City of Rott Game - On Steam, Feb 14, 2017

Talk about making games.

Re: City of Rott: Street of Rott for PC, Mac, Linux DEMO onl

Postby Zivouhr » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:47 am

Turon wrote:I'm finally gotten to playing City of Rott! I haven't a lot of experience with the genre so I got killed quickly... I'll be playing more in order to make a full assessment. so far it looks like a cool quirky fighting game..


Thanks a lot Turon for checking it out. I appreciate it. 8)
I'm going to try to dedicate enough time to this game before the end of the year to get it completed, though I may have to scale the project back so it can be completed due to a lot of other art related projects on the table.

The Steam thing didn't progress with enough votes yet, but it is still worth a try since you never know until you try and no regrets reaching for a goal, compared to not taking any action as I've learned.

I have to create a few more bosses and try to add more variety to the next couple of levels.
Originally planned with 8 levels, but I'm going to aim to complete it with 5.
City of Rott Game created on Game Editor http://cityofrott.wordpress.com/
User avatar
Zivouhr
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 2:12 pm
Score: 58 Give a positive score

Re: City of Rott: Street of Rott for PC, Mac, Linux DEMO onl

Postby jonathang » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:23 am

Zivouhr wrote:I have to create a few more bosses and try to add more variety to the next couple of levels.
Originally planned with 8 levels, but I'm going to aim to complete it with 5.


This happens to me almost all the time, I plan to create something with 10 bosses but then goes down to 3 (Martian Madness). How's the game progress going? ;)
Currently: Semi-Active.
Working on: Maybe putting my test games in gamejolt, polishing them a bit, but I still don't know when.
User avatar
jonathang
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: In front of my computer.
Score: 37 Give a positive score

Re: City of Rott: Street of Rott for PC, Mac, Linux DEMO onl

Postby Zivouhr » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:34 am

jonathang wrote:
Zivouhr wrote:I have to create a few more bosses and try to add more variety to the next couple of levels.
Originally planned with 8 levels, but I'm going to aim to complete it with 5.


This happens to me almost all the time, I plan to create something with 10 bosses but then goes down to 3 (Martian Madness). How's the game progress going? ;)


Thanks.
Good to hear it happens for you as well. It's easy to aim for a large project, but another thing to start and complete it with the limited time and challenge of the project with the reward being the satisfaction of completing it. I'm going to try to set more time aside for the game before the end of the summer to get it finished as my ambition is starting to return. Too many other art related projects though.

How are your games progressing Jonathang?
City of Rott Game created on Game Editor http://cityofrott.wordpress.com/
User avatar
Zivouhr
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 2:12 pm
Score: 58 Give a positive score

Re: City of Rott: Street of Rott for PC, Mac, Linux DEMO onl

Postby jonathang » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:47 am

Zivouhr wrote:
jonathang wrote:
Zivouhr wrote:I have to create a few more bosses and try to add more variety to the next couple of levels.
Originally planned with 8 levels, but I'm going to aim to complete it with 5.


This happens to me almost all the time, I plan to create something with 10 bosses but then goes down to 3 (Martian Madness). How's the game progress going? ;)


Thanks.
Good to hear it happens for you as well. It's easy to aim for a large project, but another thing to start and complete it with the limited time and challenge of the project with the reward being the satisfaction of completing it.
How are your games progressing Jonathang?


Hmm that's true I hate those "other things", but if it's done, it does feel good. I'm making a game testing my programming capabilities, but I get stuck so often it progresses ever so slowly.

Zivouhr wrote:I'm going to try to set more time aside for the game before the end of the summer to get it finished as my ambition is starting to return. Too many other art related projects though.


Hopefully your game will be completed soon, it's a very great game so far haha. I wish you luck for your other art projects, you're a very talented artist from your sprites and tiles in your games so far! ;)
Currently: Semi-Active.
Working on: Maybe putting my test games in gamejolt, polishing them a bit, but I still don't know when.
User avatar
jonathang
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: In front of my computer.
Score: 37 Give a positive score

Re: City of Rott: Street of Rott for PC, Mac, Linux DEMO onl

Postby Zivouhr » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:17 am

UPDATE: August 9, 2016
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... ts+of+rott

Hi Game-Editor forum members. I seriously forgot about Steam after the initial amount of user posts on Steampowered.com fazed out within a few days, but I just got an email from Steam saying this game was Greenlit. Thank you to everyone who supported it.

Here's the email info:
Your title, "City of Rott: Streets of Rott," has been Greenlit!
To continue, you will need to complete the necessary digital paperwork to sign up as a new Steamworks Partner.


I was not expecting that at all to be honest, and had since put more energy into other art projects to earn a living, but continuing work on this game in my spare time of course. So now I just have to start the next steps to align it with Steampowered.

The only thing I really was wishing for was the update for game editor to allow for resizing the window of the game screen, but I haven't heard back from Skydereign yet, understandably as he has college and other obligations in life and I know programming is not a 123 fast process.
City of Rott Game created on Game Editor http://cityofrott.wordpress.com/
User avatar
Zivouhr
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 2:12 pm
Score: 58 Give a positive score

Re: City of Rott: Street of Rott GREENLIT on steampowered.co

Postby lcl » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:37 am

Wow! That is incredibly great news! HUGE congratulations for getting your game on Steam! When you get everything ready, I'll be sure to buy your game from there and write a review for it as well! Zivouhr, I believe you've just made history in books of Game Editor by being the first person to get their GE-made game on Steam! :D I'm so happy for you! :D

EDIT: If you need help with coding something for the final version of the game, I'll be happy to help you! Just ask on the forums or PM me.
Last edited by lcl on Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
SABRE (semi-3D engine) official development topic: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12644
A game project that utilizes SABRE: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13297
User avatar
lcl
 
Posts: 2238
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:55 pm
Location: Finland
Score: 265 Give a positive score

Re: City of Rott: Street of Rott GREENLIT on steampowered.co

Postby Zivouhr » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:41 am

lcl wrote:Wow! That is incredibly great news! HUGE congratulations for getting your game on Steam! When you get everything ready, I'll be sure to buy your game from there and write a review for it as well! Zivouhr, I believe you've just made history in books of Game Editor by being the first person to get their GE-made game on Steam! :D I'm so happy for you! :D


Thanks a lot Lcl. I appreciate your comments. And also appreciate your programming tips early on with Tomb of Twelve, which made a difference in understanding Game-Editor much better. Thanks again. 8)

So the only thing I need to know as far as the game, is for those who have tried the demo version of this game on PC or Linux, to let me know if:

1. Does the game start up and is it playable?
2. Is the audio working for the music and sound effects, especially regarding Linux?
3. Do you get any messages about old audio units no longer being supported in future versions of your operating system/interface?

Here's the link to the demo versions on indiedb.com for the independent database of games website.
http://www.indiedb.com/games/city-of-ro ... ts-of-rott

Thanks!
City of Rott Game created on Game Editor http://cityofrott.wordpress.com/
User avatar
Zivouhr
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 2:12 pm
Score: 58 Give a positive score

Re: City of Rott: Street of Rott GREENLIT on steampowered.co

Postby lcl » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:53 am

I'll download the demo this evening and quickly check it out and report you how it works on my system (Win10 x64). See also the edit I just made to my previous post.
SABRE (semi-3D engine) official development topic: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12644
A game project that utilizes SABRE: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13297
User avatar
lcl
 
Posts: 2238
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:55 pm
Location: Finland
Score: 265 Give a positive score

Re: City of Rott: Street of Rott GREENLIT on steampowered.co

Postby schnellboot » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:53 pm

How can I search for it on steam?
Couldnt find it yet
schnellboot
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:35 pm
Location: Germany
Score: 97 Give a positive score

Re: City of Rott: Street of Rott GREENLIT on steampowered.co

Postby lcl » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:35 pm

schnellboot wrote:How can I search for it on steam?
Couldnt find it yet

The game is not yet on Steam. It got Greenlit, and that means that the game now can get to Steam but only once it's finished and the Steamworks SDK has been integrated to it.
SABRE (semi-3D engine) official development topic: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12644
A game project that utilizes SABRE: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13297
User avatar
lcl
 
Posts: 2238
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:55 pm
Location: Finland
Score: 265 Give a positive score

Re: City of Rott: Street of Rott GREENLIT on steampowered.co

Postby Zivouhr » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:12 am

lcl wrote:
schnellboot wrote:How can I search for it on steam?
Couldnt find it yet

The game is not yet on Steam. It got Greenlit, and that means that the game now can get to Steam but only once it's finished and the Steamworks SDK has been integrated to it.


Hi Lcl,

Thanks offering tips and help if needed, thank you!
Here is the link to the game download of the demo: On indiedb.com since Steampowered.com is only the promotional info and approval, not the actual game yet.

So the only thing I need to know as far as the game, is for those who have tried the demo version of this game on PC or Linux, to let me know if:

Here's the link to the demo versions on indiedb.com for the independent database of games website.
http://www.indiedb.com/games/city-of-ro ... ts-of-rott

1. Does the game start up and is it playable?
2. Is the audio working for the music and sound effects, especially regarding Linux?
3. Do you get any messages about old audio units no longer being supported in future versions of your operating system/interface?
City of Rott Game created on Game Editor http://cityofrott.wordpress.com/
User avatar
Zivouhr
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 2:12 pm
Score: 58 Give a positive score

Re: City of Rott: Street of Rott GREENLIT on steampowered.co

Postby lcl » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:29 pm

Here are my answers to your questions (I'm using Win10 x64):

1. The game starts up and is playable. But Windows SmartScreen blocks the program and shows a screen like this on first startup:
Image
(That's not an actual screenshot, but an image I found from Google. The message I get is the same but in Finnish.)
I have to click 'More info' and then select 'Run anyway' to be able to play the game. After completing these steps once, SmartScreen trusts the program and doesn't show the message anymore. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything you can do about this, because this is a problem with something about how GE exports games. It may be that the message is shown because the program is not digitally signed.
2. Audio works without problems.
3. I don't get any messages related to sound hardware.
SABRE (semi-3D engine) official development topic: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12644
A game project that utilizes SABRE: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13297
User avatar
lcl
 
Posts: 2238
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:55 pm
Location: Finland
Score: 265 Give a positive score

Re: City of Rott: Street of Rott GREENLIT on steampowered.co

Postby Zivouhr » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:10 am

lcl wrote:Here are my answers to your questions (I'm using Win10 x64):

1. The game starts up and is playable. But Windows SmartScreen blocks the program and shows a screen like this on first startup:
Image
(That's not an actual screenshot, but an image I found from Google. The message I get is the same but in Finnish.)
I have to click 'More info' and then select 'Run anyway' to be able to play the game. After completing these steps once, SmartScreen trusts the program and doesn't show the message anymore. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything you can do about this, because this is a problem with something about how GE exports games. It may be that the message is shown because the program is not digitally signed.
2. Audio works without problems.
3. I don't get any messages related to sound hardware.


Thanks a lot Lcl. My computer does that too whenever I download a new game. It's a warning that says something like "This was downloaded from the Internet, are you sure you want to open it?" So it's a safeguard for the user before opening any new program I believe at least. One question would be, if you download another game from indiedb.com, does it give the same message I wonder? If so, then it could be related to the website, which checks the files to make sure there are no viruses detected, and has to approve of the file before it's allowed on indiedb.com, from my experience and their messaging.

Glad to hear you didn't get any messages about the sound. Most gamers will be playing on PC, but I'll have to accept that game editor's audio units are older format for Mac anyway. Linux, I believe has sound based on Tomb of Twelve feedback from what I remember.

Thanks again Lcl. Any other tips or suggestions you may have are appreciated.
City of Rott Game created on Game Editor http://cityofrott.wordpress.com/
User avatar
Zivouhr
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 2:12 pm
Score: 58 Give a positive score

Re: City of Rott: Street of Rott for PC, Mac, Linux DEMO onl

Postby makslane » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:52 pm

Congratulations for your game, an thanks for making it with Game Editor.

Zivouhr wrote:The only thing I really was wishing for was the update for game editor to allow for resizing the window of the game screen, but I haven't heard back from Skydereign yet, understandably as he has college and other obligations in life and I know programming is not a 123 fast process.


The fixed screen size limitation is an old concern of mine.
To many ideas to solve, but none implemented, sorry.

A possible solution, for a desktop game with score and other screen info actors, is to position this actors based on width and height of the view actor.
But this need changes in Game Editor code to let game engine knows the desktop resolution.

A possible workaround now, is to choose a popular resolution you know will works on all platforms (may be 1920x1080), and make the game fullscreen.

PS.: The guys here still great :-)
Game Editor is an open source game creator software that's wants to pay it's developers to keep evolving.
If you like Game Editor, make a review!
makslane
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3947
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 6:47 pm
Score: 182 Give a positive score

Re: City of Rott: Street of Rott for PC, Mac, Linux DEMO onl

Postby jonathang » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:40 pm

makslane wrote:Congratulations for your game, an thanks for making it with Game Editor.

Zivouhr wrote:The only thing I really was wishing for was the update for game editor to allow for resizing the window of the game screen, but I haven't heard back from Skydereign yet, understandably as he has college and other obligations in life and I know programming is not a 123 fast process.


The fixed screen size limitation is an old concern of mine.
To many ideas to solve, but none implemented, sorry.

A possible solution, for a desktop game with score and other screen info actors, is to position this actors based on width and height of the view actor.
But this need changes in Game Editor code to let game engine knows the desktop resolution.

A possible workaround now, is to choose a popular resolution you know will works on all platforms (may be 1920x1080), and make the game fullscreen.

PS.: The guys here still great :-)


Hey Maks, great to see you are still sticking around. :D

Also that alternate solution for placing actors based on width and height of view is a great idea despite not knowing the resolution, maybe so that it's easy to make geds with different view sizes in which a person has to choose one depending on their screen resolution like a ged for...
800x600
1024x768
1366x768
or 1920x1080

Actually this solution is interesting to implement on other games, never thought of that...
Currently: Semi-Active.
Working on: Maybe putting my test games in gamejolt, polishing them a bit, but I still don't know when.
User avatar
jonathang
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: In front of my computer.
Score: 37 Give a positive score

PreviousNext

Return to Game Development

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron