Game-Editor Revival

Game Editor comments and discussion.

How would you join this project?

I will help the developement of the engine
5
19%
I will help the developement of the website&forums
4
15%
I will advert & distribute Game-Editor
5
19%
I will donate for Game-Editor
2
8%
I just want this to happan
9
35%
I dont care.
1
4%
 
Total votes : 26

Game-Editor Revival

Postby bat78 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:49 am

Hi everone,

Root of the event
Everyone is asking, why gE looks dead. I think the answer of that great question is more then obvious.
There is noone to distribute and advert gE. If there is someone.. he will make people join the community, and when they join, they will be dissapointed, because of the activity and the support.
Conclusion:
- gE need more website developers, ready to spend time to mobilize the forum and the site. - To make people enjoy the stay in Game-Editor.
- gE need more ww distributors and adverts, so a lot of people will have the chance to give it a try.

Why revive?
Because Game-Editor have a lot of good sides. The bad sides just have to be fixed, which requires time and developers.
All Game-Editor needs is updating the content to a newer one, because it is a bit outdated, considering the interface and language (in that number i also include the website and forums).
Why did you chooce Game-Editor? You can try finding a better and easier game engine for 2D Game creation and you'll see Game-Editor's advantages that goes in vein.
Do you enjoy working with Game-Editor? Game-Editor's environment is friendly. All that would matter in this case will be your skills in C.
I am sure everyone, would like Game-Editor's revival.

What i suggest?
There are a lot of things i can suggest.
Making a topic, called "Game-Editor Developement Threat". Skydreign (or whoever up with the Game-Editor source code) will lead the project. He will hire good developers, ready to help Game-Editor's developement. It would be nice if the leader is ready to "introduce you in the source code". Of course.. he wouldn't waste that much time to teach everyone individually, so another idea is writing a conspect in .docx, introducing Game-Editor's source code and everyone you have to know about it to start working on it.

What can i do?
If it is a matter of money i will have no problem to donate. I will be able to do weekly/montly donations. Bulgarian's currency is awful though (10€ = 20 BGN) Considering the bad wage of averagely (600 BGN / month). It would be nice if there are others ready to support in need of course.
But thats not the general thing i can help with. I would love to join Game-Editor's developement on the same system. (I am not 100% aware with SDL) But i am ready to learn everythign i need. I have enough time and i am familiar with C. (passed two courses for networking and Deep C). I also enjoy creating GNU Graphical Design and animations.

I will be updating the threat occasionally.
Thanks for the interest.
Future of "Project Game-Editor Revival" here
User avatar
bat78
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:13 pm
Location: Bulgaria, Sofia
Score: 83 Give a positive score

Re: Game-Editor Revival

Postby foleyjo » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:41 pm

I think more people will use Game-Editor when it get's Android support, or if it gets HTML5 support.
I don't even think it needs to add any other features.

The type of games people make or better suited to websites or phones.
Flappy Bird could have been knocked up in about an hour from one of the decent developers on here and it could have been done with very little coding.
Now imagine the advertising potential for GE someone did make a game for Android that had the success of flappy bird and made lots of money for it's creator.
People would come flocking to it.
KISS -Keep It Simple Stoopid
foleyjo
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:15 pm
Score: 15 Give a positive score

Re: Game-Editor Revival

Postby bat78 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:15 pm

foleyjo wrote:I think more people will use Game-Editor when it get's Android support, or if it gets HTML5 support.
I don't even think it needs to add any other features.

The type of games people make or better suited to websites or phones.
Flappy Bird could have been knocked up in about an hour from one of the decent developers on here and it could have been done with very little coding.
Now imagine the advertising potential for GE someone did make a game for Android that had the success of flappy bird and made lots of money for it's creator.
People would come flocking to it.


@foleyjo, The Android support is one of thousands of features that gE needs. Also there are a lot of fixes i suspect.
Don't worry about that, when i receve a feedback, the first thing we'll start from will be the to-do-list. I have one already of course, with 323 things for developement.
Future of "Project Game-Editor Revival" here
User avatar
bat78
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:13 pm
Location: Bulgaria, Sofia
Score: 83 Give a positive score

Re: Game-Editor Revival

Postby knucklecrunchgames » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:37 pm

More popular games in the world made by gameEditor will do the trick. (Easier said than done)
User avatar
knucklecrunchgames
 
Posts: 1124
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:01 pm
Location: In gameEditor.exe
Score: 17 Give a positive score

Re: Game-Editor Revival

Postby bat78 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:20 pm

knucklecrunchgames wrote:More popular games in the world made by gameEditor will do the trick. (Easier said than done)

Nomatter how hard it was.. hey i understood what did you meant!
And yeah, popular games, adverting gE.. are one of the best things.
Future of "Project Game-Editor Revival" here
User avatar
bat78
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:13 pm
Location: Bulgaria, Sofia
Score: 83 Give a positive score

Re: Game-Editor Revival

Postby foleyjo » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:12 am

bat78 - I'm patiently waiting on android support. I'm looking forward to it. Is HTML 5 support comming to?

I like your suggestions for the best way to revive Game-Editor especially on a Game-Editor engine development point of view, but on a user level I think that the devices you can make games for are the most important thing right now and portable or webbased games will have the most intrest. Especially as there is no licensing now.

What we could all do is make a gentlemans agreement that in the games we publish, we place adverts for games from other forum users, giving priority to games of members that have assisted the development of your game in someway, making sure it also states "Created with game editor" and a link to the game-editor homepage.

All it needs then is for a couple of games to get popular and people to say "I can do that", for the crowds to come flocking back.

The only thing that would need considering though is quality control before a game is uploaded. Would you want your game advertised on the worst game ever written I wonder?
KISS -Keep It Simple Stoopid
foleyjo
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:15 pm
Score: 15 Give a positive score

Re: Game-Editor Revival

Postby bat78 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:54 am

foleyjo wrote:bat78 - I'm patiently waiting on android support. I'm looking forward to it. Is HTML 5 support comming to?

I like your suggestions for the best way to revive Game-Editor especially on a Game-Editor engine development point of view, but on a user level I think that the devices you can make games for are the most important thing right now and portable or webbased games will have the most intrest. Especially as there is no licensing now.

What we could all do is make a gentlemans agreement that in the games we publish, we place adverts for games from other forum users, giving priority to games of members that have assisted the development of your game in someway, making sure it also states "Created with game editor" and a link to the game-editor homepage.

All it needs then is for a couple of games to get popular and people to say "I can do that", for the crowds to come flocking back.

The only thing that would need considering though is quality control before a game is uploaded. Would you want your game advertised on the worst game ever written I wonder?


I have no problem in making cool things, adverting gE. Me and LcL already work on something like that.
Meanwhile.. someone need to revive the site and meanwhile, developing the engine. Thats what the topic is for. We'r going to be unite, to take the things in our hands.. after we get confirmed, the conspect is done and our job is clear.
Image
Writign "skydreign" in google, that post is being the first result.
Future of "Project Game-Editor Revival" here
User avatar
bat78
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:13 pm
Location: Bulgaria, Sofia
Score: 83 Give a positive score

Re: Game-Editor Revival

Postby foleyjo » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:29 am

I see where you are coming from now. I thought the thread was more about a push to get more people using Game-Editor rather than just how Game-Editor can be developed.
KISS -Keep It Simple Stoopid
foleyjo
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:15 pm
Score: 15 Give a positive score

Re: Game-Editor Revival

Postby bat78 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:49 am

foleyjo wrote:I see where you are coming from now. I thought the thread was more about a push to get more people using Game-Editor rather than just how Game-Editor can be developed.

It is about all. I will arrange a team to distribute gE, develope gE, develope the website, donate and everything you saw in the poll.
Future of "Project Game-Editor Revival" here
User avatar
bat78
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:13 pm
Location: Bulgaria, Sofia
Score: 83 Give a positive score

Re: Game-Editor Revival

Postby skydereign » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:59 pm

bat78 wrote:Writign "skydreign" in google, that post is being the first result.

That's because my username is skydereign, not skydreign.
User avatar
skydereign
 
Posts: 3513
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:29 am
Score: 588 Give a positive score

Re: Game-Editor Revival

Postby bat78 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:40 pm

skydereign wrote:
bat78 wrote:Writign "skydreign" in google, that post is being the first result.

That's because my username is skydereign, not skydreign.


Oh. I'm sorry for spelling your name wrong, skydereign. I had to read your name char by char to get the whole string properlly.
I am not native speaking and skydreign is what made sense to me.. sorry.
The thing that sucks the most.. is that i spelled "skydreign" many times.. and noone corrected me. I HOPE you understand this.
(When i type "skydereign" in google, the only results are for Sky Design :roll: )
Good thing you happaned to be here to correct me.. the question is.. will you be here for something else too?
Future of "Project Game-Editor Revival" here
User avatar
bat78
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:13 pm
Location: Bulgaria, Sofia
Score: 83 Give a positive score

Re: Game-Editor Revival

Postby digiot » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:00 pm

@ bat78 :

Brave one, massive project !
bat78 wrote:All Game-Editor needs is updating the content to a newer one, because
it is a bit outdated, considering the interface and language (in that
number i also include the website and forums).

Meanwhile.. someone need to revive the site and meanwhile, developing
the engine. Thats what the topic is for. We'r going to be unite, to take
the things in our hands.. after we get confirmed, the conspect is done
and our job is clear.

It is about all. I will arrange a team to distribute gE, develope gE,
develope the website, donate and everything you saw in the poll.

But what is the conclusion, do you really plan to fork GE ?

The reasons, nothing is happen here, are all wellknown:

Makslane has his hands on his project, we can be glad, that he gave sky some
limited access to the code and the side.

"Hiring" developers is more of a dream here, they have to come out of this
community, or being attracted to contribute for free.

What others stated, the best advert for GE are great games, produced with it.
But as soon as people here have enough skills, they are running away.
Though some really nice games have been made with GE !

And last, but not least, the exports ! I have no clue, which exports are working
in which GE-version, that has to be fixed with priority.
Akr comes into my mind, has anyone contact with him ?
Maybe, he would work again on his Android port, when he can see some serious
activity here !

My options to help are very restricted. I've tried, to give the Linux version
a more meaningful window titel than "Unknown window", but I couldn't even find
the code in GE's source code, where GE is talking with the X server.
bat78 wrote:...so another idea is writing a conspect in .docx, introducing Game-Editor's
source code and everyone you have to know about it to start working on it.

That would be a great help !
bat78 wrote:I would love to join Game-Editor's developement on the same system.
(I am not 100% aware with SDL) But i am ready to learn everythign i need.
I have enough time and i am familiar with C.

That sounds good, when you can catch Sky and Lcl, you would be 3 !
Also NoH has a GE support thread running, maybe you can coordinate your
activities !

Much success, sure you will get some help from us here !


@foleyjo
foleyjo wrote:Flappy Bird could have been knocked up in about an hour from one of the
decent developers on here and it could have been done with very little coding.

Flappy Bird, ha, that would only be good for a little demo here !
foleyjo wrote:Now imagine the advertising potential for GE someone did make a game for
Android that had the success of flappy bird and made lots of money for it's
creator.
People would come flocking to it.

But that success story also has its drawback, you know how it ended, he's gone
mad of all that money !


Cheers !
User avatar
digiot
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:29 pm
Score: 7 Give a positive score

Re: Game-Editor Revival

Postby bat78 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:27 pm

Once.. gE was populated decently, even with the older versions of gE.
So that can happan again.. even better.

I won't talk about myself a lot. Even if i do.. it wouldn't be that valuable. Sometimes it may sound unserious because of some grammer mistakes of mine.
I am a free developer in gE, i receive enough by selling private programs.
I will start with my activity once, after sky agree and give his opinion. I have a lot of things to do that will attract people in the project.
I just don't want to do that in vein, so im just waiting for a premission response and/or support from someone authroized (i.e skydereign).
Future of "Project Game-Editor Revival" here
User avatar
bat78
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:13 pm
Location: Bulgaria, Sofia
Score: 83 Give a positive score

Re: Game-Editor Revival

Postby skydereign » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:10 pm

bat78 wrote:Oh. I'm sorry for spelling your name wrong, skydereign

No worries. I don't think anyone brought it up because it didn't really matter.

bat78 wrote:the question is.. will you be here for something else too?

I've been extremely busy with school. The past six months I've been working on my senior game design project which is why there hasn't been any gE development progress since then. I've been completely tied up doing school projects, but I'll be graduating pretty soon and I'll upload formal release of gE 1.4.1. Also I'll be aiming to get the android port back on its feet. I am currently in no position to hire developers to work on gE, and surely gE doesn't pay for itself. I may be able to write an intro guide to gE dev in the next few months.

In terms of website developers this has been a longstanding problem. I don't have control of the actual website, so I can only manage the forum and the wiki. A new website is long overdue but as it stands I don't have the power to change it.
User avatar
skydereign
 
Posts: 3513
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:29 am
Score: 588 Give a positive score

Re: Game-Editor Revival

Postby bat78 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:58 pm

skydereign wrote:
bat78 wrote:Oh. I'm sorry for spelling your name wrong, skydereign

No worries. I don't think anyone brought it up because it didn't really matter.

bat78 wrote:the question is.. will you be here for something else too?

I've been extremely busy with school. The past six months I've been working on my senior game design project which is why there hasn't been any gE development progress since then. I've been completely tied up doing school projects, but I'll be graduating pretty soon and I'll upload formal release of gE 1.4.1. Also I'll be aiming to get the android port back on its feet. I am currently in no position to hire developers to work on gE, and surely gE doesn't pay for itself. I may be able to write an intro guide to gE dev in the next few months.

In terms of website developers this has been a longstanding problem. I don't have control of the actual website, so I can only manage the forum and the wiki. A new website is long overdue but as it stands I don't have the power to change it.


As for the site.. i have guys ready to make new, neoteric and awesome website /and/ forums. We'r happy to know that you didn't gave up on 1.4.1b (im sure there are a lot of efforts thrown there anyway). I understand your position, but isn't gE a GPL-licensed open-source platform? Guide for gE developement is more then im asking for!. About the publishing, we need to get a premission from the local author (Makslane R.). i am certain that he wouldn't reject.. why would he....
So if i understand correct.. since now.. we should be only worried about Maks's premission and will we succeed in contacting him? Any chance for pr@game-editor.com ?

Also just to know, we are working on larger projects then ever, mentioned in gE. And we will end them up.
- Perfect Online Module for game-editor, containing server for easy file transmit, and online module, containing chat, easy online creation environment, waiting room, settings, fps boost/compensation scripts, file transmit control, delta time synchronization and automatic "onlinizer".
- 3D Raycasting engine with everything that one 3D game would contain.
- Only Me on bitfox library, allowing thousands of drawing-to-bmp and from bmp i/o functions.

When those projects are ready, they will be perfect for the new Game-Editor advertisment. All im fighting for.. is premission, gE dev support and help from others, so we can do a better job according to a good time.
Future of "Project Game-Editor Revival" here
User avatar
bat78
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:13 pm
Location: Bulgaria, Sofia
Score: 83 Give a positive score

Next

Return to GE - General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest