Martian Madness (RELEASED in another thread)

Talk about making games.

Martian Madness (RELEASED in another thread)

Postby jonathang » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:01 am

About the game:
This might be the last game I'll finish before starting college by 12th of August. This game will be much more original than my other games, as MrJolteon once told me that I pirated images and sounds too much which is true. Almost nothing of Cadet #0051, and my first game, Dimension Escape was not pirated, only the enemy scripts maybe! :oops:

This time I'm not taking any sprite nor sounds from the internet, I'm making them myself. I'm using Pulse Boy for making sfx, and Paint.NET for the sprites, so none of the sprites nor sfx are taken from the internet.

Goal of the game:
Survive as long as possible (Or in this upload it's until you can defeat the third boss.), defeat bosses to advance, avoid getting hit by a hella lot of bullets. Arrow keys to move, ASDW to aim.

The game will be uploaded as an attachment, as it is still small enough to be uploaded. I've only finished 3 of 5 levels for the game and I want to know how good the game is so far.

Planned features:
(̵C̵̵r̵̵o̵̵s̵̵s̵̵e̵d̵ means done, but it may not be the exact same update as what I originally wrote to be planned features!)
I'll release the next .ged when I finish making the game!
  • ̵Y̵̵o̵̵u̵̵r̵̵ ̵̵h̵̵e̵̵a̵̵l̵̵t̵̵h̵̵ ̵̵a̵̵d̵̵d̵̵s̵̵ ̵̵b̵̵y̵̵ ̵̵1̵̵ ̵̵w̵̵h̵̵e̵̵n̵̵ ̵̵y̵̵o̵̵u̵̵ ̵̵d̵̵e̵̵f̵̵e̵̵a̵̵t̵̵ ̵̵n̵̵o̵̵r̵̵m̵̵a̵̵l̵̵ ̵̵e̵̵n̵̵e̵̵m̵̵i̵̵e̵̵s̵.̵
  • ̵H̵̵e̵̵a̵̵l̵̵t̵̵h̵̵ ̵̵B̵̵a̵̵r̵̵!̵̵ ̵̵:̵D̵
  • ̵4̵̵ ̵̵m̵̵o̵̵r̵̵e̵̵ ̵̵e̵̵n̵̵e̵̵m̵̵i̵̵e̵̵s̵̵ ̵̵a̵̵n̵̵d̵̵ ̵̵b̵̵o̵̵s̵̵s̵̵e̵̵s̵.̵
  • ̵L̵̵e̵̵v̵̵e̵̵l̵̵ ̵̵5̵̵ ̵̵w̵̵i̵̵l̵̵l̵̵ ̵̵b̵̵e̵̵ ̵̵e̵̵n̵̵d̵̵l̵̵e̵̵s̵̵s̵.̵
  • ̵P̵̵a̵̵u̵̵s̵̵e̵̵ ̵̵d̵̵i̵m
  • ̵H̵̵i̵̵g̵̵h̵̵ ̵̵S̵̵c̵̵o̵̵r̵̵e̵̵s̵̵ ̵̵w̵̵i̵̵l̵̵l̵̵ ̵̵b̵̵e̵̵ ̵̵m̵̵a̵̵d̵̵e̵.
  • ̵A̵̵ ̵̵d̵̵e̵̵v̵̵a̵̵s̵̵t̵̵a̵̵t̵̵i̵̵n̵̵g̵̵ ̵̵p̵̵o̵̵w̵̵e̵̵r̵̵ ̵̵u̵̵p̵.̵
  • ̵S̵̵p̵̵a̵̵c̵̵e̵̵ ̵̵t̵̵h̵̵e̵̵m̵̵e̵̵d̵̵ ̵̵b̵̵a̵̵c̵̵k̵̵g̵̵r̵̵o̵̵u̵̵n̵̵d̵.̵
  • ̵A̵̵ ̵̵s̵̵i̵̵m̵̵p̵̵l̵̵e̵̵ ̵̵g̵̵a̵̵m̵̵e̵̵ ̵̵m̵̵e̵̵n̵̵u̵̵,̵̵ ̵̵c̵̵o̵̵n̵̵s̵̵i̵̵s̵̵t̵̵i̵̵n̵̵g̵̵ ̵̵o̵̵n̵̵l̵̵y̵̵ ̵̵o̵̵f̵̵ ̵̵S̵̵t̵̵a̵̵r̵̵t̵̵ ̵̵a̵̵n̵̵d̵̵ ̵̵C̵̵r̵̵e̵̵d̵̵i̵̵t̵̵s̵.̵
  • ̵B̵̵a̵̵c̵̵k̵̵g̵̵r̵̵o̵̵u̵̵n̵̵d̵̵ ̵̵n̵̵o̵̵i̵̵s̵̵e̵̵s̵.̵



What is already done:
.exe update 1!
  • Your health doesn't always add by 1, it depends on level, and bosses may give you more health upon defeat!
bat78 wrote:(passing the ugly boss)

  • The first boss is A LOT HARDER and exciting!

.exe update 2!
  • P to pause!
  • Health Bar!
Image

.̵̵e̵̵x̵̵e̵̵ ̵̵u̵̵p̵̵d̵̵a̵̵t̵̵e̵̵ ̵̵3̵̵ ̵̵T̵̵B̵̵A̵̵ ̵̵(̵̵N̵̵o̵̵t̵̵ ̵̵u̵̵p̵̵l̵̵o̵̵a̵̵d̵̵e̵̵d̵̵ ̵̵y̵̵e̵̵t̵̵,̵̵ ̵̵s̵̵t̵̵i̵̵l̵̵l̵̵ ̵̵b̵̵u̵̵g̵̵g̵̵y̵̵!̵̵)̵̵
Game's release spoilers:
  • Pausing now creates a dim background, that only doesn't dim the player, thus if you are lost and you pause, you can easily find the player!
  • Hi Scores!
  • More enemies and bosses, might be final though.
  • The ship is now MUCH more agile!!! Usually it takes you a few seconds to move up when you going down in high speed, now it takes 5x less! Much easier movement! :D
  • Despite the easier movement, the difficulty is greatly, and I mean GREATLY increased!
  • The menu is done, and the game doesn't start instantly.
  • Enter, the FLASHBANG!
    Image
  • Peril background, flashbang regen and peril theme! (Background turns red, music changes, flashbang fills up faster when you are low in health!)
  • Credits!!!
  • A secret boss fight. Can be fought for a better weapon in your next game.

Known Bugs
  • Ship disappearing by itself. Happens a lot when we use the flashbang power up, or just plains disappears when attacked too much!

P.S: The best score system won't work yet as I have only made 3/5 levels for the game, so it's not fair to have a high score when playing an unfinished game.
P.S.S: I will hopefully finish making this game before 12th of August, but if I don't by then, I doubt I'd ever finish it. :oops:
P.S.S.S: EDITS ARE ONLY FOR UPDATING INFORMATION ABOUT THE GAME'S PROCESS! (And adding some P.Ses too.)
Screenshot.png
First screenshot of the first released version of the game!
Last edited by jonathang on Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:45 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Currently: Semi-Active.
Working on: Maybe putting my test games in gamejolt, polishing them a bit, but I still don't know when.
User avatar
jonathang
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: In front of my computer.
Score: 37 Give a positive score

Re: Martian Madness

Postby bat78 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:47 pm

Jolteon is almost non-stop right Jon :lol:
He knows how to stay unbiased even though sometimes he makes exceptions.

If you want to create powerful SFX with Xtreme quality, I suggest you to use NI Massive and Audacity.
These two tools are pretty easy to get used to. If you want to advance in SFX/BGM creation then you will need another couple: Massive And FL Studio.

Jolteon prefers paint .NET yes. That doesn't mean it is better in any important aspect (simplicity, power, performance, flexibility, aptness etc) than
GIMP. Animation with GIMP is EASY. GIMP has tons of plug-ins and working with it is a playgame. I am not suggesting you to use GIMP instead of course,
I am just interjecting that people are often hasty in their decision and miss to give GIMP a chance and not everything is supposed to be as it is seen. :o

Overall, it is wonderful that you are decided to limit yourself in the creations of yours.

I will see what you have for now and update this post.

I UPDATE

Jon I actually like this ! Personally, I do.
Because it is a lot like Omega Race!
This kind of games require one additional skill - move prediction, means you need to use your brain calculator along your reflex.
And yes, I like the navi for that matter.
(You can download Omega Race 2009 (Neon Edition) from here)

Never mind my suggestions for musical engines. Evident in everything, this game is retro.
As such, the SFX you've integrated are great. If I close my fucking eyes and leave my instincts to play instead,
I can listen to some good dubstep. And it makes me want to remix it. Remix the game !
Why don't you put some hardcore psychedelic mind-minding dubstep as a BGM and synchronize the gameplay with it.
Seriously this might turn into a favorite game.

Awkward to mention, but... does it make me different somehow if I prefer to play without moving vertically?
Something like Space Invaders but not exactly.

I played it only for a split minute, which is enough for me to give you feedback(s) (not rate or review).
That said, I have a small criticism point. It is nearly impossible for games that require a lot of attention (just like I said - move prediction + reflex) to occupy player's attention on the HP text number. The HealthMeter bar is not designed to be just fancy, but it is easier for player to recognize with a peripheral vision.
And so then.. if your game isn't meant for only Cyborgs and Expertz.. ..
Last edited by bat78 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Future of "Project Game-Editor Revival" here
User avatar
bat78
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:13 pm
Location: Bulgaria, Sofia
Score: 83 Give a positive score

Re: Martian Madness

Postby bat78 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:28 pm

OH I FORGOT TO MENTION SOMETHING ELSE

Obviously, I am too good in this gAme since for that split minute I managed to reach level minxy 2 (passing the ugly boss) and killing them scrappy enemies and that without a single cut..
I want to tell you that when I kill enemy looser and the -1 falls.. I am guess what.. TRYING TO AVOID IT??
Seriously buddy, it looks like an attack and it definitely tries to make me regret I killed it.
It is like the bee lol, Once you get stung, when it dies, it leaves its spike. Or it leaves its spike then dies idk e.e
Future of "Project Game-Editor Revival" here
User avatar
bat78
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:13 pm
Location: Bulgaria, Sofia
Score: 83 Give a positive score

Re: Martian Madness

Postby jonathang » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:55 pm

bat78 wrote:Jolteon is almost non-stop right Jon :lol:
He knows how to stay unbiased even though sometimes he makes exceptions.

Yep! That's the Jolt I know, and this is why I'm making the game, he's right. Image

bat78 wrote:If you want to advance in SFX/BGM creation then you will need another couple: Massive And FL Studio.

I tried FL Studio, but I regret decisions I make in my life. I ignored music, so I can't make any, I tried believe me, but making music is almost impossible for me. It took an hour for me to make a 5 second decent track once. :oops:

bat78 wrote:Jolteon prefers paint .NET yes. That doesn't mean it is better in any important aspect (simplicity, power, performance, flexibility, aptness etc) than
GIMP. Animation with GIMP is EASY. GIMP has tons of plug-ins and working with it is a playgame. I am not suggesting you to use GIMP instead of course,
I am just interjecting that people are often hasty in their decision and miss to give GIMP a chance and not everything is supposed to be as it is seen. :o

I'll try it sometime, considering that it sounds awesome, but for games like these, I need pixel art, and for me. Paint.NET is pretty much made for that. Even if GIMP were easier in pixel art, I'd have to get used to it and halt my game's progress, but of course I'll try it out for other stuff if I have the time. ;)

bat78 wrote:Jon I actually like this ! Personally, I do.
Because it is a lot like Omega Race!
This kind of games require one additional skill - move prediction, means you need to use your brain calculator along your reflex.
And yes, I like the navi for that matter.
(You can download Omega Race 2009 (Neon Edition) from here)


Thanks for the compliment Bat! I'm very glad you like it!!! Image
I'll try Omega Race in case it could give me more ideas, and yes this game really needs skill, both vertically and horizontally, which is why
bat78 wrote:Awkward to mention, but... does it make me different somehow if I prefer to play without moving vertically?
Something like Space Invaders but not exactly.


This won't happen. I considered doing a space invaders type of game, but not only is it too unoriginal, it also feels too limited imo. I've made 2 new enemies after posting this post. SPOILERS:They use laser beams and can attack vertically and horizontally, which is why we should play vertically as well.

bat78 wrote:That said, I have a small criticism point. It is nearly impossible for games that require a lot of attention (just like I said - move prediction + reflex) to occupy player's attention on the HP bar.

I forgot to add that to the planned features! :lol:
I wanted to add that last night, but yeah, sleep is on the way as usual, what a threat. xP
I'll definitely add that to the planned features right away, because even I myself rarely check the health, and when I do, I take tons of damage.

+1 for this feedback bat, it's extremely useful and detailed! Thanks for trying my games, and giving suggestions as well! Image
Currently: Semi-Active.
Working on: Maybe putting my test games in gamejolt, polishing them a bit, but I still don't know when.
User avatar
jonathang
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: In front of my computer.
Score: 37 Give a positive score

Re: Martian Madness

Postby jonathang » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:00 pm

bat78 wrote:OH I FORGOT TO MENTION SOMETHING ELSE

Obviously, I am too good in this gAme since for that split minute I managed to reach level minxy 2 (passing the ugly boss) and killing them scrappy enemies and that without a single cut..
I want to tell you that when I kill enemy looser and the -1 falls.. I am guess what.. TRYING TO AVOID IT??
Seriously buddy, it looks like an attack and it definitely tries to make me regret I killed it.
It is like the bee lol, Once you get stung, when it dies, it leaves its spike. Or it leaves its spike then dies idk e.e

Wait, so the bee (Actually intended to be a bat) enemy leaves spikes when it dies? What? Can you show me a screenshot? :o
It doesn't leave spikes in my .exe. I'll check the problem out Bat! ;)

P.S: Level 1 is 100x easier than level 2. In the current version, level 2 is hell, and level 3 is even worse. (I barely passed level 3, and have like 20 health at level 4! XD)
P.S.S: Updated planned features in the first post, and added a screenshot of the new hp draining system! :D
Last edited by jonathang on Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently: Semi-Active.
Working on: Maybe putting my test games in gamejolt, polishing them a bit, but I still don't know when.
User avatar
jonathang
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: In front of my computer.
Score: 37 Give a positive score

Re: Martian Madness

Postby bat78 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:04 pm

jonathang wrote:
bat78 wrote:OH I FORGOT TO MENTION SOMETHING ELSE

Obviously, I am too good in this gAme since for that split minute I managed to reach level minxy 2 (passing the ugly boss) and killing them scrappy enemies and that without a single cut..
I want to tell you that when I kill enemy looser and the -1 falls.. I am guess what.. TRYING TO AVOID IT??
Seriously buddy, it looks like an attack and it definitely tries to make me regret I killed it.
It is like the bee lol, Once you get stung, when it dies, it leaves its spike. Or it leaves its spike then dies idk e.e

Wait, so the bee (Actually intended to be a bat) enemy leaves spikes when it dies? What? Can you show me a screenshot? :o
It doesn't leave spikes in my .exe. I'll check the problem out Bat! ;)

P.S: Level 1 is 100x easier than level 2. In the current version, level 2 is hell, and level 3 is even worse. (I barely passed level 3, and have like 20 health at level 4! XD)


Lol Jon, you did not realize that with the bee was figurative speech ? xD
I thought you knew that the bee in real life dies when gets you stung. And that sting I called spike (because f*ck me) remains in your body and is the reason of the bee's death. Something quite like that.
Future of "Project Game-Editor Revival" here
User avatar
bat78
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:13 pm
Location: Bulgaria, Sofia
Score: 83 Give a positive score

Re: Martian Madness

Postby jonathang » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:08 pm

bat78 wrote:
jonathang wrote:
bat78 wrote:OH I FORGOT TO MENTION SOMETHING ELSE

Obviously, I am too good in this gAme since for that split minute I managed to reach level minxy 2 (passing the ugly boss) and killing them scrappy enemies and that without a single cut..
I want to tell you that when I kill enemy looser and the -1 falls.. I am guess what.. TRYING TO AVOID IT??
Seriously buddy, it looks like an attack and it definitely tries to make me regret I killed it.
It is like the bee lol, Once you get stung, when it dies, it leaves its spike. Or it leaves its spike then dies idk e.e

Wait, so the bee (Actually intended to be a bat) enemy leaves spikes when it dies? What? Can you show me a screenshot? :o
It doesn't leave spikes in my .exe. I'll check the problem out Bat! ;)

P.S: Level 1 is 100x easier than level 2. In the current version, level 2 is hell, and level 3 is even worse. (I barely passed level 3, and have like 20 health at level 4! XD)


Lol Jon, you did not realize that with the bee was figurative speech ? xD
I thought you knew that the bee in real life dies when gets you stung. And that sting I called spike (because f*ck me) remains in your body and is the reason of the bee's death. Something quite like that.


LOL!!! I took your post too seriously there! :lol:
Where was my sense of humour!? :oops: :lol:
Currently: Semi-Active.
Working on: Maybe putting my test games in gamejolt, polishing them a bit, but I still don't know when.
User avatar
jonathang
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: In front of my computer.
Score: 37 Give a positive score

Re: Martian Madness

Postby bat78 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:18 pm

Definitely not where mine was.
Future of "Project Game-Editor Revival" here
User avatar
bat78
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:13 pm
Location: Bulgaria, Sofia
Score: 83 Give a positive score

Re: Martian Madness

Postby jonathang » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:23 pm

bat78 wrote:Definitely not where mine was.

Lol yeah! :lol:
Currently: Semi-Active.
Working on: Maybe putting my test games in gamejolt, polishing them a bit, but I still don't know when.
User avatar
jonathang
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: In front of my computer.
Score: 37 Give a positive score

Re: Martian Madness

Postby MrJolteon » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:37 pm

bat78 wrote:Jolteon prefers paint .NET yes.

actually i'm slowly switching over to photoshop now
Join us on Discord!

Your local Community Janitor
User avatar
MrJolteon
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:25 pm
Location: Page 400 of the interblag
Score: 100 Give a positive score

Re: Martian Madness

Postby bat78 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:54 pm

MrJolteon wrote:
bat78 wrote:Jolteon prefers paint .NET yes.

actually i'm slowly switching over to photoshop now

I meant prefer paint.NET over GIMP.
But yeah, photoshop. A pirated version maybe?

Jon, B in skype.
Future of "Project Game-Editor Revival" here
User avatar
bat78
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:13 pm
Location: Bulgaria, Sofia
Score: 83 Give a positive score

Re: Martian Madness (.exe update 1!)

Postby jonathang » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:02 pm

Updated the .exe Bat, and anyone else interested in trying! The first boss is a lot harder and draining health is now available! ;)
Please give feedback on the first boss now! ;)
Currently: Semi-Active.
Working on: Maybe putting my test games in gamejolt, polishing them a bit, but I still don't know when.
User avatar
jonathang
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: In front of my computer.
Score: 37 Give a positive score

Re: Martian Madness (.exe update 1!)

Postby bat78 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:05 pm

jonathang wrote:Updated the .exe Bat, and anyone else interested in trying! The first boss is a lot harder and draining health is now available! ;)
Please give feedback on the first boss now! ;)

Sorry, but ain't gonna play it until you add the actual health meter bar.
I am not a tester, just playing it to see the quality and the work, so I don't like loosing HP out of the attempt to see how much left I have of it :P
as mentioned in my first post
Future of "Project Game-Editor Revival" here
User avatar
bat78
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:13 pm
Location: Bulgaria, Sofia
Score: 83 Give a positive score

Re: Martian Madness (.exe update 1!)

Postby jonathang » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:06 pm

bat78 wrote:
jonathang wrote:Updated the .exe Bat, and anyone else interested in trying! The first boss is a lot harder and draining health is now available! ;)
Please give feedback on the first boss now! ;)

Sorry, but ain't gonna play it until you add the actual health meter bar.
I am not a tester, just playing it to see the quality and the work, so I don't like loosing HP out of the attempt to see how much left I have of it :P

Alright then. I'll update the health bar soon, or most likely tomorrow, it's getting late. :(
Currently: Semi-Active.
Working on: Maybe putting my test games in gamejolt, polishing them a bit, but I still don't know when.
User avatar
jonathang
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: In front of my computer.
Score: 37 Give a positive score

Re: Martian Madness (.exe update 1!)

Postby bat78 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:07 pm

Oh is it? Okay then. Whenever.
Btw, if you are running on a big trouble, I can solve it / help you to solve it so you wouldn't loose time.

As for the hmb, I suggest you to make it vertical.
Horizontal hmbs are meant for stage games.
Future of "Project Game-Editor Revival" here
User avatar
bat78
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:13 pm
Location: Bulgaria, Sofia
Score: 83 Give a positive score

Next

Return to Game Development

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron