittering whil running.

You mean the correct animation is running, but it is jittery? That sounds like you have some repeating event changing the animation to run, with the direction FORWARD.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby kickstart » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:16 pm

skydereign wrote:
JetpackGrizzly wrote:I pasted the exact same code into the filled region>Mouse Button Down>Script Editor that is also currently in the Jumper>Key Down, and Jumper>Key Up.

Normally you shouldn't be able to do that, but it seems you wrote your keydown events without using "Event Actor", so it didn't impact it too much. But in this case that isn't important, because you don't want the filled region to specify event actor. Are currenttexture and state actor variables? If they are, then copy/paste won't work, because they will now reference the filled region's variables. To fix that change them to Jumper.state for instance.

JetpackGrizzly wrote:By the way, The animation just looks lie its jittering whil running.

You mean the correct animation is running, but it is jittery? That sounds like you have some repeating event changing the animation to run, with the direction FORWARD.

No, it no matter what shows it running even when I signal it to fly, but looks awkward. (It is not running right.)
Although that's ONLY if I use the (touch) filled region.
kickstart

Postby kickstart » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:23 pm

My bad, the running seems to look exactly how it should, however the flying never shows.
kickstart

Postby skydereign » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:29 pm

JetpackGrizzly wrote:My bad, the running seems to look exactly how it should, however the flying never shows.

skydereign wrote:If it didn't change, that just means some of your variables used in the switch statements aren't the values you think they should be.

skydereign wrote:Are currenttexture and state actor variables? If they are, then copy/paste won't work, because they will now reference the filled region's variables. To fix that change them to Jumper.state for instance.

If that isn't the problem, and your variables are correct, then I would need to see the game to be able to fix it.
skydereign

Postby kickstart » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:32 pm

Should I just upoad the file publically? Should I do it as a .ged? If so, should I post my data folder too?
Attachments
Jetpack.ged
(46.15 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
kickstart

Postby skydereign » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:55 pm

I'll need the data as well, especially because this is an animation problem. You can though upload it to some file hosting site and send me the link via pm if you don't want others to see your game yet.
skydereign

Postby kickstart » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:05 pm

I'll just post it now, ill edit it later to take it off so it isn't up for too long.
Attachments
Data - Copy.zip
(107.15 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
kickstart

Postby skydereign » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:14 pm

You are setting the wrong animations with the first set of ChangeAnimation calls. Flip the flyingg with the charRight and it will work.
skydereign

Postby kickstart » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:23 pm

skydereign wrote:You are setting the wrong animations with the first set of ChangeAnimation calls. Flip the flyingg with the charRight and it will work.

Isn't that a screw up? :lol:

Sorry for putting you through all that trouble for such a small mistake that I shuld've noticed.
:roll:

Thank you very much for the help, however. Soon my game will be fully ready for iPhone and iPod Touch development.
kickstart

Previous

Return to General